LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   All Things KDE5/Plasma for Slackware Users. (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/all-things-kde5-plasma-for-slackware-users-4175670109/)

cwizardone 02-23-2020 08:12 AM

All Things KDE5/Plasma for Slackware Users.
 
A thread where we can discuss all things KDE5, aka, Plasma 5, as they relate to Slackware.

New features and bug fixes for this last week as reported by "Nate".
It is a long list and can be found here,
https://pointieststick.com/2020/02/2...week-in-kde-2/

RadicalDreamer 02-23-2020 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have run into an issue with the "System Tray" widget after updating Plasma 5 "latest" build today.
It says
Code:

Error loading QML file: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:386:19: Type ExpandedRepresentation unavailable
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/ExpandedRepresentation.qml:134:9: PlasmoidPopupsContainer is not a type


rherbert 02-23-2020 10:28 AM

Weird error after upgrading ktown this morning
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just FYI, after running slackpkg+ to upgrade AleinBOB's ktown kde/plasma to 5.18.1 this morning, I got this error in the system tray and no applet icons were displayed:

Code:

Error loading QML file: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:386:19: Type ExpandedRepresentation unavailable
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/ExpandedRepresentation.qml:134:9: PlasmoidPopupsContainer is not a type

Renaming
Code:

/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/PlasmoidPopupsContainer.qm
as PlasmoidPopupsContainer.qml and restarting KDE fixed the problem. The file is dated Feb. 18 @ 8:23 AM.

This is probably limited to my one machine. HTH anyway.

RadicalDreamer 02-23-2020 10:30 AM

Wow, our posts are eerily familiar. Thanks for the fix :D

rherbert 02-23-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer (Post 6093321)
I have run into an issue with the "System Tray" widget after updating Plasma 5 "latest" build today.
It says
Code:

Error loading QML file: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:386:19: Type ExpandedRepresentation unavailable
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/ExpandedRepresentation.qml:134:9: PlasmoidPopupsContainer is not a type


Okay. Not just me then. ;-)

Alien Bob 02-23-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rherbert (Post 6093324)
Just FYI, after running slackpkg+ to upgrade AleinBOB's ktown kde/plasma to 5.18.1 this morning, I got this error in the system tray and no applet icons were displayed:

Code:

Error loading QML file: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:386:19: Type ExpandedRepresentation unavailable
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/ExpandedRepresentation.qml:134:9: PlasmoidPopupsContainer is not a type

Renaming
Code:

/usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/PlasmoidPopupsContainer.qm
as PlasmoidPopupsContainer.qml and restarting KDE fixed the problem. The file is dated Feb. 18 @ 8:23 AM.

This is probably limited to my one machine. HTH anyway.

Argh! Bitten by the tar bug on Slackware 14.2 again!
I unpacked (explodepkg) and re-packaged (makepkg) the plasma-workspace to fix the startkwayland script in there. It has happened in the past that files in the package that - excluding leading slash - are 101 characters long, get truncated to 100 characters, thus losing the final "l" in the above case. you'll see plenty of that searching the Internet for "tar truncated 100 characters".
I'll re-build the plasma-workspace package to fix this.

rherbert 02-23-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 6093332)
Argh! Bitten by the tar bug on Slackware 14.2 again!
I unpacked (explodepkg) and re-packaged (makepkg) the plasma-workspace to fix the startkwayland script in there. It has happened in the past that files in the package that - excluding leading slash - are 101 characters long, get truncated to 100 characters, thus losing the final "l" in the above case. you'll see plenty of that searching the Internet for "tar truncated 100 characters".
I'll re-build the plasma-workspace package to fix this.

Thanks very much for the explanation and the quick fix, Eric.

Best.

hitest 02-23-2020 11:23 AM

Many thanks for your tireless efforts with KDE-plasma, Eric! I am looking forward to running KDE5 on Slackware. :cool:

gauchao 02-24-2020 07:11 AM

Thank you Eric!

