LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Question Backport kernel being held back on Buster


Hi.

I see this:

Code:
The following packages have been kept back: linux-image-amd64
when I run:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
I'm stuck on kernel, 5.4.0-0.bpo.4-amd64. Can this be solved?

I have a virtual machine instance of Buster and it's on kernel, 5.6.0.0.bpo.2-amd64. It get's no 'kept back' warning when I update it.

Thanks.

Last edited by linustalman; 08-02-2020 at 12:13 PM.
 
Old 08-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,984
Blog Entries: 16

Rep: Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540
"Kept back" usually means that installing it will require something else to be removed, probably the kernel that preceded your current one. apt upgrade will install extra packages when required but it won't uninstall anything. You could try looking at it in synaptic, which tells you if it wants to remove something.

Last edited by hazel; 08-02-2020 at 12:47 PM.
 
Old 08-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
"Kept back" usually means that installing it will require something else to be removed, probably the kernel that preceded your current one. apt upgrade will install extra packages when required but it won't uninstall anything. You could try looking at it in synaptic, which tells you if it wants to remove something.
Hi hazel.

I click upgrade on the linux-image-amd64 package and it turns red [see image]. Also, this was in a message box:

Code:
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Unable to lock the list directory
I wonder if this issue will resolve itself in time - i.e. with a newer kernel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-02_17-55-52.png
Views:	16
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	33783  
 
Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 5,984
Blog Entries: 16

Rep: Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540Reputation: 3540
Then the problem is not what I thought it was. Your apt database is broken. Someone else will have to help you fix it.
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
Then the problem is not what I thought it was. Your apt database is broken. Someone else will have to help you fix it.
Ok, thanks anyway, hazel.
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
shruggy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 3,354

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Often, dpkg -C will show commands needed to recover.

Another option is aptitude why linux-image-amd64
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
Often, dpkg -C will show commands needed to recover.

Another option is aptitude why linux-image-amd64
Hi shruggy.

For dpkg -C and sudo dpkg -C - there was no output.

I had to install aptitude as I always use apt instead.

Here's the output:

Code:
sudo aptitude why linux-image-amd64
Code:
i   exfalso         Suggests   brasero | k3b | xfburn   
p   brasero         Suggests   libdvdcss2               
p   libdvd-pkg      Provides   libdvdcss2               
p   libdvd-pkg      Depends    wget | devscripts        
p   devscripts      Suggests   diffoscope               
p   diffoscope      Recommends python3-guestfs          
p   python3-guestfs Depends    libguestfs0 (>= 1:1.39.8)
p   libguestfs0     Depends    supermin (>= 5)          
p   supermin        Recommends linux-image-amd64
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
HappyTux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: Debian AMD64
Posts: 4,170

Rep: Reputation: 244Reputation: 244Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by linustalman View Post
Hi.

I see this:

Code:
The following packages have been kept back: linux-image-amd64
when I run:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
I'm stuck on kernel, 5.4.0-0.bpo.4-amd64. Can this be solved?

I have a virtual machine instance of Buster and it's on kernel, 5.6.0.0.bpo.2-amd64. It get's no 'kept back' warning when I update it.

Thanks.
I had that a few days ago try apt -s install linux-image-amd64 to simulate installing just the image package. It should then try to install the packages needed in addition to one mentioned, or it did on my system, remove the -s to install. Make sure to do another update before trying to install and hopefully it want to update grub as well so it does not install the packages of it that will brick the system.

Code:
@haswell:~$ apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64
linux-image-amd64:
  Installed: 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1
  Candidate: 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1
  Version table:
 *** 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1 100
        100 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.19+105+deb10u5 500
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
shruggy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 3,354

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
@OP. Then I don't see any problems. Have you tried sudo apt full-upgrade?

Last edited by shruggy; 08-03-2020 at 07:43 AM.
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #10
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
@OP. Then I don't see any problems. Have you tried sudo apt full-upgrade?
Yes, tried that a while back.

Code:
sudo apt full-upgrade
Code:
[sudo] password for XYZ:            
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  linux-image-amd64
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #11
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTux View Post
I had that a few days ago try apt -s install linux-image-amd64 to simulate installing just the image package. It should then try to install the packages needed in addition to one mentioned, or it did on my system, remove the -s to install. Make sure to do another update before trying to install and hopefully it want to update grub as well so it does not install the packages of it that will brick the system.

Code:
@haswell:~$ apt-cache policy linux-image-amd64
linux-image-amd64:
  Installed: 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1
  Candidate: 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1
  Version table:
 *** 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1 100
        100 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.19+105+deb10u5 500
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
Hi HT. No joy.

Code:
sudo apt -s install linux-image-amd64
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linux-image-amd64 : Depends: linux-image-5.6.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (= 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:53 AM   #12
shruggy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 3,354

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Then try
Code:
sudo apt -t buster-backports upgrade

Last edited by shruggy; 08-03-2020 at 07:58 AM.
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #13
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
Then try
Code:
sudo apt -t 5.6\* upgrade
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
E: The value '5.6*' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #14
shruggy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2020
Posts: 3,354

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ah, sorry. I don't know what release is it for backports. apt policy linux-image-amd64 should show it. I updated my previous post, but this is only a guess.
 
Old 08-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
linustalman
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2010
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Debian 11 (Bullseye) x64
Posts: 4,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by shruggy View Post
Ah, sorry. I don't know what release is it for backports. apt policy linux-image-amd64 should show it. I updated my previous post, but this is only a guess.
No problem.

Code:
linux-image-amd64:
  Installed: 5.4.19-1~bpo10+1
  Candidate: 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1
  Version table:
     5.6.14-2~bpo10+1 100
        100 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-backports/main amd64 Packages
 *** 5.4.19-1~bpo10+1 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4.19+105+deb10u5 500
        500 http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
 
  


Reply

Tags
buster, debian 10, kernel kept back


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] After upgrade to Jessie, db5.1-util is being held back erik2282 Debian 11 04-21-2015 08:57 PM
Kubuntu not detecting keyboard keys being held down reledi Linux - Newbie 2 12-05-2009 03:18 PM
Aptitude -- Packages being held back snuffy115 Debian 2 02-19-2007 01:18 AM
Reason for packages being held back Whitman Debian 7 07-23-2004 07:54 PM
My Files Are Being Held Hostage!! biggsjm Linux - Networking 2 10-12-2003 06:14 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration