LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
darshit
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Permission isuues using dislocker for bitlocker encrypted drive on ubuntu 16.04 LTS

First of all I am a newcomer in Ubuntu. I want to use my bit-locker encrypted internal hard drive in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 32 bit system. So I have downloaded dislocker (dislocker-master.zip).

The extracted zip file compiled and installed Dislocker on Ubuntu according to the instruction given in INSTALL.md file and on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7XT5fK4iwA.

According to this, last line in terminal

sudo mount -o loop /media/drive1/dislocker-file /media/mount1/

shows the error:

ntfs-3g-mount: mount failed: Permission denied

To fix this, I searched on Google and found a command on https://github.com/Aorimn/dislocker/issues/86, so I used the command:

sudo mount -o ro,loop /media/drive1/dislocker-file /media/mount1/

which opens the Bitlocker-encrypted drive as read-only. But I want write access also. How can I do that?

Things I have tried:

$ sudo chown jin:jin drive1
chown: changing ownership of 'drive1': Function not implemented

$ chmod 777 drive1/
error: chmod: changing permissions of 'drive1/': Function not implemented

$ mount -r -o loop dislocker-file /media/mount

with -r option does not give any error but opens the drive in read-only mode and without -r option gives same error: permission denied.

I also checked the comment:

Dislocker should support read-write (rw) access to some Bitlocker containers/versions, "the source" link says windows 8 rw access wasn't supported yet" (in 2014) and a comment says it would silently mount as ro (even though mount shows as rw)" probably leading to the mount error ntfs-3g-mount: mount failed: Permission denied. Omitting the -r option to Dislocker & mount should try mounting rw

– Xen2050 Jan 25 at 10:45

But does not understand any. Does it mean that drive encrypted with bitlocker of windows 7 can open in write mode? I tried with the drive encrypted with bitlocker of windows 7 but it also throws the same error and opens only in read mode. Now how can I enable write access in my Bitlocker-encrypted drive with Ubuntu?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
Iamn00b
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have the same problem. How can you write to an BitLocker drive using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS