LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
wade22
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2019
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
New chromebook lost/deleted linux file after 2 weeks


Hi all, I have tried about 3 forums now with no luck to my problem. But then someone pointed me to y'all, so here goes.

2 week old chromebook running chrome beta with linux. I bought the chromebook only to use the application anki (flashcard program) on. I installed anki 2.1.14 and it worked fine til 2 days ago where anki would no longer open but rather just have a spinning wheel forever. I uninstalled everything, powerwashed chromebook, and reinstalled 2.1.14 (tried with 2.1.18 also) and when I get to the last step "type anki to run" and I do, it gives me the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "runanki", line 3, in <module>
File "/home/dae/Local/py512/lib/python3.6/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 627, in exec_module
File "aqt/__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
File "/home/dae/Local/py512/lib/python3.6/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 627, in exec_module
File "aqt/qt.py", line 16, in <module>
ImportError: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[1449] Failed to execute script runanki


The website is ankiweb. And I used a reddit post for step by step instructions on how to install the file and it worked flawlessly for 2 weeks.
I have no idea how a file could get deleted after just 2 weeks. I don't know how I can restore the missing files. I really did buy the chromebook just for the anki application + ease of light weight travel. If anyone could help me I would be so thankful. Thank you.

Last edited by wade22; 07-21-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: extra info
 
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: FreeBSD/Slackware-14.2+/ArcoLinux
Posts: 9,082

Rep: Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903
I'd do a find on that file just by looking for libGL* in the libs dir and maybe a lib64 if there is one. or the entire system, if not found then look into how to install GL

https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/libGL/

If this is chromebook os, I have no experience in that OS, but the above should still be relevant.
 
Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
wade22
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2019
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
I'd do a find on that file just by looking for libGL* in the libs dir and maybe a lib64 if there is one. or the entire system, if not found then look into how to install GL

https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/libGL/

If this is chromebook os, I have no experience in that OS, but the above should still be relevant.

First off, thank you so much for your time and help. So I did what you said and it got rid of that file error and gave me another lib file I was missing. So I did the same again, and then again with a 3rd lib file. However, now I'm stuck on my 4th lib file... libxcomposite.so.1

I have found packages with that file. I installed them. Yet it keeps saying I'm missing that exact file still. Thoughts?
 
Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: FreeBSD/Slackware-14.2+/ArcoLinux
Posts: 9,082

Rep: Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903
It looks like its needing all of its dependencies re-installed.

you need to know the versions, but do you have a libxcomposite.0 or any thing like that, sometimes all that is done is create a symlink from the lib to reflect the name it is looking for.
Code:
ls -la
in your lib dir you may see some pointing to the same lib by a different name ending. IE in my lib dir here is one.
Code:
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       19 May 23 07:50 p11-kit-proxy.so -> libp11-kit.so.0.3.0
therefore, you can try creating a symlink from the orginal lib file, to the file name it is looking for, in you same lib dir. if it does not work, then just delete the symlink not the file it is linked to.

That is for the ones you know are installed, and correct version, usually the current version. you can try creating a symlink by that lib name it says is missing.

Last edited by BW-userx; 07-21-2019 at 09:27 PM.
 
Old 07-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
wade22
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2019
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
It looks like its needing all of its dependencies re-installed.

you need to know the versions, but do you have a libxcomposite.0 or any thing like that, sometimes all that is done is create a symlink from the lib to reflect the name it is looking for.
Code:
ls -la
in your lib dir you may see some pointing to the same lib by a different name ending. IE in my lib dir here is one.
Code:
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       19 May 23 07:50 p11-kit-proxy.so -> libp11-kit.so.0.3.0
therefore, you can try creating a symlink from the orginal lib file, to the file name it is looking for, in you same lib dir. if it does not work, then just delete the symlink not the file it is linked to.

That is for the ones you know are installed, and correct version, usually the current version. you can try creating a symlink by that lib name it says is missing.

Awesome, I will try this tomorrow. Last question for the night, I promise: If all else fails, since I literally only use this Chromebook for the Anki app and have nothing else saved on it, could I just factory reset my Chromebook and re-install the chrome os? Would this reset all the Linux files? Like I said, the Anki app worked great for 2 weeks, no idea why it randomly stopped.
 
Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: FreeBSD/Slackware-14.2+/ArcoLinux
Posts: 9,082

Rep: Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903
I am not Chromebook savvy, the only thing I looked into about a Chromebook is how easy would it be to wipe it out and install Linux on it. It looked to be too cumbersome compared to a reg laptop. So I just got a reg IBM clone laptop.

Though on the basic restoring of an Operating System, Chromebooks which is some Google Android variation, from what I know. So restoring that is not the same as Linux, so I'd say no Linux/GNU OS or its applications would be restored, just Chromebook's.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
rokytnji
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Location: Waaaaay out West Texas
Distribution: AntiX 17
Posts: 5,822
Blog Entries: 21

Rep: Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900Reputation: 2900
Washing a chromebook is like setting it up before you bought it.

Code:
harry@biker:~
$ inxi -M
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Google product: Parrot v: 1.0 serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: Google model: Parrot v: 1.0 serial: <root required> BIOS: coreboot 
  v: 4.0-6588-g4acd8ea-dirty date: 09/04/2014
Any changes after you bought it. Say bye bye if you wash it. Software wise that is.
 
Old 07-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
wade22
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2019
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
I am not Chromebook savvy, the only thing I looked into about a Chromebook is how easy would it be to wipe it out and install Linux on it. It looked to be too cumbersome compared to a reg laptop. So I just got a reg IBM clone laptop.

Though on the basic restoring of an Operating System, Chromebooks which is some Google Android variation, from what I know. So restoring that is not the same as Linux, so I'd say no Linux/GNU OS or its applications would be restored, just Chromebook's.
I got it to work, thanks to your help! You rock!
 
Old 07-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: FreeBSD/Slackware-14.2+/ArcoLinux
Posts: 9,082

Rep: Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903Reputation: 1903
keew beans , mark solved and happy chromebooking
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: New Open-Source GoodFORM Project, Made by Google 2018 Event Today, Asus Chromebook C423, HP Chromebook x360 14 and KDE Launches Plasm LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-10-2018 06:12 AM
LXer: Here a Chromebook, there a Chromebook, everywhere a Chromebook LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-14-2015 04:42 PM
LXer: New Acer Chromebook Arrives; Faulty HP Chromebook Recalled LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 11-18-2013 08:20 PM
LXer: I used a Samsung Chromebook for two weeks -- here's what I learned LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 01-16-2013 11:49 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration