LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #16
pan64
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Location: Hungary
Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...
Posts: 16,482

Rep: Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530Reputation: 5530

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesforever View Post
why people on internet discussion forums never deal with "newbie" posts by simply not responding to them.
Actually this approach is simply wrong, you cannot/must not expect always answer which will solve your issue immediately, just because: it is impossible.
Yes, sometimes the answer is not so nice, or not what OP wanted to hear. But it is/can be still more helpful than nothing.

If you don't want to know the answer do not ask!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
rob.rice
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Distribution: slack what ever
Posts: 1,075

Rep: Reputation: 203Reputation: 203Reputation: 203
You can look else where for questions like how do I brake in

but

you can ask questions here that are black hat related IF and only
IF it's also white hat useful like closing the hole your trying to use

Last edited by rob.rice; 08-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.
 
Old 08-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #18
bsdaemon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2019
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder, CO
Distribution: Slackware 14.2
Posts: 17
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudfl View Post
There's a good one about KALI here ....

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...people-help-me



And :


-
"If you aren't a UNIX pro, go download Puppy."
bsdaemon
 
Old 05-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #19
RonaldLabonte
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2020
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by knudfl View Post
There's a good one about KALI here ....

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...people-help-me



And :


-
Thank you so much!
 
Old 12-09-2020, 02:17 AM   #20
auge
Member
 
Registered: May 2002
Location: Germany
Distribution: CentOS, Debian, LFS
Posts: 100
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Most likely they should install pure debian and because they watched "mr. robot" it sounds more cool to install kali. They didn't even read the information provided by the kali-project itself advising them against using it as a desktop distro.

I think we should deal with any "newbie" and at least give them this hint.
 
Old 12-12-2020, 08:29 AM   #21
newbiesforever
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2006
Distribution: not disclosing my distro
Posts: 2,254

Rep: Reputation: 109Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by auge View Post
Most likely they should install pure debian and because they watched "mr. robot" it sounds more cool to install kali. They didn't even read the information provided by the kali-project itself advising them against using it as a desktop distro.

I think we should deal with any "newbie" and at least give them this hint.
No kidding? I don't know what Mr. Robot is--I guess some television program or movie--but I would rather try and react objectively. I can already see the contempt for newbies here; it's no better and no worse than people ignoring advice not to use a niche distro as a desktop distro, as you say they're doing. There is a reason I chose the name "newbiesforever" many years ago. (Even if the only reason I still use it is because changing usernames is frivolous and I don't want to waste the moderators' time.)

Moreover, I'm sorry that they're misusing a distro due to ignoring advice; but in theory, it could leave them interested in exploring Linux further, leading to their finding an appropriate distro. If they start their Linux experience with an obviously wrong distro...at least they started. And at least their error probably doesn't cause any trouble for others, only themselves.

When I started exploring Linux seventeen years ago, although I did do some research, I nevertheless started with a distro much larger than I really needed--Mandrake (then not yet Mandriva), because I didn't know any better. Stupid newbie, eh?

Last edited by newbiesforever; 12-12-2020 at 08:38 AM.
 
Old 12-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #22
sevendogsbsd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,256

Rep: Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003
Mandrake is not a niche’ distro though. Kali is designed for a single purpose: penetration testing. It is also best used as a VM and not installed. I use it everyday at work because I am a pen tester. I would never use Kali as a daily driver but that’s me.

I think the general frustration comes from people that think Kali is “cool” and then get frustrated installing it or using it for something completely different than it was intended. They post questions here and get push back because they are using the wrong tool for the job. Sure you can learn this way but there are far better tools to learn with if you want to learn Linux.

My .02.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #23
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,484
Blog Entries: 16

Rep: Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251Reputation: 3251
If people want to be (or look like) hackers, maybe we should advise them to use Slackware. I wouldn't normally recommend Slack to a newbie, but it sure is a heck of a lot easier to use than Kali, especially if you do the recommended full install. And it has that cool vibe.
 
