LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Complete CCNA, CCNP & Red Hat Certification Training Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2004, 05:25 AM   #1
malbery
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian sarge 2.6.8-2-k7
Posts: 60

Rep: Reputation: 15
playing an audio CD


Hi,

I am using KDE and I'm having problems playing an audio CD. The CD Player application reports: "Drive error". CD Player preferences shows CD Player Device as "/dev/cdrom". I think the links are correct (I had to recreate them after moving my CD drive in the IDE chain):

Code:
$ ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root cdrom     8 2004-08-22 11:39 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root cdrom     8 2004-08-22 11:39 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 24, 0 2004-07-22 21:55 /dev/cdu535
I can mount a data CD ok, and play mp3s that way. My fstab entry for the CD is:
Code:
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
CD Player reports the same "Drive error" message when I use it with a data CD mounted.

Any ideas?

PS I am not doing logged in as root to play a CD.

Last edited by malbery; 08-22-2004 at 05:32 AM.
 
Old 08-22-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,591

Rep: Reputation: 96
Re: playing an audio CD

Quote:
Originally posted by malbery
Hi,

I am using KDE and I'm having problems playing an audio CD. The CD Player application reports: "Drive error". CD Player preferences shows CD Player Device as "/dev/cdrom". I think the links are correct (I had to recreate them after moving my CD drive in the IDE chain):

Code:
$ ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root cdrom     8 2004-08-22 11:39 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root cdrom     8 2004-08-22 11:39 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 24, 0 2004-07-22 21:55 /dev/cdu535
I can mount a data CD ok, and play mp3s that way. My fstab entry for the CD is:
Code:
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
CD Player reports the same "Drive error" message when I use it with a data CD mounted.

Any ideas?

PS I am not doing logged in as root to play a CD.
Well the first thing I would do is duplicate the entry you already have for the cdrom in the /etc/fstab and change too /dev/cdrom for the mount point then that will actually exist for things looking for that in the /etc/fstab. Then I would make sure that the /media/cdrom actually points to the /dev/hdc for anything that uses that. The links on my machine are.

Code:
>$ ls -l /dev/cdr*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 11 2004-03-30 22:40 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  9 2004-03-30 22:40 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/scd0
With the link ending up at the /dev/scd0 because I still use ide-scsi emulation for my cdrom/burners.

I would also check with the groups command to make sure that I was a member of the audio and cdrom groups. If not then as root in a console window/at the console use adduser user_name audio and repeat the same for the cdrom if necessary then logout and back in for the change to take effect.

BTW an audio cd player (what are you using anyways) is for audio disks not disks with mp3's on them you have to play them as files. So if this is what you are trying to do then the behavior you are seeing is to be expected.
 
Old 08-23-2004, 05:00 AM   #3
malbery
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian sarge 2.6.8-2-k7
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Re: Re: playing an audio CD

Hi HappyTux,

I went through your list; I updated my fstab:
Code:
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
make sure that the /media/cdrom actually points to the /dev/hdcHow should I move /media/cdrom0? It is a directory:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   13 2004-08-20 17:13 cdrom -> /media/cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 2004-08-20 17:13 cdrom0
Ok, now my links look like yours:
Code:
$ ls -l /dev/cdr*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 11 2004-08-23 11:59 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  8 2004-08-22 11:39 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/hdc
I am in the right groups:
Code:
$ groups
merlyn dialout cdrom floppy audio video
Quote:
BTW an audio cd player (what are you using anyways) is for audio disks not disks with mp3's on them you have to play them as files. So if this is what you are trying to do then the behavior you are seeing is to be expected.
No, I am trying to play an audio CD. Playing mp3s from a mounted data CD is no problem.

Still no change, [i]CD Player[i] displays the "Drive Error" message. Frustrating. I do have some new information though. On startup I get this message before the CD drive is properly identified:
Code:
$ dmesg | grep -A 2 -B 2 hdc
VP_IDE: VIA vt8235 (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on pci0000:00:11.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: SAMSUNG SP1604N, ATA DISK drive
Using anticipatory io scheduler
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hdc: no response (status = 0x80), resetting drive
hdc: LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5238S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: Maxtor 6Y120L0, ATA DISK drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
--
EXT3 FS on hda8, internal journal
Generic RTC Driver v1.07
hdc: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM CD-R/RW CD-MRW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
Does that help in any way?

Last edited by malbery; 08-23-2004 at 05:14 AM.
 
Old 08-23-2004, 09:44 AM   #4
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,591

Rep: Reputation: 96
This part here is a little strange hdc: no response (status = 0x80), resetting drive in the boot messages it should not be doing that did you have a cd in the drive when booting. Lets try this install the cdtool package then use cdplay in a console window to confirm that the cd will play from the command line if this is so then there is something wrong with the package you are using for playing graphically. You of course use cdstop to stop playing the cd.
 
Old 08-23-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
malbery
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian sarge 2.6.8-2-k7
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
That's one friendly command-line application:

Code:
$ cdplay
cdplay: can't open cdrom (/dev/cdrom)
cdplay: error opening /dev/cdrom
/dev/cdrom is owned by group "disk"
Try, as root: chgrp --dereference cdrom /dev/cdrom
cdplay:  CD status is no_disc
$ su
Password:
$ chgrp --dereference cdrom /dev/cdrom
$ exit
exit
$ cdplay
That was it. Thanks! (That's 3 of my problems that you've fixed already. Much appreciated!)

I caused this problem by moving my cdrom drive to a different IDE chain. Is there anything in Debian that tracks that for you?

I get that hdc: no response (status = 0x80), resetting drive message with or without a CD in the drive. It is a little annoying because it does add 5-10 seconds to my boot time. But I can live with it for the time being.

Last edited by malbery; 08-23-2004 at 10:22 AM.
 
Old 08-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,591

Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally posted by malbery
That's one friendly command-line application:

Code:
$ cdplay
cdplay: can't open cdrom (/dev/cdrom)
cdplay: error opening /dev/cdrom
/dev/cdrom is owned by group "disk"
Try, as root: chgrp --dereference cdrom /dev/cdrom
cdplay:  CD status is no_disc
$ su
Password:
$ chgrp --dereference cdrom /dev/cdrom
$ exit
exit
$ cdplay
That was it. Thanks! (That's 3 of my problems that you've fixed already. Much appreciated!)


You welcome, most times it always best to go back to the command line them fancy graphics tell you nothing about what is really happening.

Quote:
I caused this problem by moving my cdrom drive to a different IDE chain. Is there anything in Debian that tracks that for you?
No you the administrator of the system are expected to make the proper changes to the system when you move things around. Now if you had been using ide-scsi like I am then you could safely moved the disk as long as you did not put it on the system with another cdrom in between, it would still have for me been detected as scd0 the first cd device using ide-scsi so the link would have worked, it is not the same when using the /dev/hd?.

Quote:
I get that hdc: no response (status = 0x80), resetting drive message with or without a CD in the drive. It is a little annoying because it does add 5-10 seconds to my boot time. But I can live with it for the time being.
That sucks almost sounds like the drive is getting ready to die off on you then.
 
Old 08-23-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
malbery
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian sarge 2.6.8-2-k7
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
That sucks almost sounds like the drive is getting ready to die off on you then.
I hope not, it's brand new!

Quote:
No you the administrator of the system are expected to make the proper changes to the system when you move things around. Now if you had been using ide-scsi like I am then you could safely moved the disk as long as you did not put it on the system with another cdrom in between, it would still have for me been detected as scd0 the first cd device using ide-scsi so the link would have worked, it is not the same when using the /dev/hd?.
This CD drive I also intend to use as a CD burner. From what I've read elsewhere it appears that I will need to setup this ide-scsi anyway. Is that correct?
 
Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,591

Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally posted by malbery
I hope not, it's brand new!
It may just something strange the system does not like about the drive but a message telling you it is resetting it all the time is not a good sign.

Quote:
This CD drive I also intend to use as a CD burner. From what I've read elsewhere it appears that I will need to setup this ide-scsi anyway. Is that correct? [/B]
Not really I believe you are using a 2.6 kernel are you not if so the try cdrecord -dev:ATA -scanbus and it should find the burner.

Code:
[HappyTux:/home/stephen]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

Linux sg driver version: 3.5.31
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4040B' 'A104' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
Now this show what it looks like with ide-scsi but the principle is the same you get the number in my case 0,0,0 then if I want to record something from the command line then cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=8 dev=0,0,0 some.iso you would just change to dev=ATA:0,0,0 and the number(s) if it differs and programs like K3b should be able to find the burner using the ATA instead of ide-scsi without problems.
 
Old 08-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
malbery
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian sarge 2.6.8-2-k7
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Yes, I am using kernel 2.6. Straight off the bat, cdrecord doesn't see it. I'll have a proper look at it later. Thanks for the help.

Code:
$ cdrecord -dev:ATA -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

scsidev: ':ATA'
devname: ':ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open ':ATA'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
 
Old 08-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 3,591

Rep: Reputation: 96
Typo, try dev=ATA in the line.
 
Old 08-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #11
malbery
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Distribution: Debian sarge 2.6.8-2-k7
Posts: 60

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Great HappyTux, that looks promising:
Code:
...
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'LITE-ON ' 'CD-RW SOHR-5238S' '4S03' Removable CD-ROM
...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
playing audio cd 5.1 alizta Linux - General 2 10-25-2004 03:20 AM
Help with playing audio CD... Dickey Peterson Linux - Newbie 5 01-13-2004 09:04 AM
Playing an Audio CD natesch Linux - Newbie 15 08-31-2003 04:30 PM
Playing an audio CD fredws Linux - General 2 03-18-2003 03:56 PM
Audio CD not playing Relja Linux - General 6 01-22-2003 05:31 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration