LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
aikempshall

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 153Reputation: 153
Thunderbird loosing sent messages

I've discovered that Thunderbird has recently stopped sending messages from certain identities.

I have my main identity/account which sends and receives messages without problem.

Hanging of this main identity/account I have a number of "disposable addresses" which I use to register with various suppliers organisations.

Recently this has stopped working. I can receive messages to these "disposable addresses" but when I send messages from these "disposable addresses" they don't appear to arrive at the destination.

My email provider is BT/Yahoo. I've tried their webmail package and that seems to work as expected.

I've tried Kmail and that seems to work as expected.

I would have asked the question on the Thunderbird's Forum, but I can't join because I can't answer this question -

Quote:
How many letters in Mozilla?:
This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.
Any help appreciated.

Alex

Old 07-19-2019, 05:56 AM   #2
Mark Pettit

Distribution: Slackware 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 299Reputation: 299Reputation: 299
1) There are 7 letters in Mozilla.
2) Thunderbird is not loosing messages - but it may well be losing messages.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
aikempshall

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pettit View Post
1) There are 7 letters in Mozilla.
2) Thunderbird is not loosing messages - but it may well be losing messages.
Thanks for the reply.

Must admit "loosing" didn't look right. Thanks for pointing out my error.

On the first question quite agree that 7 is what I would have considered to be the right answer. I'm sure I tried 7 and seven, but each time It rejected the answer.

I shall try again later today. Maybe yesterday I was having a bad day spelling wise.

Thanks for your support.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Mark Pettit

Distribution: Slackware 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 299Reputation: 299Reputation: 299
Well - at least you were in good humour today :-) [and yes, in the Non-US world, 'humour' is spelled that way, along with 'colour','ardour',etc] Cheers.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:09 AM   #5
aikempshall

Original Poster
Well eventually got to the bottom of it.

I must have ignored or misread an email from my ISP which stated -

Quote:
Due to some changes we’re making to our email service, this feature was disabled on 31 May 2019. If you use disposable email addresses, you should have received an email from us about the closure.
What does this mean?
  1. You can no longer create or delete a disposable email address
  2. You can no longer send emails from any disposable email address you've already set up
  3. You can no longer receive emails on any disposable email addresses you have
Well point 3 above is not happening because I'm still receiving emails sent to my disposable email addresses.

Anyway it was good while it lasted. I was using disposable email addresses when sending contact details to third parties, if I then started getting a lot of spam directed to one of my disposable addresses, I could then dispose of that one email address.

I suppose time has marched on and spam filters have got a lot better. So I suppose I must move on too.

I also somehow managed to get this response, though only the once,

Quote:
Your message was rejected by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com for the following reason:

Unauthenticated email from yahoo.co.uk is not accepted due to domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of yahoo.co.uk domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the DMARC initiative. y4si30496544wrr.356 - gsmtp
Don't know what that was trying to tell me other than don't do it again.

Alex