LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Sailfish OS, Replicant, Ubuntu Touch, webOS, and other similar projects and products.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #16
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
I'm fairly happy with it with the only annoyances being Android related apart from the odd freeze which I can live with as a trade off for having a keyboard.
Android has since been updated to 6.0.1 and has had a few security and bug fixes applied (such as "Play Protect"" being installed) and I haven't had any freezing issues at all recently. Contrary to the experience of people I have spoken to with other devices the Android updates have actually improved my experience. I've also learned how to deal with Android better so, all in all, I'm happier now.
Still looking into other options for when this inevitably dies or is obsoleted. I think the telling thing will be whether Android 7 is released and, at that point, I'll look into how much battery replacement will likely cost.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:40 AM   #17
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322
I think Android-7.0 is already out there.

My phone has Android-7.0, (S7 Edge - last year's model) and my Google Nexus 9 tablet has Android-7.1.3 or some such. They keep giving it monthly updates/bugfixes of their latest ideas and are using Google Device owners as crash test dummies. Fine if you live for the latest OS (I don't), and have only recently upgraded from a phone stuck on Android-4.4.2. On the phone, it's difficult to tell what's Google's and what's Samsung's; On the tablet, it's very much business as usual. OS caused crashes and freezes are basically non existent. Network based freezes still happen occasionally, but usually on mobile internet.

I think the next big OS thing will be advances in the 'Augmented Reality' field. I don't know stuff, but my son works in IOS development and an Augmented Reality interface will be part of IOS 11. There already is some Android equivalent, but no doubt it will be developed. As the apps come out, no doubt you'll need to update the OS.

Last edited by business_kid; 08-20-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #18
X-LFS-2010

Rep: Reputation: 58
> I would like a phone I have control over with no bloatware or tracking!

not in USA, whoever says you can't be seen is lying to you like your mother did (that's a joke)!

iPhone gives you a Unix Terminal access to other hosts. exactly what is your advantage of having unix available and running "on the phone" ... as opposed to an easy App Store with free (and pay) software ?

iPhone can run Mathematica (not the full version, but pretty nice) free of charge (if you have it on your PC) over the cloud - and it does use the phone's local processor while doing so.

iPhone Xcode allows you to easily write apps and leave them on your phone - and debug them realtime on the phone.

iPhone is simply reliable, smart (i.e., networking issues, cloud issues - all are hands off experiences), if a little simple.

As you've been noticing: there are Kings of the android/google/phone world - and they aren't helping you out they are helping the the big cats out. they are advertising they are out for you and your community but look who's profiting

I see why you'd like ubuntu on Android - I'd think it's cool too (cost aside). But I don't think it's "worth while". Screen is too small. If you hook up your "mini-PC" to use the phone as a display would you bother? the mini pc would run ubuntu/android great but would you get much out of having all that on a tiny little screen?

that's just my take.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #19
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474
Started with a Blackberry

Next was a Iphone

My Samsung S7 now is my easiest to use phone when hooking up to my Linux computer. I gotta admit though.

The blackberry was just as good interfacing with Linux. Iphone got a " F " rating with me interfacing with Linux.

Blackberry and My Samsung accept micro sd cards. The Iphone would not. Blackberry had a easy battery change. Samsung and Iphone do not.

Keeping the Samsung for now. Blackberry is a backup < lower specs > .

Quote:
" OK Google "

Last edited by rokytnji; 10-11-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #20
business_kid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mysl View Post
What's wrong with the Windows Phone OS?
@D.Mysl: I admire your bravery in posting that on a linux forum, as you certainly inviting flames and hate mail. But I'm too old/dumb/numb to notice.

A lot is wrong with windows phone OS. M$ is scraping the bottom of the barrel developer wise. Good developers will write iOS apps based on the quality of the idea, write Android equivalents more reluctantly, or subcontract the bulk of the donkey work to India, manage and finish it, and refuse windows phone altogether, because it's simply not worth it. Only guys whose efforts at iOS & Android are being refused/laughed at bother to get into windows phone.

An actor son of mine had windows OS when they were throwing the things away here. Actors here are permanently penniless. He tried, but it crashed, the applications were crap and buggy, any app worth having wasn't on windows phone, & the development platform is way behind. He quickly returned to his 2-generations-behind Apple iphone.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #21
masinick

Distribution: Debian, antiX, MX Linux

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
Android 8.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
I think Android-7.0 is already out there.

Not only is Android 7.0 and its maintenance updates available and shipping,

Android Oreo final release date

"Android 8.0 Oreo's presentation is during the total solar eclipse on August 21, 2017 in New York. The live stream video of the eclipse and the big reveal of Android O are both on Google's website. After the presentation, Android Oreo will first be made available for the Pixel devices and certain Nexus devices."

Source: https://www.androidpit.com/android-o...s#release-date

Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #22
YesItsMe

Rep: Reputation: 313Reputation: 313Reputation: 313Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1623 View Post
I would like a phone I have control over with no (...) tracking!
Are you aware that you are actively tracked by your government according to your mobile cell and that this applies to any available phone?

Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #23
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesItsMe View Post
Are you aware that you are actively tracked by your government according to your mobile cell and that this applies to any available phone?
Don't the US government also mandate that law enforcement and other servces are able to remotely switch on GPS and retreive the data from that?

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:34 AM   #24
business_kid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273 View Post
Don't the US government also mandate that law enforcement and other servces are able to remotely switch on GPS and retreive the data from that?
Entertaining - I'm not in the US, and with all I'm reading about poisonous food, overbearing scrutiny, corporations 'owning' politicians, invasions of privacy, high violence & mass murders, I'm wondering why people aren't running out of the place at a much faster rate than they are.

Does that mean they change your setting from "GPS off" to GPS on," or do they get the phone to lie to you (i.e. telling you the GPS is off while locating you for the police).

Old 10-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #25
LQ Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
Entertaining - I'm not in the US, and with all I'm reading about poisonous food, overbearing scrutiny, corporations 'owning' politicians, invasions of privacy, high violence & mass murders, I'm wondering why people aren't running out of the place at a much faster rate than they are.

Does that mean they change your setting from "GPS off" to GPS on," or do they get the phone to lie to you (i.e. telling you the GPS is off while locating you for the police).
Strangely I can no longer find the reports about it and a link I found to the FCC regarding mandatory GPS in phones was dead. The EU 112 number will, I am told, enable GPS also.
Sadly I can't find links to back me up at this point so you're welcome to offer me a tinfoil hat but I definitely recall mandatory GPS being mentioned a few years ago.

Last edited by 273; 10-14-2017 at 03:52 AM.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #26
business_kid
LQ Guru

Here, we get into the politics of privacy vs. law enforcement and we are hijacking doc623's thread about Phone Recommendations.

I gather we have no mandatory gps tracking in the EU, not even for those on a Sex Offender's Register. Being on that Sex Offender's Register imposes reporting requirements on the offender, and they're watched closely. Nothing is public (because they'd be lynched). After decades of pedophilia by priests here, there is huge anger directed at these individuals.
I thought phone tracking was at the same level as search warrants in the US: Satisfy a judge there is good reason, he bangs his gavel and authorities can trample all over someone's privacy, shut down his server, bug his car/house/anything, etc.

EDIT: In the EU, 112 is an international emergency services number. GPS tracking would be a good thing in that situation.

Last edited by business_kid; 10-14-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474
Shoot. Govt/police tracking never bailed me out on a motorcycle breakdown in the middle of the desert.
Leave the desert? You gotta be kidding me.

Back on topic. So what phone is the OP gonna shell out some money on? Curious minds wanna know after devoting moments of their lives to post in this thread?

Old 10-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #28
masinick

Distribution: Debian, antiX, MX Linux

Rep: Reputation: 104Reputation: 104
I recommend (and personally own) the MOTO G5 Plus.

See reviews at https://www.cnet.com/products/motoro...5-plus/review/
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/moto-g5-plus
https://www.pcmag.com/review/352573/...a-moto-g5-plus

Note that depending on the vendor you use, you may encounter some challenges getting the unit provisioned on certain networks. Verizon Wireless in the USA can be particularly challenging. I overcame that issue by taking a SIM card from a working unit and getting the identification updated at a local store, then it worked great.

Other minor issues: the sound with the default speakers is so-so - too much "tin" sound; easily solved by using a good Bluetooth headset or Bluetooth speakers. I got a car that can use the phone, music, etc. through the Bluetooth, Pandora, or Phone integration offered by the car, which is common. The unit works great at home with either a sound bar or a portable Bluetooth speaker.

At less than half the price of my previous Android phone, less bloat than ISP-provided versions of Android, this G5 Plus easily performs much better than my previous phone, and has all of the software that I need, and I added just what I wanted, nothing less, but didn't have to "root" the phone to accomplish this.

The G5 Plus consistently gets reviews putting it at the top of the budget class of phones, competing well with the "popular models", lacking a few of the "newest features", but also lacking the overabundance of junk software installed on the majority of phones aimed at consumers. I'm very pleased after several months owning the phone.

Another plus: if I have the phone pretty much charged before going to bed and I set an alarm on the phone to wake me up, I usually have well over 90%, usually 93-97% of the remaining charge. This phone has good algorithms for not constantly running stuff in the background unless you've started them. A charge goes a long way on this efficient, well thought out phone and I definitely recommend it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #29
ChuangTzu

Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others

Rep: Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857Reputation: 1857
I always had good luck with LG phones, they tend to cost less then Samsung as well. I am, however, in the process of going back to a "dumb phone"/flip phone. Tired of all the tracking BS, I miss the days of a simple phone and a separate GPS when needed.

I also read in the past the very news the above posters referenced, Stallman has also addressed this many times, there are a few good youtube videos on how the app engineers are purposefully designing the apps to control our behavior/thinking etc... and to invoke the most primitive parts of our brains.

Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvQxtotEX-M
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...ncy-alerts-wea
http://fox6now.com/2013/07/02/cell-p...-alert-system/

Last edited by ChuangTzu; 10-18-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added References