LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
tommyttt
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Federal Way, WA
Distribution: openSUSE 11.4 x86_64, openSuSE 12.1, Fedora 15
Posts: 207

Rep: Reputation: 34
Question How to capture terminal info during install?


Hi all: I do a lot of beta testing on various distros and encounter a problem during initial installs. How does one capture the screen display during installation when an error occurs?

The display usually doesn't stay on long enough to copy the information, even when moving into an error console (such as Alt-F3). Dmesg often doesn't have the install data, especially errors.

Screen capture programs are not up and running at that point. I've tried taking a picture of the screen with a digital camera but the results were not very good.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks, Tom
 
Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyttt View Post
Hi all: I do a lot of beta testing on various distros and encounter a problem during initial installs. How does one capture the screen display during installation when an error occurs?

The display usually doesn't stay on long enough to copy the information, even when moving into an error console (such as Alt-F3). Dmesg often doesn't have the install data, especially errors.

Screen capture programs are not up and running at that point. I've tried taking a picture of the screen with a digital camera but the results were not very good.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks, Tom
Have a look at the serial console HOWTO ... may (or may not)
give you the desired result.


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721Reputation: 721
To put the output of command into file:

Code:
command &> file
The ">" operator puts just the normal output of the command into a file.


The "2>" operator puts just the error output of the command into a file.


The "&>" operator puts all the output of the command into a file.

Last edited by MTK358; 04-13-2010 at 08:36 PM.
 
Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Tinkster
Moderator
 
Registered: Apr 2002
Location: in a fallen world
Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.
Posts: 23,067
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
To put the output of command into file:

Code:
command &> file
The ">" operator puts just the normal output of the command into a file.


The "2>" operator puts just the error output of the command into a file.


The "&>" operator puts all the output of the command into a file.
And just how do you do that to the "init" process that
runs an installation off a linux-cd?


Cheers,
Tink
 
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
tommyttt
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Location: Federal Way, WA
Distribution: openSUSE 11.4 x86_64, openSuSE 12.1, Fedora 15
Posts: 207

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkster View Post
And just how do you do that to the "init" process that
runs an installation off a linux-cd?


Cheers,
Tink
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the serial terminal link. Can't use a terminal directly on this laptop but it may give me some ideas anyway.

Tom
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perl script to capture system info? Zmyrgel Programming 4 04-18-2009 04:30 AM
Capture Callerid info from Vonage on lan irish_rover Linux - Networking 2 04-19-2007 10:11 AM
How can I capture EPG info from a DVB card? sixgunz Linux - Software 2 10-29-2006 04:00 PM
Terminal Program to Capture an image from a Firewire camers naysan Linux - Software 0 05-17-2005 05:41 PM
Terminal capture lapthorn Linux - Security 3 07-11-2004 10:44 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration