LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
bmacc
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2017
Location: USA(DC) and/or EU(Finland)
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 5

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Linux install on an HP 255 G6, what's the problem here?


When I try to boot from USB (any distro) I get this error.

[ 0.030711] [Firmware Bug]: cpu 0, invalid threshold interrupt offset 1 for bank 4, block 0 (MSR00000413=0xd0000fff01000000)
[ 0.410881] platform wdat_wdt: failed to claim resource 1
[ 0.546483] ACPI Error: [WLVD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (201609ffff80/psargs-359)

Also lots more ACPI Errors...

Is there anyway to fix this? This is a new PC that my school sent me that had Windows 10 preloaded on it... Windows can go for all I care

model: HP 255 G6 notebook pc
processor: AMD E2-9000e RADEON R2, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G, 1500Mhz, 2 Core(s)
BIOS version/Date: Insyde F.02, 4/7/2017

Last edited by bmacc; 11-05-2017 at 10:41 AM.
 
Old 11-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware & Android
Posts: 8,974

Rep: Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930
Don't know about the age of it, but I would find it unusual for a bug to get out in the AMD bios (rare enough) and get past HP (possible, but unlikely). I presume someone will have thrown a live linux dvd into it at least.

Look for a Bios update from HP, or the motherboard manufacturer. I wouldn't ditch windows yet; you may need it to tidy up stuff for technophobic lecturers who would freak out at an .odt file and you can see how your sweat and toil looks to their eyes.

I would go the install iso dvd route if possible; there is a burner in that thing, isn't there?
Also, if you had a partition on the usb stick, even 1, it may be trying to boot on the partition table which could send it off looking for a home for the bewildered into which to be admitted. The kosher way to do it is
Code:
dd if=some.iso of=/dev/sdX
e.g. /sev/sdb, and not sdb1. Partitions will be overwritten.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
bmacc
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2017
Location: USA(DC) and/or EU(Finland)
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I made the ISO using rufus on the windows system, because the partition table is GPT I made the USB under GPT / UEFI setting, but also tried it with the default MBR for bios or UEFI, both give the same error. I'm familiar with the dd command so I will try that now from my linux system and if that doesn't work I'll try a dvd. I'll post back here if it works, thanks!

Last edited by bmacc; 11-05-2017 at 02:00 PM.
 
Old 11-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
bmacc
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2017
Location: USA(DC) and/or EU(Finland)
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Same error codes, but was able to boot into Xubuntu using a DVD (dd failed). I'll look more into these codes as well as a BIOS update and post back. Now I will try to install on free space and get to boot alongside Windows then use efibootmgr to change boot order. Thank you so much, I never would of thought to use a DVD.

Edit: efibootmgr didnt show Ubuntu and it booted straight to windows. This was easily fixed in the bios and selecting ubuntu first and grub bootloader comes up first. AND THE ERROR CODES ARE GONE!!!!

Last edited by bmacc; 11-05-2017 at 04:49 PM.
 
Old 11-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #5
business_kid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware & Android
Posts: 8,974

Rep: Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930
I don't like the sound of that. Use sudo dd on the usb key - that's pretty unconditional.
 
Old 11-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
bmacc
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2017
Location: USA(DC) and/or EU(Finland)
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Actually there was a problem, soon after I got it installed the error went away and during my first apt-get update / upgrade it hung up and same errors came back with UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY and had to use fsck prior to getting it to boot then killing the hung process. After about 5 times of locking up on me I finally got the update to finish and errors gone (for now). Sorry about not being more specific,but I'm not home right now.
 
Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
business_kid
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware & Android
Posts: 8,974

Rep: Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930Reputation: 930
Sounds ok to me. Glad you're sorted
 
Old 05-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
yousef
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacc View Post
Actually there was a problem, soon after I got it installed the error went away and during my first apt-get update / upgrade it hung up and same errors came back with UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY and had to use fsck prior to getting it to boot then killing the hung process. After about 5 times of locking up on me I finally got the update to finish and errors gone (for now). Sorry about not being more specific,but I'm not home right now.
Hello, I have just bought the same laptop, and I'm having the same error.
I installed Linuxmint two times but in CSM mode not in UEFI, and the laptop just keeps (lock up) several times. When I tried to install Linuxmint in UEFI mode and add "acpi=off" I got the same problem you describe , could you please, clarify how you solved the problem.
 
Old 05-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
bmacc
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2017
Location: USA(DC) and/or EU(Finland)
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousef View Post
Hello, I have just bought the same laptop, and I'm having the same error.
I installed Linuxmint two times but in CSM mode not in UEFI, and the laptop just keeps (lock up) several times. When I tried to install Linuxmint in UEFI mode and add "acpi=off" I got the same problem you describe , could you please, clarify how you solved the problem.
Hey Yousef,

Before I start here, I would like to say I'm writing this from memory and I'm unsure of all details from this time period.

Next thing I will say here is that if you just bought this laptop and still can, I would get a refund! Use the money to buy another which is more Linux friendly. I did get Debian 9 to install and update but eventually returned same firmware errors, but running fsck on the drive in question was only a temporary fix. Same thing with Elementary OS. Oh and btw, the only way I got it to work was to install from DVD and not USB. I checked this off as solved, because at the time it was solved but eventually same errors returned. I just eventually gave up and gave the laptop to my wife with a fresh backup of windows 10, problem solved here for good!

My advice would be to backup windows to a USB(you need a big one) and experiment with wiping everything. Then maybe do a BIOS update. Then try doing a net boot with debian 9 OR maybe Arch if you are up to it OR flavour of your choice. Arch is a highly customize-able distro with a great support system(this is where I've migrated recently!). Windows just complicates everything here, so remove it from the equation until the problem is solved then reinstall if you want.

I wish you the best of luck and please post back if you figure this one out.
 
Old 05-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
yousef
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacc View Post
Hey Yousef,

Before I start here, I would like to say I'm writing this from memory and I'm unsure of all details from this time period.

Next thing I will say here is that if you just bought this laptop and still can, I would get a refund! Use the money to buy another which is more Linux friendly. I did get Debian 9 to install and update but eventually returned same firmware errors, but running fsck on the drive in question was only a temporary fix. Same thing with Elementary OS. Oh and btw, the only way I got it to work was to install from DVD and not USB. I checked this off as solved, because at the time it was solved but eventually same errors returned. I just eventually gave up and gave the laptop to my wife with a fresh backup of windows 10, problem solved here for good!

My advice would be to backup windows to a USB(you need a big one) and experiment with wiping everything. Then maybe do a BIOS update. Then try doing a net boot with debian 9 OR maybe Arch if you are up to it OR flavour of your choice. Arch is a highly customize-able distro with a great support system(this is where I've migrated recently!). Windows just complicates everything here, so remove it from the equation until the problem is solved then reinstall if you want.

I wish you the best of luck and please post back if you figure this one out.
I appreciate your fast response.

I forgot to mention that I updated BIOS to last version -F23 so far-, but in vain. My laptop did not have Windows, only FreeDOS.

Since current solutions are temporary, I hope I'll be able to sell it soon and buy another Linux friendly one.
Thank you again for the fast response, Bmacc.
 
Old 05-15-2018, 04:15 AM   #11
GSivill
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
HP 255 G6 - Issues

Yousef,

I had the same issue with Linux Mint 18.03 Sylvia and the HP 255 G6 and like you it kept freezing up, also whilst in the boot up phase I noticed a lot of ACPI warnings and some garbled screeen images. It would then allow me to log in and then freeze.

I tried various things and none worked so I wiped the disk and installed Ubuntu 18.04 Mate and that has worked like a charm. I left it running overnight last night and it's still up and running this morning and no issues so far.

I didn't install any proprietory drivers on Ubuntu Mate where I did install the AMD Microcode on Mint whether this had any bearing I don't know?

I was reading elsewhere that the reason the latest Ubuntu may work is because the Kernel version in this release is higher and includes different drivers that work better with this laptop??

Siv
 
Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #12
yousef
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSivill View Post
Yousef,

I had the same issue with Linux Mint 18.03 Sylvia and the HP 255 G6 and like you it kept freezing up, also whilst in the boot up phase I noticed a lot of ACPI warnings and some garbled screeen images. It would then allow me to log in and then freeze.

I tried various things and none worked so I wiped the disk and installed Ubuntu 18.04 Mate and that has worked like a charm. I left it running overnight last night and it's still up and running this morning and no issues so far.

I didn't install any proprietory drivers on Ubuntu Mate where I did install the AMD Microcode on Mint whether this had any bearing I don't know?

I was reading elsewhere that the reason the latest Ubuntu may work is because the Kernel version in this release is higher and includes different drivers that work better with this laptop??

Siv

That's great news, I hope you are right.
When I had the laptop, I tried Ubuntu 18.04, but during the boot same ACPI error message appeared.
If you encounter freezing on the distribution, please share . Thanks a lot, sir.
 
Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
GSivill
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousef View Post
That's great news, I hope you are right.
When I had the laptop, I tried Ubuntu 18.04, but during the boot same ACPI error message appeared.
If you encounter freezing on the distribution, please share . Thanks a lot, sir.
I have been running all day today and still no issues at all so I am pretty confident it is stable, I have fully updated it and have been installing applications on it and no issues so far at all.

I have now shut it down and will be delivering it tonight to a client.

I would not be doing that if I wasn't convinced it was stable.

Siv
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #14
Janvanl
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,

2 Questions.
Is it still stable?

When I install Kubuntu 18.04, do you expect it to be more troublesome?

I intend to make it dualboot with win 10, do you expect trouble there?

Kind regards,
Jan
 
Old 07-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
GSivill
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2018
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up HP 255 G6 - Issues

@Janvanl

The client has been running Mate 18.04 since I posted that I was delivering it to her and she has been using it every day since and has reported no issues. The only thing that caused a slight issue was the way the task-bar holds shortcuts (I have had no issues in Mint (I am now on Mint 19) with the way you add shortcuts to the panel, however, the implementation in Mate is a little different and occasionally you end up losing the free space between the icons on the left and the system tray on the right). That said, the O/S has been totally reliable since she has not had any freezing issues at all and she is using the laptop all day every day and really likes it.

I can't speak about Kubuntu directly as I have not used it, but as the core O/S is the same I am sure that you will have no issues. I would try it and see how you go. You could try Mint 19 as it's out now and is based on the same version of Ubuntu so the issues with the older version of Mint should be gone as well.

If you are coming from a Windows environment, Mint 19 with Mate will feel particularly friendly especially if you prefer the Windows 7 style start menu over the new crap menu in Windows 10.

Siv
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is this -> SRC=0.0.0.0 DST=255.255.255.255 LEN=328 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=128 ID carves Linux - Networking 5 08-17-2008 09:26 PM
problem pinging on 255.255.254.0 subnet michaelkelly Linux - Networking 3 06-02-2006 01:59 AM
Logs full of hits to 255.255.255.255; how to stop logging? mac_phil Mandriva 2 02-23-2004 10:25 AM
configuring RH 7 for a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224 CDPL Linux - Networking 2 04-20-2002 09:06 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration