LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - News
User Name
Password
Linux - News This forum is for original Linux News. If you'd like to write content for LQ, feel free to contact us.
All threads in the forum need to be approved before they will appear.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #1
Jeebizz

Distribution: Slackware15.0 64-Bit Desktop, Debian 11 non-free Toshiba Satellite Notebook

Rep: Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379Reputation: 1379
Post NVIDIA in even bigger trouble

"Hackers that infiltrated NVIDIA systems are now threatening to release more confidential information unless the company commits to open sourcing their drivers."

"Following (now) multiple reports of the ransom cyber attack on NVIDIA servers, the hacking group LAPSUS$ now demands NVIDIA should release their drivers for Windows, MacOS and Linux as open source. Should NVIDIA fail to meet this demand, the group threatens to release chipset files, graphics, and silicon information for existing and upcoming GPUs."

https://videocardz.com/newz/hackers-...leak-more-data

Old 12-18-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
xlfs-0.2

Rep: Reputation: 44
intardesting!

A good video driver, with GUID configuration tools, may be more code than you want.

Consider Intel chips. Do you want all the circuit diagrams? They wouldn't fit on your 2TB drive and you'd never be able to do much with them unless you were a competing mfg.

NV works in linux without allot of effort (pci does). "nouveau" is free, so they didn't "ban that" either.

The idea Android releases all of their video and bus code is untrue. I've looked. They say it's proprietary, per android implement, and begin asking for money. (last time I checked on android.com)

I don't see a linux nvidia complaint. I could be wrong.

Old 12-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
jmccue

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 380Reputation: 380Reputation: 380Reputation: 380
I doubt this will change Nvidia's way, but one can hope.

But, the projects that would benefit from this release that I care about (OpenBSD) would not use the released source because it still conflicts with Nvidia's License.

With Christmas coming up, maybe Nvidia will give us a nice present and release source under a license OpenBSD can use

Old 02-14-2023, 07:48 PM   #4
dchmelik

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD, Illumos, NetBSD, DragonflyBSD, Plan9, Inferno, OpenBSD, FreeDOS, HURD

Rep: Reputation: 147Reputation: 147
Nvidia banned discussion of nouveau on their forums!

Old 07-15-2023, 05:48 AM   #5
goumba

Distribution: Fedora, OpenSUSE, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, macOS (hack). Past: Debian, Arch, RedHat (pre-RHEL).

Rep: Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402
Hate to say it, but demands like this would be a great reason for a company like NVidia to say "f*** open source," linking the community to these threats.

The end result could be that they stop maintaining their Linux drivers completely leaving everyone who relies on them stuck.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
jmccue

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 380Reputation: 380Reputation: 380Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by goumba View Post
The end result could be that they stop maintaining their Linux drivers completely leaving everyone who relies on them stuck.
I doubt that would happen, but one can hope

Why, IIRC lots of AI is on Linux probably using Nvidia proprietary drivers, so if they stop supporting Linux their sales would drop.

But I would like to see that happen, then maybe a GPU with fully
open drivers sales would increase and break Nvidia's GPU market hold.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:19 PM   #7
GeekBoy

Distribution: Fedora v6

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccue View Post
I doubt that would happen, but one can hope

Why, IIRC lots of AI is on Linux probably using Nvidia proprietary drivers, so if they stop supporting Linux their sales would drop.

But I would like to see that happen, then maybe a GPU with fully
open drivers sales would increase and break Nvidia's GPU market hold.
Open source was mentioned for all three major operating systems, and not specifically mentioning Linux.

However, since you want to bring up Linux, Recently it was realized recently released AMD's Ryzen AI Hardware Does NOT Support Linux, but does for Windows.