LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2024, 01:10 AM   #1
des_a

Rep: Reputation: 36
Can You Teach Me How to Create and AD Server (Active Directory) With Mageia Linux 9?

Can you please teach me how to create a script, and also understand how it works, or a set of scripts (bash or plain sh, probably which defaults on Linux to execution with a special part of bash), which will set up an Active Directory Server? And can you teach me how to maintain it, and do all basic tasks you would learn in school about windows server 2019, or 2022 or newer, but in Mageia Linux 9? I'm OK with using the command line if I need to. But the reason I chose that distribution for servers for my standard, is there are GUIs for some things, so I don't have to be an expert just to get a server working. I would love if there was a thing in a distribution equievelent to a clone of server wizard. I like the abillity to do advanced things, in the standard way on Linux, but sometimes I just want to start somewhere before I tweak things. The closest I get, is Mageias tools, which by actual use, are getting worse with every new version, where they were really good in the past, and also they haven't evolved for the future of Linux. But they're the best I have, unless even in Linux, I have thousdands of dolloars to shell out before I can even begin, like the zental or something like that. I would love to donate some money, on the other hand, once I get it working. If not, consider it an evaulation.

I have basically been evaluating for the purposes of learning, windows server 2019. Now if Active Directory in Linux can't do all the same group policies for windows 10, as server 2019 is, maybe I want to redo the server and make it permenant. However, if it can be done with Linux, I want to. My distribution is what I desire to make it work on. I'm familiar with the basics of dnf.

See my network scripts over on github:

http://github.com/smileynet000

...For more information on the general form I would like my scripts to take. If I can copy some of the existing code, and make it work, I would love to.

This is also, where I learn to use the home.arpa domain, like you guys taught me about. I need a smooth migration to the new server too, without losing work from switching. But the general process, would be also to create the server, without deleting the old one. Make sure the new server works, before doing a deletion of the old one. Maybe 1 year before it gets deleted after I have the new server. It also starts with practice in a VM on virtual box, on this machine. I have to run 2 vms, an evaluation of windows 10 for client, and this, to make sure it works ok. Once it works OK, I do it for real, and then it goes on the antsle, which I would like to see if I can convert to proxmox, but first I just deal with it being an antsle, as that's the first thing to do with servers. Learning could be valuable job skills too. I somehow created one when I was in school with ubuntu server, but lost my documenation. It wasn't nearly good enough though as I had no idea how to use an external DNS server, like a pi hole, which I may want to set up on the antsle. Also I couldn't understnad how to set group policies, so no good on that try. But at least I refreshed my memory on samba when I did this excercise in school. They should have taught me how to do both in linux and windows, as that's more of what everyone in jobs are actually looking for these days anyway. Both or they don't want you. I could probably, as another excercise, try to repeat what I did with ubuntu server, but I'd rather a more direct learning approach. I use lxde for my GUI for the mageia server. If I have this server, I can continue on the other server I'm working on learning how to build. I can connect the two for tests. But I don't think my machine will run more than two or three servers from virtual box at once (this machine). I think it will swap pretty hard with 2 machines. I believe linux mint uses a swap file in my configuration. I have a TB of hard drive space, and also need to delete some vms pretty soon to free up space.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2024, 01:12 AM   #2
des_a

Original Poster

To reiterate this is Mageia Linux 9 I want to make this work on.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:17 PM   #3
des_a

Original Poster

I found this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Set...ain_Controller

I'm waiting until I can print it.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:27 AM   #4
des_a

Original Poster

Printer installed, "almost", working. I printed the article. Now I can try to do what's in the article.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:55 PM   #5
des_a

Original Poster

Printer installed.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...76#post6487476

Old 03-06-2024, 03:55 PM   #6
des_a

Original Poster

Now back to AD.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:28 AM   #7
des_a

Original Poster

Yep. I'll take a break from browsing other forums to help other people too, but not very long, as I feel like I know just enough, to help others too. I'll go back to working on my AD server, and see what my script can help me do.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:40 AM   #8
des_a

Original Poster

I have made a tough decision. I am going to use a windows server for my domain controller more permantly, for now, and pay for the license. Next pass I do, then I will learn this AD stuff for it. I enjoy learning. The problem, is this is too much learning, and I need more servers up right now! So in the interest of time, I just need to go and set some of them up. I will miss not knowing how to do it, but I WILL learn in time.