LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
bodqhrohro

Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux 12

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to override the WantedBy directive in systemd units?

I decided to move some non-critical for my usecases long-starting services to a separate deferred target so they shoudn't delay multi-user.target and graphical.target. So I created
Code:
root@localhost:/home/bodqhrohro# cat /etc/systemd/system/post-graphical-goodies.target
[Unit]
Description=Lazy-load goodies
Wants=graphical.target
and tried to override WantedBy in chosen units to this target (systemctl edit, systemctl disable, systemctl enable). For example, for kdump-tools unit, that is wanted by multi-user.target by default, I added the following drop-in:
Code:
[Install]
WantedBy=post-graphical-goodies.target
And they seem to be overridden well: after executing systemctl reload, the following symlink in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ disappears. But after reboot it appears again, and both the default target and my custom one are in WantedBy:
Code:
root@localhost:/home/bodqhrohro# systemctl show kdump-tools.service|grep WantedBy
WantedBy=multi-user.target post-graphical-goodies.target
Why? Is this directive cumulative, like ExecStart? I tried to put an empty WantedBy= line before the custom directive to reset it, but that doesn't help.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145Reputation: 6145
This article may help get you started: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...and-unit-files

Scroll down to the section about "Section Directives."

Old 08-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
bodqhrohro

Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux 12

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Huh, man systemd.unit has an inconspicuous note:

Code:
       Note that for drop-in files, if one wants to remove entries from a setting that is parsed as a list (and is not a dependency), such as
       AssertPathExists= (or e.g.  ExecStart= in service units), one needs to first clear the list before re-adding all entries except the one
       that is to be removed. Dependencies (After=, etc.) cannot be reset to an empty list, so dependencies can only be added in drop-ins. If
       you want to remove dependencies, you have to override the entire unit.
So I solved the problem by re-editing the units with a --full option.

Tags
systemd