LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM   #46
justwantin

Distribution: Slackware, Slackwarearm

Rep: Reputation: 76

Ah yes I thought you subscribed to this list ... g'day!.

I've heard of software engineers, hydraulic engineers, civil engineers etc. etc. But I had never until that day knew that you could get a degree in raspberry pi engineering .... good thing we both kept a civil tongue at least :-P

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #47
drmozes
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 596Reputation: 596Reputation: 596Reputation: 596Reputation: 596Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthux View Post
I was a little miffed at James' response to you. Still didn't get any answers to my questions about why they diminish Slackware ARM.
I looked at the response and in isolation, it's just pointing out a statement of (most likely) fact.
It's a business - I'm sure if there were enough people who wanted to run Slackware on it, they'd have a different response; but there isn't and so they don't.
In the same way as this _isn't_ a business for me and so I have really no interest at all in it.
As my daughter says, "get over it! It's already happened" (although she's hardly mastered the art of Zen when her favourite stuff gets smashed and I ironically instruct her to "get over it", but there's time!) ;-)

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #48
Penthux

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
I looked at the response and in isolation, it's just pointing out a statement of (most likely) fact.
You don't have to read the response in isolation. You can just read it as part of a social exercise with friends/family or with strangers in public on a mobile device! Trust me on this. It works!

Anyway, at the time of that RPi forum thread, I was churning out SARPi installers and packages at an alarming rate, and investing a _lot_ of time and effort into the project. As you know. When I read "other distros for which you may find it difficult to get help" in reference to Slackware ARM I thought it was rather ignorant, and certainly wasn't accurate or even near to the truth! The guy is the chief RPi software honcho and people ARE going to take notice of what he says. Can't have someone of Jamesh's status spreading disinformation and BS about something he [apparently] knows nothing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
It's a business - I'm sure if there were enough people who wanted to run Slackware on it, they'd have a different response; but there isn't and so they don't.

In the same way as this _isn't_ a business for me and so I have really no interest at all in it.
I know the Slackware ARM user base pales in comparison to the vast numbers of Raspbian users. I'd still bet my last dollar that there's certainly more Slackers on the RPis than FreeBSD, Gentoo, OpenSUSE, Plan 9 and Puppy Linux users.

The interest _IS_ there for Slackware ARM... or I must be dreaming about the +150GB of binary downloads bandwidth per month that FatDog.NL accrues... and not every Slackware ARM installation on the RPi is done by using the SARPi shizzle.

1 members found this post helpful.