LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2022, 05:33 PM   #16
gordydawg

Distribution: slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmag View Post
Do you see this behaviour from the Pan View window or from the file browser window? Or from both, perhaps?
Does it happen each and every time you open a window, or just some of the times (have you tried to reopen same picture multiple times)?
Have you started geeqie from a terminal? If not do so. Do you get any error messages when these windows come up blank?

All I can think of asking so far...

Thanks
--
KarlMag
My apologies for the delay in replying Karl. Running geeqie in 64bit current with KDE5 as the WM. Opening 'view in new window' for window 3 (Pan View?) consistently shows a blank. Opening a selected file in window 2 (File browser window?) shows a blank window. Both cases, resizing shows the picture. However, when I pick (right click) 'open in new window' for a non-selected file in Window 2, it does show a picture. But selecting it again, brings up the blank window. And after closing the pictures, selecting the same previous files show a blank.

Again, resizing in all blank windows brings up the pictures.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:25 PM   #17
marav
LQ Sage

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109Reputation: 4109
That seems to work for me:

edit / preferences / general /

uncheck the box : preload next image
and restart geeqie

Last edited by marav; 01-21-2022 at 06:30 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #18
karlmag

Distribution: Slackware

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordydawg View Post
My apologies for the delay in replying Karl. Running geeqie in 64bit current with KDE5 as the WM. Opening 'view in new window' for window 3 (Pan View?) consistently shows a blank. Opening a selected file in window 2 (File browser window?) shows a blank window. Both cases, resizing shows the picture. However, when I pick (right click) 'open in new window' for a non-selected file in Window 2, it does show a picture. But selecting it again, brings up the blank window. And after closing the pictures, selecting the same previous files show a blank.

Again, resizing in all blank windows brings up the pictures.
Could you please try to start geeqie from a terminal, do the thing again and see if you'll get any error messages in the terminal while doing so?
Any error messages might helpful in tracking down what might be wrong.

Actual reason I ask about testing that way is because I have the windows blanking sometimes and sometimes not, but I haven't managed to determine when or why it does what.

When I start in a terminal I get
Code:
Gtk-Message: 21:44:51.358: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/gnofract4d.desktop' should not include extension in Icon key: 'gnofract4d-logo.png'
And for every window that opens blank I get a
Code:
(geeqie:10586): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:46:26.616: g_object_get_data: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Not even sure if the first one is relevant or not, but I do see it (and can't remember having seen it before).

Thanks
--
KarlMag

Old 01-21-2022, 10:58 PM   #19
gordydawg

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by marav View Post
That seems to work for me:

and restart geeqie
It worked. Again on Current updated to Jan 21, 2022 with geeqie running on KDE5.

Doing what you suggested, View in New windows shows the picture! Thanks. Unless anyone has something to note, I am going to mark this Solved.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:11 PM   #20
gordydawg

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmag View Post
Could you please try to start geeqie from a terminal, do the thing again and see if you'll get any error messages in the terminal while doing so?
Any error messages might helpful in tracking down what might be wrong.

Actual reason I ask about testing that way is because I have the windows blanking sometimes and sometimes not, but I haven't managed to determine when or why it does what.

When I start in a terminal I get
Code:
Gtk-Message: 21:44:51.358: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/gnofract4d.desktop' should not include extension in Icon key: 'gnofract4d-logo.png'
And for every window that opens blank I get a
Code:
(geeqie:10586): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 21:46:26.616: g_object_get_data: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Not even sure if the first one is relevant or not, but I do see it (and can't remember having seen it before).

Thanks
--
KarlMag

I am not using Windows blanking (Is that a KDE option?)

But when using KDE's konsole, I used the application command found in icon properties ( geeqie -r %F ). But when running it it returned an error box 'geeqie invalid perameter' with the ok button.

Running ( geeqie -r ) Geeqie started up, but Konsole printed the message 'Remote Geeqie not running, starting...' then returning to the next cursor.

The same thing happened when running geeqie from konsole using ( geeqie ) geeqie started up, but in Konsole, the cursor would point to the next instance as well.

No error messages were printed when I opened new windows in geeqie.

Afterwards, I did use Maray's suggestion to :

and restart geeqie

The view in new window command results in the window with picture.

Last edited by gordydawg; 01-21-2022 at 11:14 PM.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:38 AM   #21
kgha

Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE

Rep: Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746
Before trying Marav's solution I also noticed the following: If the box for the option "Limit size when auto-sizing window" Edit > Preferences > Windows (is unchecked (Edit > Preferences > Windows), opening an image in a new window works regardless of preset zoom level. Then large images will open in maximized windows. If that box is checked and preset zoom level is "Zoom to original size" (1:1), I get the blank window when opening a larger image. If preset zoom level is set to "Fit image to window", opening in new window works just fine.

Marav's solution works fine without having to bother about mentioned settings. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:11 AM   #22
kgha

Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE

Rep: Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746Reputation: 746
Seems as if the latest geeqie upgrade (1.7.2) has taken us "back to normal". No blank windows even if one checks the box Edit > Preferences > General > Preload next image.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #23
cclarkiom
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 1
I find that the blank window error is repeatable with certain files, but not with others.
I will investigate that further.
This definitely seems to be a bug. As I do some of the maintenance I will have to report the bug to myself :-(

By the way, geeqie.org has links to the GitHub bug reports page and to a Geeqie mailing list.
(I found this discussion purely by chance - I have not read this forum until now)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #24
cclarkiom
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 1
This is now fixed in the .repo.
https://github.com/BestImageViewer/geeqie/issues/965