LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
Noel Hunt
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
EFI Boot screen resolution gone, no VGA output in xrandr

I have just installed rhel 7.3 (Oracle) onto a machine running Windows 10. The linux installation is properly EFI-based, and grub found the Windows boot loader and created a menu entry for it, so as far as booting is concerned, everything is fine, except that linux no longer boots up to the 1920x1080 resolution that it used to have. Windows uses this resolution without any problems (an LG LCD monitor).

Attempting to set video mode with GRUB_GFXMODE has no effect.

I have been struggling with various types of installation over the last few days, and the legacy installation of linux is fine, no problems with screen resolution, but it doesn't work well with the EFI Windows installation.

Do I need to update grub/efi software, or PCI-related kernel modules to fix this?

Noel Hunt

Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
Mill J

Distribution: Mint, Void, MX, Haiku, PMOS, Plasma Mobile, and many others

Rep: Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542Reputation: 542
Why don't You contact RedHat? Since you bought the rhel support, that's their job.

Of course if you didn't pay for support, you won't get any help here at LQ either. I'd suggest getting CentOs for your server needs.