LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2024, 11:47 PM   #1
Johng

Distribution: Kubuntu, Mint

Rep: Reputation: 31
Kbuntu vertical display change, icon layer

The vertical display on my Kbuntu 22.04 has suddenly changed.

The size of the deskop wallpaper is fixed and normal, however the layer containing desktop icons has expanded vertically, with a scroll bar on the right side, which will move the icons up and down.

Presumable, there is a setting somewhere that can be reset so that the icon layer is the same size as the wallpaper. Where is it??

Further testing:

The vertical size of the icon layer appears to be determined by icon placement at the top and bottom. If there is a row of icons at the top, the layer appears to "need" at least one icon below the bottom of the screen for a bottom row of icons to display on the screen. Dragging the below screen icon to mid screen seems to be not allowed, as it jumps back below the screen. A weird behaviour.

Last edited by Johng; 03-29-2024 at 01:17 AM. Reason: change diagnosis

Old 03-29-2024, 04:09 PM   #2
Johng

Original Poster
If I arrange the icons in a certain pattern, apply 'Lock Icons' and reboot, the icons are scattered. This suggests the "layer" containing the icons is corrupted, what to do to fix it??

I have learned that my reference to icon layer is more accurately the desktop Folder view/mode which is misbehaving . . . .

Last edited by Johng; 03-29-2024 at 06:32 PM.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:44 PM   #3
Johng

Original Poster
Further testing:
The problem seems to be caused by something re-writing/corupting two files:
Quote:
.config/plasmashellrc and .config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
If I arrange the icons and then change the properties of these two files to view only and re-boot, I get a black screen with a message to saying:
Quote:
Configuration file .congig/plasmashellrc not writable
When I press OK the desktop wallpaper appears, which is followed by the folder view with the icons miss-arranged, and then the icons reset to the correct positions.

What is corrupting these files??