RadicalDreamer 02-25-2020 07:35 PM

K3b hates me again. I have set permissions to 4755 root.cdrom for cdrdao and cdrecord. growisofs is set to 0750 root.cdrom. It stops trying to burn a disc, telling me "cdrecord has no permission to open the device."
Code:

brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Feb 25 20:32 /dev/sr0
I can't change permissions in k3b to whatever it is recommending because: "Unable to execute the action: DBus Backend error: service start org.kde.k3b failed: Cannot launch daemon, file not found or permissions invalid." I have no idea how to make this stuff happy. Any suggestions?

rherbert 02-25-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer (Post 6094284)
K3b hates me again. I have set permissions to 4755 root.cdrom for cdrdao and cdrecord. growisofs is set to 0750 root.cdrom. It stops trying to burn a disc, telling me "cdrecord has no permission to open the device."
Code:

brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Feb 25 20:32 /dev/sr0
I can't change permissions in k3b to whatever it is recommending because: "Unable to execute the action: DBus Backend error: service start org.kde.k3b failed: Cannot launch daemon, file not found or permissions invalid." I have no idea how to make this stuff happy. Any suggestions?

Same here.

First thing I did was add my user to the cdrom group and reboot:

# usermod -a -G cdrom rherbert

Then, as root (sudo didn't work) at the terminal:

# chmod 4710 /usr/bin/cdrdao
# chmod 4710 /usr/bin/cdrecord
# chmod 4710 /usr/bin/cdrecord (yes, twice)
# chmod 750 /usr/bin/growisofs

All this to satisfy the requirements under Settings, Configure k3b, Programs, Permissions.

Also: chown root.cdrom /usr/bin/cdrdao, cdrecord and growisofs

Now to figure out why it's so painfully slow.

HTH.

rherbert 02-25-2020 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rherbert (Post 6094301)
Now to figure out why it's so painfully slow.

Cheap CD-RW medium. Much faster with a quality CD-R.

enine 02-26-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 6093332)
Argh! Bitten by the tar bug on Slackware 14.2 again!
I unpacked (explodepkg) and re-packaged (makepkg) the plasma-workspace to fix the startkwayland script in there. It has happened in the past that files in the package that - excluding leading slash - are 101 characters long, get truncated to 100 characters, thus losing the final "l" in the above case. you'll see plenty of that searching the Internet for "tar truncated 100 characters".
I'll re-build the plasma-workspace package to fix this.

Too bad we don't know someone who could update 14.2's tar package :p


KDE's Dolphin has always had this network services link that says
Code:

The KDNSSD library has been built without Zeroconf support.
if you click on it. Is this something useful and should it be built with it?


With the Jan KDE5/Plasma does anyone else get two volume controls?

cwizardone 02-26-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enine (Post 6094672)
......With the Jan KDE5/Plasma does anyone else get two volume controls?

Ditto! (yes. :) )

gegechris99 02-27-2020 02:38 PM

When I first installed KDE5 at end of 2019, I also had two volume controls in system tray. One was the Plasma audio control and the other one was kmix. I uninstalled kmix package to keep only the Plasma volume control.

RadicalDreamer 02-28-2020 09:24 AM

Thanks rherbert!

You can edit your System tray to hide one of volume controls. I prefer to use kmix because I can switch audio sources with it with ease and I like the other one because I can adjust the volume with it with my keyboard so I just hide it.

cwizardone 02-29-2020 12:33 PM

Just, within the last hour, I installed kde5 to a recent installation of -current and, yes, there are two volume icons.

cwizardone 02-29-2020 01:06 PM

Back in Xfce-4.12 now, but while using kde5 I noticed the GTK theme settings were missing, or, perhaps, they have been moved and I couldn't find them.

rherbert 02-29-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 6095605)
Back in Xfce-4.12 now, but while using kde5 I noticed the GTK theme settings were missing, or, perhaps, they have been moved and I couldn't find them.

https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/pam...ges-available/


Quote:

alienbob
February 13, 2020 at 14:16
From the announcement: ” GTK apps now also automatically inherit Plasma’s settings for fonts, icons, mouse cursors and more.”

