LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
anon06
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question What about the host with whonix gateway ?

Sorry,

I have an other question about whonix but it should be easy to answer it.

If we just run whonix gateway (without workstation) what happen with the host network.

Do it get also redirected through tor or do the host is totally independant from the gateway and obviously if you go on internet you get spotted ?

Thank

Old 01-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditaya View Post
Sorry,

If we just run whonix gateway (without workstation) what happen with the host network.

Do it get also redirected through tor or do the host is totally independant from the gateway and obviously if you go on internet you get spotted ?

Thank

if you think it should be easy to answer you probably already did some research on the topic.
please share it with us.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
anon06
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Exclamation

If I understood whonix is broken

It absolutly not hide the host who know that you have whonix gateway so you are absolutly not anonymous. Even with the workstation you are not safe you are spotted thank to virtualbox and like network host don't go through the gateway whonix completly fail.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928Reputation: 5928
I dont know how well whonix works but the gateway protects the workstation not the host. The workstation is isolated from the host and the physical hardware. Since it only connects to the Internet using tor it should be anonymous.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
OnionPeels
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu/Whonix/Qubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditaya View Post
Sorry,

Do it get also redirected through tor or do the host is totally independent from the gateway and obviously if you go on internet you get spotted ?

Thank
To answer your first question; nothing will happen to the host network if you just run the gateway.
Second question; the host does not get redirected through tor via the gateway. Yes, the network connection is [virtually] independent. If you've configured your host to be secure and are using a vpn, you shouldn't be "spotted."

All in all, in order to use whonix you MUST run the workstation in conjunction with the gateway. As a side note, if you are going to access the deep web, a vpn is the first service you should be connecting to. The vpn only needs to be run on your host and tor will be funneled through it. Do your homework and stay safe.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
anon06
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Smile Thank

Thank you very much for your answer, it's ok.

But no worry I do it just for fun, now it's clear thank.