LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
EdGr

Distribution: I run my own OS

Rep: Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470Reputation: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by larstrier View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.
But thank you for your hilarious response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larstrier View Post
How do you know that? Are you speaking out of experience?
Then when Spectre and Meltdown were eventually revealed a couple of years ago, why was the Linux community working 24/7 to mitigate the harm?
Why are they still working on it?
I have over three decades of experience as a CPU architect.

Spectre and Meltdown are problematic for computers that run untrusted code, and then extracting secret information is a slow process because the attacks are based on timing. On client machines, running untrusted code usually means that security is already broken.

Your posts have so many misconceptions that it is not worth my time to respond to them.

The bottom line is that when one buys a computer, one is trusting the hardware manufacturers (including any firmware that they supplied). Running an open-source OS does not preclude the need to trust the hardware manufacturers.
Ed

Old 07-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #17
larstrier

Distribution: Debian

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
True, firmware is a specific type of software. Except for coreboot all BIOS/UEFI as far as I know is closed source.

Do you have a problem with other computer peripherals devices with closed source firmware i.e. hard drives. graphic cards, the glue chips in a computer that tie the buses together are programable SoCs, USB flash drives. What about consumer devices like modern TVs?
I don't have an issue with peripherals. Debian is ok.

I'm asking which cpu is best for debian on a new pc-build.

Quote:
Only if you update the BIOS/UEFI to the latest version. However, as stated in the debian page the manufacture may not provide release updates just for microcode and they will stop supporting that particular motherboard at some time.
Thank you - this means I must rely on the debian microcode upgrades.
And they will not upgrade unless I have contrib and non-free in /etc/apt/sources.list.
A debian main-only is no longer possible.

Perhaps debian should update its documentation?

Quote:
As previously stated just don't use the contrib and non-free repositories...
Why? The debian micocode will not install properly.

Last edited by larstrier; 07-17-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896Reputation: 5896
True, Wikipedia is not the end all for all the facts but do read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectr..._vulnerability)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltdo..._vulnerability)