For now, and as always, the best reference for KDE5/Plasma remains AlienBOB's blog. Just sayin'.

cwizardone 02-29-2020 05:49 PM

Saw this, "...a much better integration of GTK+ based applications with the Plasma desktop theme, through the use of client-side decorations...."

But didn't read it to mean the GTK settings options had been completely removed. I would rather have the settings, but, then, I won't be running kde5, except for testing, every now and then.

cwizardone 03-01-2020 11:08 AM

If one is only going to use kde5, then it doesn't matter, but kde5 still "doesn't play well with others."
Yesterday's installation to -current fouled my networkmanager and sound configurations in Xfce-4.12.
I was able to fix the network problem by re-installing networkmanger, but was not able to fix the sound problem, even after deleting every kde5 configuration file I could find in ~./home/user and ~./home/user/.kde.
Finally, I deleted (removepkg) every trace of kde5 from the hard drive, ran fstrim and rebooted.
Problems solved and Xfce-4.12 was once again running as it should.
I haven't re-installed kde4 and will not be installing kde5, again, for any reason.
OTOH, as I said, if the only DE you are going to use is kde5, then no problems.
:twocents:

Regnad Kcin 03-01-2020 02:12 PM

The beauty of Linux is the ability to customize on a rock-solid foundation.

The glory of Slackware (and of -current, particularly) is that one has full access to a complete and ever-expanding set of the tools that one needs to build (epoikodomeo) a customized working environment according to one's needs, preferences, and the time and effort that the individual is able and willing to expend. Some assembly may be required.

chrisretusn 03-01-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 6095910)
If one is only going to use kde5, then it doesn't matter, but kde5 still "doesn't play well with others."
<snip>
OTOH, as I said, if the only DE you are going to use is kde5, then no problems.

This could also have easily been worded; If one is only going to use xfce, then it doesn't matter, but xfce still "doesn't play well with others."

OTOH, as I said, if the only DE you are going to use is xfce, then no problems.

:D

cwizardone 03-02-2020 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisretusn (Post 6096088)
This could also have easily been worded; If one is only going to use xfce, then it doesn't matter, but xfce still "doesn't play well with others."

OTOH, as I said, if the only DE you are going to use is xfce, then no problems.

:D

Well, in a "recommended" full installation of Slackware, Xfce and kde have to peacefully co-exist, but kde5 mangles the Xfce settings. Xfce does not trash the kde5 setting.
:)

chrisretusn 03-02-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 6096137)
Well, in a "recommended" full installation of Slackware, Xfce and kde have to peacefully co-exist, but kde5 mangles the Xfce settings. Xfce does not trash the kde5 setting.
:)

So if Xfce does not trash the KDE5 setting why is it, if I have tried the Xfce desktop, decide I don't like it, go as far to delete the related files/directories from my home directory, Xfce insist on adding the following file:
Code:

~/.config/xfce/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce-notifyd.xml"
This replaces KDE Notification service with Xfce Notify Daemeon disabling KDE notifications.

This ONLY happens IF I have switched to the Xfce desktop in the past. If I have never used Xfce, then this does not happen. I have machines that have never used Xfce, all is well. Only on machines that have use Xfce does this problem occur.

This problem is fixable. The thread discussing this is here

Bottom line Xfce cause this problem. Just like KDE causes a similar problem in Xfce.

montagdude 03-02-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gegechris99 (Post 6094919)
When I first installed KDE5 at end of 2019, I also had two volume controls in system tray. One was the Plasma audio control and the other one was kmix. I uninstalled kmix package to keep only the Plasma volume control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 6095595)
Just, within the last hour, I installed kde5 to a recent installation of -current and, yes, there are two volume icons.

Yes, I had this too. The way I fixed it is:
1) Right click on the desktop and choose Customize Layout
2) Click the little icon at the end of the panel (Configure Panel)
3) Hover the mouse over the system tray and click Configure
4) Choose the volume control that you don't want (note, they are different) and change Visibility to Always Hidden.

