LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
vanillaiceman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Talking Help - why are my internet pages suddenly looking strange?


I have linux firefox installed on my notebook, and after having a bit of a problem with it, I did a full factory reset back to all the original settings. Now when I connect to the internet, some of the pages now are not displayed properly. For instance, when visiting E-bay, the listings look fine, but my E-bay page is all listed down the page, (if that makes sense) and I cannot look at any of the photos. MSN is also, how can I put this, spread out across the page. I have done a live update to see if that makes a difference, but no joy. Please, any help would be gratefully received, but I'm not massivly technically minded, so can it please be fairly simple,
 
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
ajeetsinghraina
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04/8.04/8.10/10.04, RHEL 6, OpenSUSE,Mandriva,Fedora, CentOS, XandrOS, Slackware, OpenSolar
Posts: 155

Rep: Reputation: 55
what OS are you working on?
 
Old 05-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
vanillaiceman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Now, might sound like I'm really stupid, but as the notebook came with the software pre-installed, how do I find that out? Sorry for being thick!
 
Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
vanillaiceman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Scratch that, found it - Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.9.E
 
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
crts
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,620

Rep: Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaiceman View Post
I have linux firefox installed on my notebook, and after having a bit of a problem with it, I did a full factory reset back to all the original settings. Now when I connect to the internet, some of the pages now are not displayed properly. For instance, when visiting E-bay, the listings look fine, but my E-bay page is all listed down the page, (if that makes sense) and I cannot look at any of the photos. MSN is also, how can I put this, spread out across the page. I have done a live update to see if that makes a difference, but no joy. Please, any help would be gratefully received, but I'm not massivly technically minded, so can it please be fairly simple,
Hi,

I had a similiar problem on my laptop with firefox. Lines which had photos displayed next to them were displaced. In my case simply adjusting the size by hitting ctrl_+/ctrl_- fixed it eventually. Not sure if this will work for you. If not, please make a screenshot and upload it here.

Last edited by crts; 05-07-2010 at 01:31 PM.
 
Old 05-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
ajeetsinghraina
Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: India
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04/8.04/8.10/10.04, RHEL 6, OpenSUSE,Mandriva,Fedora, CentOS, XandrOS, Slackware, OpenSolar
Posts: 155

Rep: Reputation: 55
Have they provided you with any CD for software installation.
Did yu tried browsing through other web browser.
 
Old 05-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
vanillaiceman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
When I alter the size of the text, the size changes put the actual problem is still there. I only have a recovery disc with the notebook. I dont actually know how to get a full screen grab from the internet to show you the problem. THe listings show up as alright, but not my E-bay page. Sorry again fro being and sounding stupid!
 
Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
crts
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,620

Rep: Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaiceman View Post
When I alter the size of the text, the size changes put the actual problem is still there. I only have a recovery disc with the notebook. I dont actually know how to get a full screen grab from the internet to show you the problem. THe listings show up as alright, but not my E-bay page. Sorry again fro being and sounding stupid!
Hi,

I found this page
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Websites_look_wrong

One of the hints there might fix your problem.
Hope this helps.
 
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
vanillaiceman
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2010
Posts: 8

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs up

crts, that link is AMAZING, going through loads of things on it, and, hopefully, it seems to have fixed the problem. Dont know exactly which one sorted it, but thanks, its all ok now!
 
Old 05-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
crts
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,620

Rep: Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillaiceman View Post
crts, that link is AMAZING, going through loads of things on it, and, hopefully, it seems to have fixed the problem. Dont know exactly which one sorted it, but thanks, its all ok now!
Glad I could help. Please mark the thread as solved: Click on 'Thread tools -> mark as solved'
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mouse pointer suddenly act very strange! antoniusEde Debian 3 02-27-2010 10:27 PM
Strange Internet Issue (*Most* pages won't load) DeProgrammer Linux - Networking 6 12-04-2008 10:00 AM
Compiling modules suddenly gets strange errors... weav Linux - Software 1 12-19-2005 03:04 PM
strange - suddenly EINTR' undeclared polrus Linux - Software 3 04-23-2005 12:03 PM
suddenly unable to change permissions (very strange) hobylinux Linux - Hardware 5 09-15-2003 07:30 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration