LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   All Things KDE5/Plasma for Slackware Users. (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/all-things-kde5-plasma-for-slackware-users-4175670109/)

zeebra 09-04-2021 05:02 AM

Curiosity has me wondering if people around here use Akonadi and kdeconnect(kconnect?). So do you? And for what?

I'm trying to weight the pro's a con's a little bit, because those are the elements of KDE that I personally like the least, and I don't even use it anyways, so my view might be unreasonably negative.

brianL 09-04-2021 05:20 AM

I've used kdeconnect briefly, just to test it. The 14.2 version doesn't work - too old. The current version did work OK when I tried it months ago.
Could be useful, I suppose.

chrisretusn 09-04-2021 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 6281483)
This week's new features, bug fixes and improvements,
https://pointieststick.com/2021/09/0...s-of-bugfixes/

Look forward to this particular fix:
Quote:

Removable devices, discs, and SD cards once again appear as expected in the Disks & Devices applet after being unplugged and then re-plugged (Fabio Bas, Plasma 5.23)

chrisretusn 09-04-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebra (Post 6281485)
Curiosity has me wondering if people around here use Akonadi and kdeconnect(kconnect?). So do you? And for what?

I'm trying to weight the pro's a con's a little bit, because those are the elements of KDE that I personally like the least, and I don't even use it anyways, so my view might be unreasonably negative.

Akonadi is needed for Knotes which I use. That the only application I use Akonadi for as far as I can tell.

As for KDE Connect. I love it. I connect it to my two Samsung cell phones, it also connected between other computer, for example this desktop and my laptop. I can share clipboard between devices, transfer files to and from my cell phones. Right now I have it paired with two cell phones.

ctrlaltca 09-04-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisretusn (Post 6281494)
Look forward to this particular fix:

In the meanwhile you can just grab these three files:

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...ge/contents/ui

and replace the ones in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui

You'll need to restart plasma for it to pick up the fix.

Spoiler: i'm the author of the patch

chrisretusn 09-04-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlaltca (Post 6281523)
In the meanwhile you can just grab these three files:

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...ge/contents/ui

and replace the ones in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui

You'll need to restart plasma for it to pick up the fix.

Spoiler: i'm the author of the patch

Ha, recognized the name. I looked at the patch and decided to wait on Slackware's next update. I will try this out. Thanks! :hattip:

marav 09-04-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlaltca (Post 6281523)
In the meanwhile you can just grab these three files:

https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...ge/contents/ui

and replace the ones in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier/contents/ui

You'll need to restart plasma for it to pick up the fix.

Spoiler: i'm the author of the patch

perfect
thanks

drgibbon 09-04-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebra (Post 6281485)
Curiosity has me wondering if people around here use Akonadi and kdeconnect(kconnect?). So do you? And for what?

I'm trying to weight the pro's a con's a little bit, because those are the elements of KDE that I personally like the least, and I don't even use it anyways, so my view might be unreasonably negative.

No idea about Akonadi, but KDE Connect is excellent, I use it quite a bit for transferring files and sometimes for sharing the clipboard between desktop and phone.

chrisretusn 09-06-2021 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlaltca (Post 6281523)
Spoiler: i'm the author of the patch

As expected, works. I make a slackware package to do the patch so I can distribute among my other computers and quickly "unfix" when it's incorporated in the next version.

Out of curiosity, you may or may not know but, why aren't these devices simply unmounted. It really annoying to have to remove and reinsert a device if you find you need to mount it again?

richarson 09-06-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebra (Post 6281485)
Curiosity has me wondering if people around here use Akonadi and kdeconnect(kconnect?). So do you? And for what?

I'm trying to weight the pro's a con's a little bit, because those are the elements of KDE that I personally like the least, and I don't even use it anyways, so my view might be unreasonably negative.

akonadi is not something you use, but it's a daemon needed/used by some applications, PIM mainly but I don't know if other apps make use of it.
In my case I use kmail and korganizer pretty heavily and akonadi is a bit of a nuisance but I learned to live with it :)
At least it's not the nightmare it was at the beginning :)

kdeconnect on the other hand is super useful to connect my various mobile devices to my laptop.