For what it's worth, this issue appeared for me long before the recent updates.

Chuck56 03-02-2020 11:22 AM

Simultaenous Audio Inputs
 
How do I enable simultaneous audio inputs in the latest ktown/KDE5 with -current & pulse? Simultaneous audio inputs used to work just fine. I'm not sure when this stopped working but it seems recent, maybe since the last kde5 updates.

My setup plays a single audio input in kde5 just fine. When a second audio input attempts to play simultaneously that process seems to wait until the first process is complete.

This only affects audio specifically in kde5. I am able to play simultaneous audio in tty2 & tty3 for example while kde5 is up in tty7. Makes me think pulse is running fine but the setting I need to find is in kde5. I tried poking around in both the pulse and kmix settings in the systray but no joy.

EDIT:
Found this in the syslog
Code:

Mar  2 10:03:08 desktop pulseaudio[9794]: [alsa-sink-ALC887-VD Analog] alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device front:1: Device or resource busy

cwizardone 03-02-2020 11:38 AM

@chrisretusn,
Interesting, but I've not had that problem. Notifications worked as they should in both kde5 and Xfce.

0XBF 03-02-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisretusn (Post 6096298)
So if Xfce does not trash the KDE5 setting why is it, if I have tried the Xfce desktop, decide I don't like it, go as far to delete the related files/directories from my home directory, Xfce insist on adding the following file:
Code:

~/.config/xfce/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce-notifyd.xml"
This replaces KDE Notification service with Xfce Notify Daemeon disabling KDE notifications.

This ONLY happens IF I have switched to the Xfce desktop in the past. If I have never used Xfce, then this does not happen. I have machines that have never used Xfce, all is well. Only on machines that have use Xfce does this problem occur.

This problem is fixable. The thread discussing this is here

Bottom line Xfce cause this problem. Just like KDE causes a similar problem in Xfce.

This config file also shows up under ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce-notifyd.xml
You can delete or rename it, restart x into plasma, and it will still be remade in the same location. I'm still not sure if that's an xfce4 vs plasma issue, or an upstream issue with how dbus services are started.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwizardone (Post 6096318)
@chrisretusn,
Interesting, but I've not had that problem. Notifications worked as they should in both kde5 and Xfce.

Notifications will still "work" with both xfce4 and plasma installed, but its actually running xfce4-notifyd in both DEs. You will only notice that xfce4-notifyd is running if you try to change the settings for the plasma notification system. Guess it's too late for you to check though, since you removed plasma.

chrisretusn 03-02-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0XBF (Post 6096397)
Notifications will still "work" with both xfce4 and plasma installed, but its actually running xfce4-notifyd in both DEs. You will only notice that xfce4-notifyd is running if you try to change the settings for the plasma notification system. Guess it's too late for you to check though, since you removed plasma.

Yes notifications do work, but not all of them. This is how I started looking in to this. I was wondering why I wasn't getting some notifications. It was then that I noticed tha KDE Notifications was disabled and the Xfce Notify Daemeon was being used.

This by-the-way is a new problem for me. This issue did not surface until after some updates in Slackware64-current and ktown sometime before February 24th or so. That is when I noted the thread discussing this issue. By then I had already found the "work around" 0XBF has also discovered.

It is interesting to note that I have a laptop with Slackware46-current (full install) and Plasma5 (ktown) installed in which Xfce has never been used. This issue is none existent on that laptop. The interesting and puzzling thing to me is I went ahead and switched it over to Xfce. Later I switched back to KDE Plasma. This issue does not happen only on this laptop. The only difference between my other machines and this laptop is the laptop boots to runlevel 4 using SDDM to login. I switched between desktops using the SDDM interface. All of my other machines boot to runlevel 3 and I use startx to fire up the DE and use xwmconfig to set which window manager to start. I have not tried this yet on the laptop but plan to, to see what happens.

Edit: Testing didn't make a difference, this laptop as far as KDE Plasma goes has no issues and this is with nothing removed from 'home'. One thing I did notice is that:
Code:

~/.config/xfce/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce-notifyd.xml
is not there.:scratch:

Svoboda 03-08-2020 06:49 AM

I'm noticing quite a concerning issue with the update I just made to 5.18.1, I've lost the permission to connect or disconnect from wireless networks, a pop-up just says org.freedesktop.NetworkManager-control request failed : not authorized

And I've got no bloody idea of how to fix that pesky error...

Anyone ?

cwizardone 03-08-2020 02:51 PM

The latest bux fixes and improvement,

https://pointieststick.com/2020/03/0...ess-bugfixing/

enine 03-09-2020 12:42 PM

I've noticed that Dolphin is still a little slow when working with NFS mounts. It will still freeze up for a while but seems to eventually come back where before it would sometimes freeze and never recover.

I'm still missing a lot of the KDE3 features I used to use, wish they could put some back.

enine 03-09-2020 04:11 PM

What is the trick to run a shell script from Dolphin? its a .sh, made executable, etc but nothing happens.

Mobile1 03-09-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svoboda (Post 6098353)
I'm noticing quite a concerning issue with the update I just made to 5.18.1, I've lost the permission to connect or disconnect from wireless networks, a pop-up just says org.freedesktop.NetworkManager-control request failed : not authorized

And I've got no bloody idea of how to fix that pesky error...

Anyone ?

Did you run slackpkg install-new ....as there is a new package NetworkManager requires: libnma-1.8.28-x86_64-1.txz

This is the NetworkManager GUI client library, which was previously
provided by network-manager-applet. It's now a standalone project, and
is required by network-manager-applet and other NetworkManager frontends.

gdiazlo 03-10-2020 03:26 AM

I have a problem with Kamoso application (using latest ktown). seems it requieres wrappercamerabinsrc gstreamer component, but the slackware provided gstreamer does not have it.

The error message I get from kamoso is:

$ kamoso
Icon theme "Papirus" not found.
Icon theme "Yaru" not found.
[W][000122080.800226][module-rtkit.c:499 idle_func()] could not make thread realtime: No such file or directory
new device "HP Webcam HD-2200: HP Webcam HD" "/sys/devices/pci0000:40/0000:40:01.1/0000:41:00.0/0000:42:08.0/0000:47:00.3/usb9/9-4/9-4:1.0/video4linux/video0" "/dev/video0"
Playing device changed "/dev/video0"
qrc:/qml/Mode.qml:5:28: Invalid property assignment: string expected - Assigning null to incompatible properties in QML is deprecated. This will become a compile error in future versions of Qt.
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/ToolBarPageHeader.qml:57:9: QML ActionToolBar: Binding loop detected for property "actions"
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/ToolBarPageHeader.qml:57:9: QML ActionToolBar: Binding loop detected for property "actions"
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/ToolBarPageHeader.qml:57:9: QML ActionToolBar: Binding loop detected for property "actions"
Icon theme "Papirus" not found.
Icon theme "Yaru" not found.
error: no element "bulge"
error: no element "frei0r-filter-cartoon"
error: no element "frei0r-filter-twolay0r"
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/PageRowGlobalToolBarUI.qml:126: TypeError: Cannot read property 'globalToolBarStyle' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/PageRowGlobalToolBarUI.qml:71:17: Unable to assign [undefined] to QQmlListProperty<QObject>
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/PageRowGlobalToolBarUI.qml:62:13: Unable to assign [undefined] to bool
The webcam controller was unable to find or load wrappercamerabinsrc plugin; please make sure all required gstreamer plugins are installed.
Unrecoverable error occurred when initializing webcam. Exiting.

The webcam works in firefox.

The commands:

gst-launch-1.0 -v -m camerabin
gst-launch-1.0 -v -m wrappercamerabinsrc

Return an error like:

ERROR: pipeline could not be constructed: no element "..."

Does it work for you?

Alien Bob 03-10-2020 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdiazlo (Post 6099052)
I have a problem with Kamoso application (using latest ktown). seems it requieres wrappercamerabinsrc gstreamer component, but the slackware provided gstreamer does not have it.

