LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
rsood
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to fully disable automatic updates

Hello,

I toyed around with Debian for many years. When Windows 10 came out and Microsoft decided that they own my computer and should be able to install their updates when they want, I made the switch to Debian on my laptop. Now Debian seems to be going down the same path.

I absolutely would like to be notified when there are updates available so that I can install them when I have time. However, it is not appropriate for an OS to install updates on its own whenever you [try to] shutdown, particularly not on a laptop.

I went in to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/##unattended-upgrades and commented out the lines that were uncommented (in my case these were:
"origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian";
"origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian-Security";
"origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-security,label=Debian-Security";
)

Somehow, I still seem to be getting updates that install when I shutdown though. Last night when I went to shutdown, the shutdown prompt said "Install updates and shutdown", but did not give me any option to shutdown without installing the update (after starting up this morning, it appears that update was for skypeforlinux).

My question is: How can I fully disable automatic updates (such that I don't get prompts like the above, nor do I have updates installed at any time without my approval, nor do I have to give my approval for updates in order to shutdown/startup)?

Thank you

Old 11-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
shruggy

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsood View Post
How can I fully disable automatic updates
Uninstall unattended-upgrades I guess. The package is neither required nor important nor standard.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
rsood
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
Uninstall unattended-upgrades I guess. The package is neither required nor important nor standard.
Well, that's a simple solution. Just done, hopefully it works. If I don't have any issues for a couple weeks I'll come back and mark this solved.

I'm not so sure there is not something else involved though. The logs in /var/log/unattended-upgrades/ didn't mention anything about any of the updates I've seen, and as I said originally, commenting out the lines that tell it where to pull updates from didn't seem to have any effect.

The package may not be supposed to be standard, but it seems like it was installed by default when I installed bullseye. When I uninstalled it, the only thing depending on it was some python3 package, which recommended unattended-upgrades. I did not install python3 myself.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:20 PM   #4
descendant_command

Rep: Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
I think the gnome metapackage pulls it in.
Those guys think they know what is good for you...

Old 11-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
jmgibson1981

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392Reputation: 392
I think the viewpoint is that the default packages are the best idea for newcomers or Microsoft refugees. Typically a transfer isn't going to be super concerned with stuff like this, they may even expect it. As such I think one is in the minority not being happy with stuff like that, at least new to the linux world. But at any rate you can make those choices for yourself. You have the option. Microsoft does not give you that option. Also while there are probably no hard statistics I'm thinking most long term users will do a net install and add the packages they want rather than using the base installation image with all it brings. Again, the choice is yours.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #6
rsood
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Unfortunately, merely uninstalling unattended-upgrades was not the solution; I still got a notice today "Install updates and shutdown?" with no option to shutdown without installing updates.

Perhaps it is time to explore other desktop environments, and/or take this up on the official Debian forums.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:36 AM   #7
Jan K.

Distribution: Windows 7...

Rep: Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489Reputation: 489
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure unattended-upgrades"?

Found here... https://linuxiac.com/how-to-set-up-a...tes-on-debian/

Not a Debian user, have just followed thread because of... disbelief or amazement?

Aren't "auto-" settings something you must opt-in for or select during install?

Old 11-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #8
evo2
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mostly Debian and CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705Reputation: 1705
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsood View Post
Unfortunately, merely uninstalling unattended-upgrades was not the solution; I still got a notice today "Install updates and shutdown?" with no option to shutdown without installing updates.

Perhaps it is time to explore other desktop environments, and/or take this up on the official Debian forums.
Looks like maybe gnome-software is doing this. If you can't configure it to leave you alone, perhaps just remove it. Eg
Code:
sudo apt purge gnome-software
Evo2.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:13 AM   #9
Brains

Distribution: All OS except Apple

Rep: Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389Reputation: 389
Quote:
################ DISABLE AUTO UPDATE #####################
aptitude remove plasma-discover
aptitude remove unattended-upgrades
systemctl disable apt-daily.service
systemctl disable apt-daily.timer
systemctl disable apt-daily-upgrade.service
systemctl disable apt-daily-upgrade.timer

systemctl stop packagekit.service
systemctl disable packagekit.service
systemctl mask packagekit.service
systemctl stop packagekit-offline-update.service
systemctl disable packagekit-offline-update.service
systemctl mask packgekit-offline-update.service

And, optionally, sudo rm -rf /var/cache/PackageKit
Some of the things I would do.
I have not installed Debian Stable in a while, but Debian installer (testing) asks you during installation if you want to enable auto updates, the default is 'No'.
You can also comment out all lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, no sources means no metadata checks, no software available for install or anything.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #10
Brains

Actually
I do recall installing Testing where the default for auto update was set to 'Yes'. In virtual machine installs I think, where it uses Ethernet not WiFi.
I think if you install Debian over WiFi auto updates will default to off, install over Ethernet the default is on. Just an observation based assumption.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:29 PM   #11
Brains

My method:
Download net install CD ISO, download firmware-atheros package from here for my wifi device, burn to USB and stick the firmware-atheros package in the firmware folder of the USB. No need to download ISO with tons of firmware you don't need if you know which firmware package you need.