LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
SamuelLittle
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Xorg-X11-server quit unexpectedly in Fedora 29

Hello, everyone! I’m a completely new user, so I don’t know much about Fedora Linux. I’m using Fedora 29. And I need help in solving one issue. It constantly happens so that after using VirtualMachine for a while desktop stops responding and the system reboots by itself. After logging in I receive a message that xorg-x11-server quit unexpectedly. I tried looking for a solution on the Internet. I found this post: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ly-4175622783/
so I tried this solution, with the latest version of gjs (1.54 fo fedora 29) but that didn’t work for me. I also tried reinstalling xorg-x11-server-Xwayland from official sources, but that didn’t help either. Hope you can help me.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
Brains

Distribution: All OS except Apple

Rep: Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389
Quote:
after using VirtualMachine for a while
Although the quote above is lacking information, I'm guessing you are running a virtual machine full screen. If so, it's possible power management sees the desktop as inactive after the set amount of time lapsed and tried turning it off, perhaps turning off screen energy savings in power management or extending the amount of time before turning it off may alleviate this behaviour.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
SamuelLittle
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Actually, I am using virtual machine full screen (it is VirtualBox 6.0 with guest addition), but I have set the amount of time before turning off to never in the settings. I also will be glad to tell you any additional information.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
6th_sense

Distribution: Centos 7.x, Fedora (one version behind latest)

Rep: Reputation: 6
Hi SamuelLittle,

It is possible that virtual box is too demanding for your machine - what are your machine specs? Processor, RAM...

I faced a similar situation - where the machine would freeze, but I had the memory monitor and CPU monitor running and they would hit the limits given to the machine and I could subsequently not start the virtual machine any more.

- 6th -

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
SamuelLittle
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks, 6th_sense
Actually, that was the problem. It turned out that the particular virtual machine was too demanding. So I tried to change its system settings. And it worked when I decrease the amount of CPU threads from 4 to 2 and the amount of RAM from 8 gigs to 2. So I don’t have this issue anymore.