LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
someone else

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 0
loading slackware off a diskset to sata ssd but unable to "direct" boot to sata.i

i have a lenovo td230 1029 i am hoping to use for a raid server. set up the lsi raid and thought to use a sata ssd as the os drive. put in disk 1 of a slackware set i have and tried to direct the boot to sata.i instead of bare.i, which looks like (dvdrom)/kernels/sata.i/bzImage (to windows).
i tried successive smaller iterations of this at the boot line. that boot program cannot find any of that line on the disk.
not really sure what else to try. have tried the scsi* boot images but when the image is loaded it is not enough to go searching the disk for anything so not really helpful since i have no scsi hardware. according to the user manual the ICH10R SATA controller is on this motherboard but i do not know where to see what other boot images might have this controller in it.
any ideas will be helpful. if not i will have to find an alternative way to get linux onto this server.
thank you.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
You're actually using diskettes? Try the iso file. The SATA driver should be on the iso install disk. It sounds like you're doing something radically wrong! Most people just boot the install media and install the OS.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
someone else

Original Poster
heh heh heh, no not that bad, cds though. but i have not needed to install on a sata until now, i had a lot of old ide drives that still work. the problem is all the boards i have with ide interfaces are dying and replacements are hard to find for the processors i have. so in the spirit of progress (or begrudgingly dragging on)

put disk 1 in start up and the boot install loads and stops at a "boot:" where i can choose a kernel. ide "bare.i" works for simple commodity ide drives, so hit enter and away it goes loading up and ready to fdisk, and the rest of setup/package loading.

so...the problem as i stated is when the machine boots disk 1 and gets to the "boot:" point where i choose "sata.i" it cannot find it on the disk even when i use the full path, i think it is the right path.

i will find the iso image and try that.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
Try this: http://www.slackware.com/getslack/

Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
someone else

Original Poster
yes thanks. i have been clicking around the 14.2 and current folders for a week now trying to decide if i want to find a disk and burn it and find out all the problems that will undoubtedly come with that or figure out a network install which will have to be initiated with a usb i guess.
either way this is going to take some time.
thank you though for the effort.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
onebuck

Distribution: SlackwareŽ

Rep: Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159
Member response

Hi,

You should be using huge.s as per ;
Quote:
From slackware64-14.2/README.TXT

|-- kernels/ Precompiled Linux 4.4.14 kernel images.
|
|
| `-- huge.s The default standard install kernel for Slackware.
| This supports pretty much everything in the
| 4.4.14 kernel, including Speakup. This kernel
| requires an x86_64 (also known as AMD64, EM64T, or
| Intel 64) capable 64-bit CPU.
If you are using Slackware X32 then;
Quote:
slackware-14.2/README.TXT
|
|-- kernels/ Precompiled Linux 4.4.14 kernel images.
|
|
|
|-- hugesmp.s The default standard install kernel for Slackware.
|
| This supports pretty much everything in the
|
| 4.4.14 kernel, and includes support for Speakup.
|
| This kernel requires at least a Pentium-III processor.
|
|
| `-- huge.s A single-processor version of huge.s that will
| function with older hardware such as a Pentium with
| 128MB (64MB _might_ work) or more of RAM.
| This kernel also supports Speakup.
Mind sharing where you got the Slackware CD ISO files?

You say Slackware then mention '-current'. Did you use;
Quote:
To download -current, create DVD ISO use Alien_Bob's-script -mirror-slackware-current.sh Be sure to note your architecture by changing parameters or passing parameters to script. Script is well documented.
To create the CD sets via a mirror-slackware-current.conf' file?
Quote:
# Set ISO="DVD" if you want a single DVD instead of three CD ISO's.
# Set ISO="CDROM" if you want three CD ISO's instead of a single DVD.
# Set ISO="MINI" if you want only the mini ISO (network installer).
# Set ISO="ALL" if you want three CD ISO's as well as a single DVD ISO.
# You can set the ISO variable using the '-o <iso_type>' switch too.
#ISO="CDROM"
By setting the ISO parameter within for either arc. You can even change to a different release by using ;
Quote:
# The slackware release we're mirroring (defaults to 'current').
# You can use the script's '-r' switch to alter this to another release,
# for instance mirror Slackware 13.37 by passing '-r 13.37' to the script.
RELEASE="current"
Or changing the 'RELEASE="Some release number' as indicated above.

I do suggest that you look at this to help compose a understandable post; https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...#faq_lqwelcome

Hope this helps.
Have fun & enjoy!

Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
someone else

Original Poster
well from the top the spec for this server is 64 bit so that is easy.

the original beginning of this story is an original slackware v.10.1 from i believe i bought in 2002 (maybe...?) and knowing that it had a sata.i file on it because i tried a few times back then but was not able to get it to work and then life gave me other things to worry about so i never got to find out if i was able to get it to work.

the 14.2 iso i tried to download a few days ago i only got a part of before something interrupted the transfer. i tried to get it early this morning (sunday 5am) was not able to connect to the slackware site (via slackware.com/get slack/mirrors (in main box second to last line)/slackware iso images (upper left second button down)/slackware64-14.2-iso/slackware64-14.2-install-dvd-iso. but i have not done that yet because i do not have any discs to burn. i have to wait until tomorrow to borrow some from a person if they even have any. otherwise i have to buy a stack from amazon. have not burned anything in more than twelve or thirteen years...so that will be interesting if any of my dvd drives still burn.

i mentioned current because if you go to slackware.com and follow the "available mirrors" button and then in the top section the top handful of us mirrors (only opened a few to peek) down after the 14.2 folder or thereabouts there is a folder labeled "slackware64-current". so if the 14.2 does not work...

thank you for the info i will follow up after i have worked on it for a while.

and yes my only one teeny flaw is mysynthropy...sorry better had read that first. i will work on that!

thank you again

Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #8
onebuck

Distribution: SlackwareŽ

Rep: Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159Reputation: 3159
Member response

Hi,

It did not seem clear to me at the time. But now that you say you were attempting to use Slackware v.10.1 then early kernels would be needed to get the proper recognized hardware. I would suggest that you can look at these mirrors to get ISO images;
Quote:
SlackwareŽ Mirrors:
Official List of Mirrors
LinuxQuestions.org > ISOs > SlackwareŽ
elektroni <-FTP
Oregon State <- FTP/HTTP + Open Source Lab + Hosting Policy + bandwidth of over 1 gigabit per second
AlienBase <- Alien_Bob's mirror + 'via http' + rsync://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/ + 'The physical server is on a gigabit Internet connection, so I guess I can offer a speedy mirror service! In fact, the mirrors are already complete. With a re-sync of several times a day, I hope to offer an up to date service.' Read the intro + Alien has always been unselfish when it comes to Slackware
The Linux Mirror Project <- Categories: Distributions, kernel & Applications
If you wish to get the Slackware ISO then look at LQ's Download Linux ; http://iso.linuxquestions.org/slackware/

Hope this helps.
Have fun & enjoy!

Last edited by onebuck; 07-22-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: correct URL

Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 AM   #9
someone else

Original Poster
thank you i will try those links. again appreciate the effort.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
someone else

Original Poster
well, downloaded the 14.2 iso image from the slackware site burn to disk and start up server. same "m/o" as before, simply hit boot and brought to a prompt, hit enter. ran fdisk (the top of the menu ran off the top of the screen), but a drive was detected and i set up a single partition of an amount. the total reported is 3.7 of which i get to use 2.0 because it wants to waste the other 1.7 in free space for some reason, and that i cannot allocate. also tried cfdisk to the same effect.

based on the knowledge that my four disks (4TB each are on a hardware raid controller and are recognized by the bios as 3.7 each across 2 drives for a total of 8TB) whatever kernel loaded (huge.s by default is claimed) found only 1 of my raid pairs not both, though i am not sure if it is supposed to see both.

after playing with the bios so it sees the 120GB sata drive as the boot drive, because it did not...my fault, i tried again with cfdisk still sees the 3.7 raid drives. i guess i supposed to be happy that a sata drive is indeed noticed...but instead i am disappointed that the correct drive, or at least not the drive i want, is not noticed.

i tried, at the boot prompt, to "choose" a kernel by pressing [f2], but there are no options.

any thoughts will be better than what i have.

thank you

Old 08-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #11
someone else

Original Poster
well as it is the drive i want as a main boot drive is a sata/ssd which is another topic altogether.