LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
ziaur25
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Distribution: RHEL7
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
"service snmptrapd start" is failing with error "libnetsnmptrapd.so.31: undefined symbol: my_progname"


Hi there,
My query is when I try to start service "snmptrapd" it is getting failed with below error log.


# service snmptrapd status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status snmptrapd.service
snmptrapd.service - Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon.
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/snmptrapd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2016-11-21 07:26:59 UTC; 2h 32min ago
Main PID: 10982 (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Starting Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon....
Nov 21 07:26:59 snmptrapd[10982]: /usr/sbin/snmptrapd: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libnetsnmptrapd.so.31: undefined symbol: my_progname
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: snmptrapd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Failed to start Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon..
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Unit snmptrapd.service entered failed state.
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: snmptrapd.service failed.



I need the above service for my nagios to send mail. It was previously working fine with RHEL6 with snmp version 5.5. Now, I am using RHEL7 and snmp is 5.7.2

Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance
 
Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 24,111

Rep: Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaur25 View Post
Hi there,
My query is when I try to start service "snmptrapd" it is getting failed with below error log.

# service snmptrapd status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status snmptrapd.service
snmptrapd.service - Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon.
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/snmptrapd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2016-11-21 07:26:59 UTC; 2h 32min ago
Main PID: 10982 (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Starting Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon....
Nov 21 07:26:59 snmptrapd[10982]: /usr/sbin/snmptrapd: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libnetsnmptrapd.so.31: undefined symbol: my_progname
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: snmptrapd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Failed to start Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon..
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Unit snmptrapd.service entered failed state.
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: snmptrapd.service failed.

I need the above service for my nagios to send mail. It was previously working fine with RHEL6 with snmp version 5.5. Now, I am using RHEL7 and snmp is 5.7.2 Please provide your suggestions.
Ok...the upgrade wasn't completed, and you're missing parts of SNMP. Re-install it. And the best suggestion, since you're using RHEL is to contact RHEL support, since you're PAYING FOR RHEL, RIGHT???? They can easily walk you through a removal/reinstallation of SNMP.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
dblade
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 0
Status?

Did you ever resolve this issue???? Thanks for any feedback!

heres my test case
Code:
# subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
# yum install net-snmp-perl 

$ perl -e 'use NetSNMP::TrapReceiver';
Can't load '/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/NetSNMP/TrapReceiver/TrapReceiver.so' for module 
NetSNMP::TrapReceiver: /lib64/libnetsnmptrapd.so.31: undefined symbol: my_progname at /usr/lib64
/perl5/DynaLoader.pm line 190.
 at -e line 1.
Compilation failed in require at -e line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.

Last edited by dblade; 03-22-2017 at 09:52 AM.
 
Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 24,111

Rep: Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblade View Post
Did you ever resolve this issue???? Thanks for any feedback! heres my test case
Code:
# subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
# yum install net-snmp-perl 

$ perl -e 'use NetSNMP::TrapReceiver';
Can't load '/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/NetSNMP/TrapReceiver/TrapReceiver.so' for module 
NetSNMP::TrapReceiver: /lib64/libnetsnmptrapd.so.31: undefined symbol: my_progname at /usr/lib64
/perl5/DynaLoader.pm line 190.
 at -e line 1.
Compilation failed in require at -e line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.
Read the "Question Guidelines" and the LQ Rules please...you re-opened an old thread, and you hijacked it with your own question. Open your own threads for your own questions.

As told to the original poster, you appear to be missing part of your SNMP installation, and you hint at using RHEL7. So have you called the Red Hat support that you're paying for (RIGHT?), to ask for assistance? The NetSNMP module you're referencing requires the net-snmp-libs (along with the REST of the net-snmp packages)...did you install them?
 
Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
dblade
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 0
I hijacked a thread w/a question related to the original post??? I need to post a new thread even though this one is an exact hit?? I need to go to Redhat support because you'd rather control the forum content rather than actually provide some constructive help????????

You have no idea what you are talking about regarding the status of the installation!
 
Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
dblade
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 0
Since the thread is already hijacked (that must mean its mine now) I can go ahead and close it out.

The issue was resolved by pulling the latest sources and compiling them. Thanks anyway for the chuckle.
 
Old 03-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 24,111

Rep: Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblade View Post
I hijacked a thread w/a question related to the original post??? I need to post a new thread even though this one is an exact hit?? I need to go to Redhat support because you'd rather control the forum content rather than actually provide some constructive help????????
Apparently you missed the part where you were GIVEN the constructive help, and the question you posted DID NOT match the original question, aside from the same missing library.
Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about regarding the status of the installation!
Right...because you didn't provide them, and were asked to start your own thread where you could provide them. You didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblade
Since the thread is already hijacked (that must mean its mine now) I can go ahead and close it out. The issue was resolved by pulling the latest sources and compiling them. Thanks anyway for the chuckle.
Good luck getting help from people at forums when you talk to them like this, and after being registered here for TEN YEARS, you should be very familiar with the rules and "Question Guidelines". Should you have issues with them, contact a moderator.

And when I posted in this old thread originally, and also REPEATED to you:

"you appear to be missing part of your SNMP installation, and you hint at using RHEL7. So have you called the Red Hat support that you're paying for (RIGHT?), to ask for assistance? The NetSNMP module you're referencing requires the net-snmp-libs (along with the REST of the net-snmp packages)...did you install them?"

...and you then installed the missing software and things worked, you're welcome for the 'constructive help'. Again, if you are using RHEL7 you could have typed in "yum install net-snmp", or "yum provides libnetsnmptrapd.so.31", and it would have told you what to install.

Last edited by TB0ne; 03-24-2017 at 11:13 AM.
 
Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
dblade
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2007
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 0
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and say that the majority of your 18k posts are probably truly helpful. If you go back and read your initial response and still decide you don't sound like a complete pr**k then there is nothing left to achieve here.
 
Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
TB0ne
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 24,111

Rep: Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098Reputation: 7098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblade View Post
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and say that the majority of your 18k posts are probably truly helpful. If you go back and read your initial response and still decide you don't sound like a complete prick then there is nothing left to achieve here.
You're exactly right; you didn't learn, can't acknowledge you got help when it was pointed out, and still want to be nasty. Good luck.
 
Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 13,441

Rep: Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994Reputation: 3994
A couple comments.

* Please note that personal attacks are not acceptable at LQ.
* To reiterate, the "you are using $paid distro, so use $paid_support" is not in the spirit of LQ and should be refrained from moving forward.
* Bold in many contexts will be interpreted as shouting and should be used judiciously.

--jeremy
 
Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #11
June_Chen
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaur25 View Post
Hi there,
My query is when I try to start service "snmptrapd" it is getting failed with below error log.


# service snmptrapd status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status snmptrapd.service
snmptrapd.service - Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon.
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/snmptrapd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2016-11-21 07:26:59 UTC; 2h 32min ago
Main PID: 10982 (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Starting Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon....
Nov 21 07:26:59 snmptrapd[10982]: /usr/sbin/snmptrapd: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libnetsnmptrapd.so.31: undefined symbol: my_progname
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: snmptrapd.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Failed to start Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Trap Daemon..
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: Unit snmptrapd.service entered failed state.
Nov 21 07:26:59 systemd[1]: snmptrapd.service failed.



I need the above service for my nagios to send mail. It was previously working fine with RHEL6 with snmp version 5.5. Now, I am using RHEL7 and snmp is 5.7.2

Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance
I get the same problem in Centos 7.4.
Are you fix the problem ?How to fix for your problem ?
thank you so much
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
apt-get install snmpd gives error" undefined symbol: boot_DynaLoader" renuaseri Linux - Newbie 9 07-29-2016 12:15 AM
Error message "undefined symbol" when executing the command import from gasrine Linux - Software 1 11-23-2010 09:43 AM
plesk + php 4.3.2 upgrade error - "undefined symbol: ap_signal" p_s_shah Linux - Server 0 10-30-2007 12:41 PM
avgscan "relocation error" "undefined symbol: __dynamic_cast_2" Monster_user Linux - Software 0 02-22-2006 11:57 AM
k3b won't start: "undefined symbol" error djzanni Mandriva 2 03-12-2005 10:49 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration