LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacSmith View Post
Thanks. I just added him to my ignore list.

I still don't know what I said that's so unbelievable and trollish––I work in Saudi Arabia half the year and I have a lot of R-Rated movies and TV shows (e.g. Westworld) on my external hard drive that I'd really rather not get caught with if I'm ever stopped by the Mutaween. If I could cut out the nude scenes and the scenes with adult situations, I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable carrying them around in my backpack.

And, yeah, as you pointed out, there was no need to resurrect this post just to offer me useless advice and then insult me, but whatever.
Having experienced watching films in Malaysia, where even the underwater kiss between Tinkerbell and Peter Pan was censored out in the film Hook, I get what you're on about. However, given the amount of effort it would take to do all that editing, I would suggest perhaps either leaving R-rated movies and shows at home or encrypting them. You could even encrypt them in the cloud and download, watch and delete as necessary.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #17
JMacSmith

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
I would suggest perhaps either leaving R-rated movies and shows at home or encrypting them. You could even encrypt them in the cloud and download, watch and delete as necessary.
Ok, now you've piqued my curiosity: I'm in the middle of nowhere so our internet in the best of times is between about 20-45 kbps so downloading from the cloud wouldn't be feasible but encrypting them is.

Can you tell me more about how to encrypt them or point to an "idiot's guide" on how to do it? If it's easy enough, it would be the best bet. If not, I'll leave them home.

As I said before: no westerner I know has been harassed out here by the religious police in the 6 years I've worked/lived here, but it could happen. They are arbitrary and capricious.

Thank you

Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #18
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925
I use VeraCrypt (https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html) to encrypt either entire filesystems (partitions) or containers within a filesystem. When you need to access that partition/container, you run VeraCrypt on your computer to decrypt and mount it. You then treat it as a normal mounted filesystem and when you're finished, you unmount it with VeraCrypt.

Other software to encrypt/decrypt partitions and containers exist, as do solutions which encrypt particular files. VeraCrypt also provides "plausible deniability".

Certainly worth considering. Have a good look at the VeraCrypt site and let us know if you have any questions.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacSmith View Post
Ok, now you've piqued my curiosity: I'm in the middle of nowhere so our internet in the best of times is between about 20-45 kbps so downloading from the cloud wouldn't be feasible but encrypting them is.

Can you tell me more about how to encrypt them or point to an "idiot's guide" on how to do it? If it's easy enough, it would be the best bet. If not, I'll leave them home. As I said before: no westerner I know has been harassed out here by the religious police in the 6 years I've worked/lived here, but it could happen. They are arbitrary and capricious.
Wow, really? I gave you a link in post #7 about this very thing, and even suggested the cloud as well. Using GPG is also an option, with a simple "gpg -e <filename>" command.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #20
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Wow, really? I gave you a link in post #7 about this very thing, and even suggested the cloud as well. Using GPG is also an option, with a simple "gpg -e <filename>" command.
I didn't read your post before replying. I could have in fact directed the OP towards your post. There's quite a bit of info to take in - they probably just missed it. Or else it was only when a second person recommended it that the OP thought it might be worth considering. Anyway, we both agree that it's a good solution to the OP's issue.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #21
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
I didn't read your post before replying. I could have in fact directed the OP towards your post. There's quite a bit of info to take in - they probably just missed it. Or else it was only when a second person recommended it that the OP thought it might be worth considering. Anyway, we both agree that it's a good solution to the OP's issue.
Well, it's *A* solution...personally, I'd leave all that home, period, if there's any doubt. The hidden encrypted file system is a good alternative, but personally (having had my boots on the ground in that part of the world), I'd make my life simpler and just not take it. I have a laptop that has NOTHING on it at all but an OS, with a script that auto-shreds anything I might download during the day at shutdown AND startup, that I use just for traveling abroad. I wipe/trash the disk before coming home, and have a cheap smartphone with a pay-as-you-go SIM card too.

Not that I worry about the countries I visit, but more upon re-entry to the US and their policies about 'searching data' at the border. I make sure there's nothing to search.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #22
JeremyBoden

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
Why not just put your films on a USB stick, which you could swallow in an emergency?

Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBoden View Post
Why not just put your films on a USB stick, which you could swallow in an emergency?
sounds reasonable.

anyhow, JMacSmith, i sometimes use encfs or ecryptfs for encrypting folders. It's very simple to set up. I think it should be sufficiently safe for your usage scenario, and the overhead on resources is small.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #24
JMacSmith

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Sorry. I've been busy and I just read the last few posts when that guy said I was a troll. In fact, since you posted this comment, I've been even busier.