LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
sairum

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0XBF View Post
Some applications depend on the X11 clipboard, which doesn't work in wayland. I noticed this when I tried to used password-store in a wayland session and it failed because it uses xclip/X11 clipboard to temporarily store passwords.

I found this program for getting clipboard tools in wayland: https://github.com/bugaevc/wl-clipboard but I'm happy to just keep using the X11 plasma5 for now until development comes along a little further.
Precisely! It's a known problem. My 10 minute experience with wayland revealed that the clipboard icon that's usually on the right lower side of the taskbar in plasma5 (together with the keyboard layout, and such) does not show up on wayland!

Old 06-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #17
chrisretusn

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548Reputation: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0XBF View Post
Some applications depend on the X11 clipboard, which doesn't work in wayland. I noticed this when I tried to used password-store in a wayland session and it failed because it uses xclip/X11 clipboard to temporarily store passwords.

I found this program for getting clipboard tools in wayland: https://github.com/bugaevc/wl-clipboard but I'm happy to just keep using the X11 plasma5 for now until development comes along a little further.
Thanks. I think I will wait too.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #18
Poprocks

Rep: Reputation: 279Reputation: 279Reputation: 279
Can pm-utils be removed from systems that utilize elogind? It seems that elogind usurps the functionality of pm-utils, but I'm not sure whether, eg, XFCE as shipped in stock Slackware current requires pm-utils

Old 06-23-2020, 11:56 AM   #19
sairum

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 56
Problem solved!

Turns out that the problem was related to the fact that I install .xinitrc for my main user "manually" by invoking xwmconfig as a normal user. Since Alien Bob's ktwon got rid of QT4 dependencies, I started skipping the window manager installation during full setups. This means that either I had to run /var/log/setup/setup.xwmconfig after installation or I had to run xwmconfig as a user. The latter is simpler and that's what I did. It creates a .xinitrc and a .xsession files in my home folder. Apparently those two files mess with the initialization of X and render startkwayland useless. Removing them and installing the default window manager through setup.xwmconfig as root (system wide) solves everything. "Sleep" and "Hibernate" started working from the KDE main menu, and startkwayland also works on runlevel 3 as it should!

Apparently I was wrong! The problem had nothing to do with .xinitrc or any other local files. A full installation of -current followed by the installation of ktown solved the problem. Most likely the problem was related with some .new configuration file that I deleted instead of using it as a replacement for a corresponding configuration file in /etc.

Last edited by sairum; 06-23-2020 at 12:30 PM.