BTW: are you sure you meant kdeconnect and not baloo, the file indexer? It seems more related to akonadi than kdeconnect.

Cheers!

ctrlaltca 09-06-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisretusn (Post 6282052)
As expected, works. I make a slackware package to do the patch so I can distribute among my other computers and quickly "unfix" when it's incorporated in the next version.

Out of curiosity, you may or may not know but, why aren't these devices simply unmounted. It really annoying to have to remove and reinsert a device if you find you need to mount it again?

The devicenotifier applet calls the "unmount" method of solid, the kde framework that handles hardware.
It looks like solid always tries to eject / poweroff devices after unmount:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/so...ccess.cpp#L222
So right now there's no way from the applet to umount the device without killing it.

zeebra 09-06-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richarson (Post 6282160)
akonadi is not something you use, but it's a daemon needed/used by some applications, PIM mainly but I don't know if other apps make use of it.
In my case I use kmail and korganizer pretty heavily and akonadi is a bit of a nuisance but I learned to live with it :)
At least it's not the nightmare it was at the beginning :)

kdeconnect on the other hand is super useful to connect my various mobile devices to my laptop.

BTW: are you sure you meant kdeconnect and not baloo, the file indexer? It seems more related to akonadi than kdeconnect.

Cheers!

Well, you do use Akonadi if.. And I don't if, I else, so I don't use it at all.
I did mean kdeconnect or kconnect or whatever it's called. I don't use that either. I had the impression it's mostly for mobile phones of the apple and google type, but clearly it's used for other things too as explained here by others.

Baloo is relevant too yes. Didn't think of that one.

richarson 09-06-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebra (Post 6282206)
Well, you do use Akonadi if.. And I don't if, I else, so I don't use it at all.

Fair enough :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebra (Post 6282206)
I did mean kdeconnect or kconnect or whatever it's called. I don't use that either. I had the impression it's mostly for mobile phones of the apple and google type, but clearly it's used for other things too as explained here by others.

Baloo is relevant too yes. Didn't think of that one.

kdeconnect started life as a KDE<->Android conector but was then ported to iOS, Plasma Mobile, Sailfish, Gnome, etc.

And at some point it also got PC<->PC capabilities, though I haven't used it that way.

RadicalDreamer 09-06-2021 09:44 PM

I'm having issues burning data to a bluray with k3b.
I set it to burn at 4x but it isn't obeying and I end up with a "Fatal error during recording: Input/output error." It is burning around 1.8/1.7x instead.
Code:

Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 3.1-fix-20151126
growisofs: 7.1

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/sr0: pre-formatting blank BD-R for 24.8GB...
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x4390KBps.
  45875200/21995444224 ( 0.2%) @1.8x, remaining 55:49 RBU 100.0% UBU  4.2%
  71106560/21995444224 ( 0.3%) @1.7x, remaining 51:23 RBU 100.0% UBU  98.6%
  98631680/21995444224 ( 0.4%) @1.8x, remaining 51:48 RBU 100.0% UBU  98.6%
  124944384/21995444224 ( 0.6%) @1.8x, remaining 49:35 RBU  99.9% UBU  98.6%
  151388160/21995444224 ( 0.7%) @1.8x, remaining 48:05 RBU 100.0% UBU  98.6%
  178913280/21995444224 ( 0.8%) @1.8x, remaining 48:46 RBU 100.0% UBU  98.6%
  205127680/21995444224 ( 0.9%) @1.7x, remaining 47:48 RBU 100.0% UBU  98.6%


chrisretusn 09-07-2021 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrlaltca (Post 6282161)
The devicenotifier applet calls the "unmount" method of solid, the kde framework that handles hardware.
It looks like solid always tries to eject / poweroff devices after unmount:
https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/so...ccess.cpp#L222
So right now there's no way from the applet to umount the device without killing it.

Thanks! I just looked through the Solid bug list, don't see anyone else complaining, guess it's just me. This has been around since the beginning I think, so it's not new. It is a minor yet somewhat annoying behavior for me at least. The hardest part about KDE is figuring out what Product/Component an issue belongs in. ;-)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.