Old 12-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #24
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth, unfortunately...
Distribution: Currently: OpenMandriva. Previously: openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, among others over the years.
Posts: 3,869

Rep: Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesforever View Post
No kidding? I don't know what Mr. Robot is--I guess some television program or movie--but I would rather try and react objectively. I can already see the contempt for newbies here; it's no better and no worse than people ignoring advice not to use a niche distro as a desktop distro, as you say they're doing. There is a reason I chose the name "newbiesforever" many years ago. (Even if the only reason I still use it is because changing usernames is frivolous and I don't want to waste the moderators' time.)

Moreover, I'm sorry that they're misusing a distro due to ignoring advice; but in theory, it could leave them interested in exploring Linux further, leading to their finding an appropriate distro. If they start their Linux experience with an obviously wrong distro...at least they started. And at least their error probably doesn't cause any trouble for others, only themselves.

When I started exploring Linux seventeen years ago, although I did do some research, I nevertheless started with a distro much larger than I really needed--Mandrake (then not yet Mandriva), because I didn't know any better. Stupid newbie, eh?
It could also leave them thinking that all distros must be a nightmare to learn and/or use too. Kali's own website clearly states what it's intended for, and that's *NOT* general purposes, full stop, period.

I think you are very misguided.
 
Old 12-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #25
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 19
Posts: 6,309
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166Reputation: 3166
Must not be real popular. Since no one is available to answer questions. I try and answer antiX linux questions in this site myself.

So. Maybe thinking this way is for you.

https://linuxhint.com/best_kali_linux_alternatives/

Good Luck.

Last edited by rokytnji; 12-12-2020 at 11:42 AM.
 
Old 12-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
sevendogsbsd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,256

Rep: Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003
What people don’t really understand either is that Kali is nothing special. It’s a rolling Debian release with hacker tools installed. I use Slackware to hack at home (testing): cli, no desktop, in a VM and install whatever tools I need. Super easy to maintain. You can install the tools you need in ANY distro and learn the tools, which is what hacking is all about; not the distro hosting the tools.

Off soapbox
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #27
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 17,231
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160
^ the only thing that makes Kali "special" is that so many want to use it as their entry level distro for reasons that have nothing to do with F(L)OSS, and nothing with pentesting either (or they would know that our criticism is justified).
And, incidentally, these "Kali noobs" tend to react deliciously to that criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
I like Pentoo best because it's all in Comic Sans!
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #28
berndbausch
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2013
Location: Tokyo
Distribution: Mostly Ubuntu and Centos
Posts: 6,255

Rep: Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979Reputation: 1979
It seems that some IT security courses use Kali. Therefore, it is possible to have a legitimate need to install and configure it even without being a professional pen tester. Let's not jump to the conclusion that newbie Kali users only want to look cool.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #29
sevendogsbsd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2017
Distribution: FreeBSD
Posts: 2,256

Rep: Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003Reputation: 1003
Good point.
 
Old 12-13-2020, 02:55 AM   #30
ondoho
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Posts: 17,231
Blog Entries: 10

Rep: Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160Reputation: 5160
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndbausch View Post
It seems that some IT security courses use Kali. Therefore, it is possible to have a legitimate need to install and configure it even without being a professional pen tester. Let's not jump to the conclusion that newbie Kali users only want to look cool.
Fair enough.
I'm sure those belonging to the first group you mention will tell us, or in any case be less concerned about having a special Kali symbol font in their termnal prompt.
I agree that one should not jump to conclusions.
But in the course of a thread it becomes all too clear all too often that OP does NOT belong to that group, but rather to what I described earlier.

Actually, I think I said all that already in this very thread a couple of years ago...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply

Tags
admin, kali, pen test, slackware, unix, unix-like


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help on kali linux on vmware after update kali sugar dady Linux - Laptop and Netbook 7 11-27-2017 12:44 AM
How to make Kali Linux look like Parrot OS (Configuring how Kali Linux looks) John1243 Linux - Distributions 1 03-21-2016 02:48 AM
Triple-boot Kali 2.0/LXLE 14.04.2/Win7 - USB 3.0 file transfer issues in Kali MX372 Linux - Hardware 4 10-10-2015 07:06 PM
Failed to fetch http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali/Release.gpg aymeric75 Linux - General 2 07-11-2015 05:10 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration