LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925

I assume that you've searched the interwebs for msi gt80 linux. If so, you might have seen that you have a challenge on your hands:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=270668.0

https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/23815

I suggest that (i) You search for the term above and see if anyone has been successful in installing any distro on this machine. (ii) You give preference to recent kernels which are more likely to support your hardware.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #17
etcetera

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 17
Yeah, I some some of that. I reconfigured the machine in a serious way, removed RAID0 it came with, added 2 SSDs.. Like I said, Fedora was a fine install except I didn't care for the windows manager and it was missing sound. I want something plug in play. I am sure it exists.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera View Post
Yeah, I some some of that. I reconfigured the machine in a serious way, removed RAID0 it came with, added 2 SSDs.. Like I said, Fedora was a fine install except I didn't care for the windows manager and it was missing sound. I want something plug in play. I am sure it exists.
Fedora comes in various "spins" (https://spins.fedoraproject.org/), not just with the Gnome desktop environment. You often get variations in the capabilities of distro spins/flavours too, so you might find e.g. that audio works with Fedora KDE. Well worth downloading one or two spins and trying them out.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #19
etcetera

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
Fedora comes in various "spins" (https://spins.fedoraproject.org/), not just with the Gnome desktop environment. You often get variations in the capabilities of distro spins/flavours too, so you might find e.g. that audio works with Fedora KDE. Well worth downloading one or two spins and trying them out.

This looks very cool.
and Fedora comes with the LVM which is nice.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #20
Slackware_fan_Fred

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2 Multilib

Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
lol Beat me to it, I was going to say Fedora Spins.
To the OP I have no idea if it will work but if you like KDE you could give Open SUSE a try.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #21
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Maybe give MX Linux a try, run it 'live' to check everything works OK, (or for a lighter system, try AntiX).