LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
tom_wurdock
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Do kernel updates require recompile of software?


I have always wondered about this.

When running security updates, some distros I use update their kernels to newer versions. Namely Ubuntu and Fedora.

To compile some software, for example VMWare server, I needed the kernel headers for my kernel. Let's say I used the headers for 2.6.15.

If I upgrade my kernel to 2.6.24, do I need to recompile VMWare? Will it most likely still work? What's the deal with this? VMWare was very specific about needing the exact headers for my kernel.

Thanks,
Tom
 
Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
jailbait
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2003
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain
Distribution: Linux Mint 17, Debian 8
Posts: 7,865

Rep: Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_wurdock View Post
I have always wondered about this.

When running security updates, some distros I use update their kernels to newer versions. Namely Ubuntu and Fedora.

To compile some software, for example VMWare server, I needed the kernel headers for my kernel. Let's say I used the headers for 2.6.15.

If I upgrade my kernel to 2.6.24, do I need to recompile VMWare? Will it most likely still work? What's the deal with this? VMWare was very specific about needing the exact headers for my kernel.

Thanks,
Tom

Yes, if you change kernel versions then you need to recompile everything that needs to compile against the kernel headers.

--------------
Steve Stites
 
Old 10-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
tom_wurdock
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbait View Post
Yes, if you change kernel versions then you need to recompile everything that needs to compile against the kernel headers.
Yikes. That's a pain in the ass.
 
Old 10-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
serafean
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Czech Republic
Distribution: Gentoo, Chakra
Posts: 978
Blog Entries: 14

Rep: Reputation: 135Reputation: 135
Hi,

Software doesn't need to be recompiled (its still the same executable). Kernel modules, on the other hand, need to be recompiled; vmware using a module to run the virtual machine more smoothly, the modules needs to be compiled specifically for your kernel version. Even when you recompile the same kernel with different options, I found that recompiling modules was necessary.
 
Old 10-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
tom_wurdock
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafean View Post
Hi,

Software doesn't need to be recompiled (its still the same executable). Kernel modules, on the other hand, need to be recompiled; vmware using a module to run the virtual machine more smoothly, the modules needs to be compiled specifically for your kernel version. Even when you recompile the same kernel with different options, I found that recompiling modules was necessary.
Ahhhh. I belive the vmware tools I installed in a virtual ubuntu machine were indeed kernel modules. I thought vmware server was just an executable, but it still needed kernel headers. Maybe it was an executable AND kernel modules.

Is it typically the case that kernel headers are only required for kernel modules?
 
Old 10-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
kromberg
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Distribution: FC6, FC7 x86_64
Posts: 218

Rep: Reputation: 30
99.992% of the time application do not need to be recompiled. An application will need to be recompiled if a kernel and/or module call interface has changed. Usually interface changes are limited to MINOR version changes( 2.4 -> 2.5 ) so that application will not possibily need to be recompiled.

Keith
 
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
tom_wurdock
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the info, everyone. This makes sense now.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
require samsung gprs modem software for rhel 4 saikasavar Linux - Desktop 0 10-16-2007 02:47 AM
IPSec install on FC4 - may require kernel configuration ? rafiqul Linux - Newbie 2 02-03-2006 07:06 PM
Require a Makefile for kernel module programs b123coder Linux - Newbie 1 12-28-2004 11:11 AM
Require Help in kernel programming ranendra_dutta Linux - Networking 0 07-04-2002 08:35 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration