LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: 0
WiFi worked when run Xubuntu off CD but stopped after installation


I'm a Mac/Windows user and am trying out Linux for the very first time.

I first tried out Xubuntu by running Xubuntu directly off the CD-ROM, it worked beautifully. It recognized all the hardware configuration and connected to my WiFi network without any problem. I was excited and installed Xubuntu directly.

However after Xubuntu was installed, Wifi stopped working. It's not even showing the list of access points available.

Is there a difference between running Xubuntu off the CD-ROM vs the actual install?

Help.

Thanks in advance.
 
Old 07-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
stress_junkie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 and CentOS 5.5
Posts: 3,873

Rep: Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332Reputation: 332
Unfortunately this is not unusual. The good news is that you can boot the live CD to see what is required to make the wireless work. Try this. Boot the live CD. Open a terminal window. Mount the Xubuntu partition. Enter the lsmod command to see what modules are loaded. Pipe the output to a text file on the Xubuntu partition. Let's say that /dev/hda1 is the Xubuntu partition.
Code:
sudo -i
mkdir /mnt/hda1
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
lsmod > /mnt/hda1/lsmod-live.txt
umount /mnt/hda1
Then boot the installed Xubuntu. List the modules that are loaded and compare that to the ones that were loaded when the live CD was running.
Code:
sudo -i
lsmod > /lsmod-installed.txt
diff /lsmod-live.txt /lsmod-installed.txt
sdiff /lsmod-live.txt /lsmod-installed.txt
Hopefully you will be able to see what is missing. If not then post both lsmod files here.

Last edited by stress_junkie; 07-25-2008 at 07:36 PM.
 
Old 07-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stress_junkie View Post
Unfortunately this is not unusual. The good news is that you can boot the live CD to see what is required to make the wireless work. Try this. Boot the live CD. Open a terminal window. Mount the Xubuntu partition. Enter the lsmod command to see what modules are loaded. Pipe the output to a text file on the Xubuntu partition. Let's say that /dev/hda1 is the Xubuntu partition.
Code:
sudo -i
mkdir /mnt/hda1
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
lsmod > /mnt/hda1/lsmod-live.txt
umount /mnt/hda1
Then boot the installed Xubuntu. List the modules that are loaded and compare that to the ones that were loaded when the live CD was running.
Code:
sudo -i
lsmod > /lsmod-installed.txt
diff /lsmod-live.txt /lsmod-installed.txt
sdiff /lsmod-live.txt /lsmod-installed.txt
Hopefully you will be able to see what is missing. If not then post both lsmod files here.
Thanks for getting back to me. Will try it out and try to decipher the difference.
 
Old 07-28-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I must be sounding really stupid. How can I find out the name of my Xubuntu partition?
 
Old 07-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
This is what I know:

1. I have only one partition.
2. This is the partition I used to install Xubuntu.

I will try out hda1 and see if it works.
 
Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
This is very strange. I just booted using Live CD and this time the WiFi didn't work either.
 
Old 07-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
which version of Xubuntu did you use?
After installation did you try to find out if your wlan card was detected and that the required driver was installed?
 
Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
I'm using the latest version which is 8.04.1.

The first time I booted it up using Live CD, it worked beautifully. But after the permanent install, WiFi stopped working. I think it still detected the Wifi card, as the "Wifi" icon did appear on the upper right hand corner of the screen. However it was not able to detect any of the access points around.
 
Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If it detected the card then may be it is not properly configured.
Is the IP configuration according to your network?
 
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
IndyGunFreak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Indpls
Distribution: Laptops: Debian Jessie XFCE, NAS: OpenMediaVault 3.0
Posts: 1,355

Rep: Reputation: 70
Well, no matter what it done on the Live CD, it doesn't work now, so lets trouble shoot it..

Assuming this wireless device is "internal" open a terminal and run "lspci" no quotes, and see how it identifies your wireless device. Should look something like this...

Code:
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
if its a USB device, I *believe* "lsusb" will identify it. Once the device is known, we should be able to get it working somehow...

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 07-28-2008 at 08:51 AM.
 
Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 AM   #11
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxlover.chaitanya View Post
If it detected the card then may be it is not properly configured.
Is the IP configuration according to your network?
My network is a very simple setup. WiFi with DHCP. No WEP security either.
 
Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 AM   #12
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Well, no matter what it done on the Live CD, it doesn't work now, so lets trouble shoot it..

Assuming this wireless device is "internal" open a terminal and run "lspci" no quotes, and see how it identifies your wireless device. Should look something like this...

Code:
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
if its a USB device, I *believe* "lsusb" will identify it. Once the device is known, we should be able to get it working somehow...

IGF
It's a PCMCIA card, so lspci didn't work. Is there a different command to look at my PCMCIA?
 
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
This command should work for you "lspcmcia" ( without quotes obviously )
 
Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
pegasus.w
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Posts: 11

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
This is what was returned when I used lspcmcia:

Socket 0 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:00:02.0)
Socket 1 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:00:02.1)
Socket 1 Device 0: [orinoco_cs] (bus ID: 1.0)

Does this give you an idea on which chipset is inside my PCMCIA WiFi card?
 
Old 07-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #15
linuxlover.chaitanya
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Nagpur, India
Distribution: Cent OS 5/6, Ubuntu Server 10.04
Posts: 4,629

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
From the last line I believe it is orinoco chipset by Proxim. But you better check it as I do not use PCMCIA cards.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Videos stopped working in VLC (other programs never worked) Chriswaterguy Linux - Software 0 10-06-2007 11:40 AM
Sound stopped working xubuntu silverfox666 Linux - Software 10 05-31-2007 06:24 PM
Xubuntu - sudo stopped working NNP Ubuntu 4 06-08-2006 04:11 AM
Xubuntu - 'Applications' menu stopped responding NNP Ubuntu 3 06-06-2006 06:08 PM
Ndiswrapper Worked and Stopped deepgrewal SUSE / openSUSE 2 03-24-2005 03:25 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration