LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
azmike
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
username & password problem ubuntu

Feeling very green just downloaded most recent ver. of ubuntu all was well until log in and it denied access. Tried any and all password and username combos to no avail. Unsure of how to proceed. Do we uninstall then re-install? if so how? Maybe someone can suggest how to get around this. really want in Azmike I believe I posted in the wrong forum please excuse my error

Last edited by azmike; 07-13-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
pljvaldez
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian Wheezy (x86)

Rep: Reputation: 281Reputation: 281Reputation: 281
1) Boot up with the live CD
2) mount your hard drive install (you need to mount the / partition of the hard drive install, something like /dev/hda2 for the primary drive, second partition)
3) type chroot /mnt/hda2 or whatever you called the mounted drive. This will make you be the root user of the hard drive install. Then cd /mnt/hda2 (change directory to the drive you just chrooted into).
4) ls /home and see if there's a username you recognize. If there is then type passwd username where username is of course, your username. This should let you set a new password.
4b) If you don't see a user you like, type adduser username and it should create you a /home directory for that user and prompt you for a password.
5) Type exit
6) Unmount the drive
7) reboot into your hard drive install.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
jeelliso

Distribution: OpenSUSE, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
If you installed the most recent version of Ubuntu (version 6.06), then you have to create a user name and password during the installation. This is what you should use. Are you saying that you've forgotten this password?

Quote:
type chroot /mnt/hda2 or whatever you called the mounted drive.
Chroot should work because the root account on Ubuntu is disabled as everything is done via sudo.

~Justin

Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
azmike
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs up This is great

I could have never imagined the excellent info I have been presented . Thank you very much fyi you give me strength to carry on.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
azmike
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I believe it was accidental but we are up and running and I can't believe the resources available including these forums you guys are great

Old 08-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
selami
LQ Newbie

hi everybody,
i am a new member and this is my first question. i have a laptop that was installed with ubuntu. unfortunately, i don't know its username and also don't have a live CD. which CD do i have to install?
Not: there is only ubuntu on the laptop, no windows and so no partioning the hard drive.