This is part of gstreamer-plugins-bad which will never be part of Slackware. You can install it yourself and recompile kamoso.

gdiazlo 03-10-2020 06:00 AM

Their documentation might be out of date, reading from https://github.com/KDE/kamoso, they say they depend on good and base only, but the component in gstreamer (https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/do...?gi-language=c) state it is from bad plugin package.

:(

bassmadrigal 03-10-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdiazlo (Post 6099088)
Their documentation might be out of date, reading from https://github.com/KDE/kamoso, they say they depend on good and base only, but the component in gstreamer (https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/do...?gi-language=c) state it is from bad plugin package.

:(

You bring up a good point. It's highly likely that the README is out of date since it hasn't been updated in 9 years and it looks like wrappercamerabinsrc started getting used in Nov 2014 (5 1/2 years ago).

cwizardone 03-15-2020 07:30 AM

The most recent bux fixes and improvement,

https://pointieststick.com/2020/03/1...tray-and-more/

Svoboda 03-15-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobile1 (Post 6098922)
Did you run slackpkg install-new ....as there is a new package NetworkManager requires: libnma-1.8.28-x86_64-1.txz

This is the NetworkManager GUI client library, which was previously
provided by network-manager-applet. It's now a standalone project, and
is required by network-manager-applet and other NetworkManager frontends.

Actually I did, turns out another package was missing, I installed it and it fixed the issue, although it was a week a go and I don't remember which one it was again, oh well...

cwizardone 03-15-2020 09:10 AM

AlienBob has outlined the latest changes to his KTown repository and a few other items,

https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/upd...jdk7-and-more/

cwizardone 03-22-2020 08:00 AM

The most recent bug fixes and improvements,

https://pointieststick.com/2020/03/2...rt-rolling-in/

cwizardone 03-29-2020 10:35 AM

This last week's bug fixes, improvements and new features,

https://pointieststick.com/2020/03/2...-new-features/

enine 03-29-2020 05:05 PM

I think there may be an issue in some of the latest. I updated AlienBoB's and then did a slackpkg upgrade-all (having AB's blacklisted) and got a hard lock trying to startx. I reformatted and reinstalled -current and AlienBob's latest and still locked.

cwizardone 04-08-2020 10:31 AM

How might this effect KDE?

Quote:

New Qt Releases Might Now Be Restricted To Paying Customers For 12 Months
Written by Michael Larabel in Qt on 8 April 2020 at 07:53 AM EDT

.........But the most surprising new information made public today by KDE's Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer is that The Qt Company is considering making new releases paid-customer-only for the first twelve months.

Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer wrote, "But last week, the company suddenly informed both the KDE e.V. board and the KDE Free QT Foundation that the economic outlook caused by the Corona virus puts more pressure on them to increase short-term revenue. As a result, they are thinking about restricting ALL Qt releases to paid license holders for the first 12 months. They are aware that this would mean the end of contributions via Open Governance in practice."............
The entire news story can be found here, https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...t-New-Releases

sombragris 04-08-2020 01:30 PM

This is old news. The changes were announced in January.

KDE devs answered at that time with a "not that much of a deal" tone, but now KDE is getting more serious. See the thread below:

https://twitter.com/kdecommunity/sta...34397837385729

EDIT: The situation is indeed more serious, but there are negotiations ongoing. Hope it gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

cwizardone 04-08-2020 01:59 PM

This is the old news,
Quote:

.....KDE and the open-source Qt folks have been in discussions with The Qt Company especially with the restrictions announced back in January by The Qt Company that LTS point releases might only be available to commercial customers, Qt Accounts being needed for binary package downloads, etc......
The information quoted in post #46 is new as of this morning.

gdiazlo 04-11-2020 05:07 AM

The possibility to have a fork of the QT stuff increases I guess.

cwizardone 04-11-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdiazlo (Post 6110312)
The possibility to have a fork of the QT stuff increases I guess.

Yes, and here is a news story on the subject,

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ssible-Qt-Fork


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.