LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2024, 06:02 PM   #1
linux-man

Distribution: native install of Parrot Home Edition 5.0 Debian (no security tools) 64 bit, KDE, 5.14.0-9parrot1,

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Can't tell if tor has been removed as still see two tor icons on Ubuntu at the bottom

I am trying to uninstall and reinstall tor browser because it wouldn't connect intially, tor has worked in past though.

To uninstall I used these commands:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove tor

sudo apt-get autoremove tor

sudo apt-get purge tor

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge tor
Code:
find / -name '*.desktop' -exec grep -H "Name=Tor Browser" {} \; 2>/dev/null
I can see two tor icons at the bottom middle section of the Ubuntu desktop (not sure what that area is called officially). I click them nothing happens. I would like to get rid of the two tor icons and install Tor again either thru Software center or terminal. Thanks in advance

Old 01-12-2024, 06:07 PM   #2
maybeJosiah

Distribution: Ubuntu, Android, Ubuntu Touch, Jolla Sailfish maybe

Rep: Reputation: 5
Did you do those commands in that order. If you did you may still have to partly installed. You should run purge first because after remove it may not be able to find a package. X E.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:23 PM   #3
linux-man

Distribution: native install of Parrot Home Edition 5.0 Debian (no security tools) 64 bit, KDE, 5.14.0-9parrot1,

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeJosiah View Post
Did you do those commands in that order. If you did you may still have to partly installed. You should run purge first because after remove it may not be able to find a package. X E.
I ran it in that order. Go back and run purge and don't worry the order of the rest?

Old 01-12-2024, 06:34 PM   #4
maybeJosiah

Distribution: Ubuntu, Android, Ubuntu Touch, Jolla Sailfish maybe

Rep: Reputation: 5
You would have to have tor installed for purge to work. It looks like your process left some stuff. I am no expert on this but I think reinstall tor then purge it then reinstall tor should do like complete remove then reinstall. Last reinstall your call. X E.