LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Containers
User Name
Password
Linux - Containers This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux containers. Docker, LXC, LXD, runC, containerd, CoreOS, Kubernetes, Mesos, rkt, and all other Linux container platforms are welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2024, 05:34 PM   #1
des_a

Rep: Reputation: 36
When is portainer Home and Student Neccessary?

This should be a pretty quick question, from someone with experience, and will probably help others too. I am rebuilding servers. They are way out of date. In order to do this, I had to learn to use docker. While learning about docker, I learned about portainer. I had to go back again, and take notes on docker, way after taking notes on the general Linux command line. I'm not a beginner with the linux command line, but have a new approach to learn more about it. Trying to remember everything after learning has failed me. It's not just me, really, it's a bad practice. I'm fixing that. Thanks distrotube!

Anyway, my plan, as I was learning, was to make use of portainer, to ease my current learning curve. Not that I would ever NEVER learn the docker better, but it was a way of getting started.

For my use case, I decided that all my linux mint machines should have portainer. This is 10-30 machines, but I'm pretty sure, including servers, no more than 30. Unfortunately, while in the midst of learning, it looks like they made a portainer-ce. Maybe it was already there, and I found the solution, then forgot it. But it appears it showed up while doing my learning. Now I'd be about ready for it. I would have no need right now, to create a solution where they were managed from the same instance. Does this mean I don't need Home and Student to do this? Or, would I be required to use home and student? Or business. I can survive without it, but there will be a steeper learning curve if I do. For servers, it serves a different purpose than for clients. But my plan, as it was origionally, was to use it on every client as well. 30 machines is just an estimate, without counting one by one and adding things one by one. It might very well be less, but wouldn't be more. Like I said, if this would make a difference, I could have machines have their own instance each, and not be connected. That was how I assumed it would work for me anyway. I don't have a big enough network that I would require linking them or anything, at this point.

To restate, basically, I just want to know which license is required for that use. I'm also open to other guis, similar to portainer, but portainer is the one I know about so far. The purpose is different for docker on clients and servers.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM   #2
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941Reputation: 3941
I would suggest that you ask the vendor.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:34 PM   #3
des_a

Original Poster

OK. Where do I do that? I'm pretty new to docker as a whole.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:53 PM   #4
des_a

Original Poster

Found it:

https://www.portainer.io/contact-us

Old 01-29-2024, 12:03 AM   #5
des_a

Original Poster

Question asked. Waiting...

Old 01-30-2024, 12:26 AM   #6
des_a

Original Poster

They said my use case would be OK. It's if I want revolving stuff, or something of that nature they said. I'm sure it won't apply to me right now. Closing...