LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
FilipVi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2020
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Slow Wi-Fi with weak range


Hi, after I updated bodhi linux I have some problem with wireless connection speed and range. The Wifi stops working, when the notebook is more than 2 meters from the router and the speed anywhere is painfuly slow.
I added some information here: https://pastebin.com/KGf8VbX5 and thank you for any help.
 
Old 07-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
cordx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Location: texas
Distribution: bodhi 5.1.0
Posts: 696

Rep: Reputation: 158Reputation: 158
i don't see any network adapter listed there. can you run lspci -v | grep -iA6 network and post the output here? if nothing is listed, you might try sudo lshw -C network.

the inxi output was a good idea, but f is mostly cpu info whereas F will provide lots more system specs that may be helpful. if you could run it again with inxi -Fxz that would be appreciated. you can post the info here. it is a little easier to read it on one page than switching between tabs if there is a lot of info like with your original lspci output, you can click the "Go Advanced" button below the typing input box and then enclose that output in code tags (represented by the # button in the toolbar at top) to make it a little more manageable.
 
Old 07-21-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
Kiezel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2020
Posts: 106

Rep: Reputation: 86
Like cordx said: please provide the output of:
Code:
inxi -Fxz
With a capital F.

And also the output of:
Code:
rfkill list all
and:
Code:
iwconfig

Last edited by Kiezel; 07-21-2020 at 03:37 AM.
 
Old 07-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
FilipVi
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2020
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
lspci -v | grep -iA6 network - nothing listed

sudo lshw -C network:
Code:
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 1
       bus info: usb@1:7
       logical name: wlx88835db9aaaa
       serial: 88:83:5d:b9:aa:aa
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8xxxu driverversion=4.15.0-88-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.115 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
inxi -Fxz:
Code:
System:    Host: bohdi-VisionBook Kernel: 4.15.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.0
           Desktop: Enlightenment 0.3.1.16441 Distro: Bodhi Linux 5.1.0
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Umax Czech a.s product: VisionBook 13Wa serial: N/A
           Mobo: iBall model: Marvel 6 serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: LC-BI-13.3-Y116AR120-376-F date: 06/02/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N3350 (-MCP-) arch: N/A cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 4377
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 2210 MHz 2: 1996 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5a85 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@59.93hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 500 (APL 2) version: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:0e.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-88-generic
Network:   Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1 model: N/A size: 31.3GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 5.1G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk1p2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 130 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 685.2/2770.1MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.5.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56
rfkill list all:
Code:
0: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
iwconfig:
Code:
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlx88835db9aaaa  IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"Zemanovi"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 34:2C:C4:34:49:D7
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=44/70  Signal level=-66 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:4371   Missed beacon:0

The range seems better after I tried reinstalling something and rebooting twice, but I still have that feeling that I am making some very obvious mistake.
 
Old 07-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #5
cordx
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Location: texas
Distribution: bodhi 5.1.0
Posts: 696

Rep: Reputation: 158Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipVi View Post
lspci -v | grep -iA6 network - nothing listed
that makes sense as you are using a usb adapter. i hadn't considered that option
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipVi View Post
The range seems better after I tried reinstalling something and rebooting twice
i'm taking this bit out of the order you typed it to check and see if you mean that things are ok now. is it back to working correctly as you had wanted?

i will add a few more comments and suggestions in case it is not, but wait for your reply before adding too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipVi View Post
I still have that feeling that I am making some very obvious mistake.
i don't believe that is true. the output you have shared indicates that for whatever reason bodhi is not recognizing enough specific details about your wifi adapter to do a very good job of using it. i will bold some parts that indicate such:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipVi View Post
sudo lshw -C network:

Code:
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 1
       bus info: usb@1:7
       logical name: wlx88835db9aaaa
       serial: 88:83:5d:b9:aa:aa
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8xxxu driverversion=4.15.0-88-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.115 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
inxi -Fxz:
Code:
System:    Host: bohdi-VisionBook Kernel: 4.15.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.0
           Desktop: Enlightenment 0.3.1.16441 Distro: Bodhi Linux 5.1.0
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Umax Czech a.s product: VisionBook 13Wa serial: N/A
           Mobo: iBall model: Marvel 6 serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: LC-BI-13.3-Y116AR120-376-F date: 06/02/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N3350 (-MCP-) arch: N/A cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 4377
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 2210 MHz 2: 1996 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5a85 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@59.93hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 500 (APL 2) version: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:0e.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-88-generic
Network:   Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: /dev/mmcblk1 model: N/A size: 31.3GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 5.1G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk1p2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 130 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 685.2/2770.1MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.5.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56
rfkill list all:
Code:
0: hci0: Bluetooth
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
iwconfig:
Code:
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlx88835db9aaaa  IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"Zemanovi"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 34:2C:C4:34:49:D7
          Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=44/70  Signal level=-66 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:4371   Missed beacon:0
since the system is having a hard time identifying your adapter, can you post the make and model to see if there is a way to identify a possible driver for it?

one command that can manually check to see if it can find available drivers that might be helpful for your system is ubuntu-drivers devices. if you are still having trouble, you might start with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipVi View Post
Hi, after I updated bodhi linux I have some problem with wireless connection speed and range.
it may help to know what kind of update this was. just a regular apt update and upgrade or something different?

again, i will wait to see if you are looking for more help before adding more suggestions
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bash script to ping a range or own IP-range ugurgazi Programming 13 05-02-2016 09:08 AM
[SOLVED] iptables port forward not working for port range mapping to anohter Port range in Linux 2.6.39 kinghong66 Linux - Networking 2 06-17-2015 07:17 PM
Gnuplot - Combining a linear range and log-scale range in the same X-axis llauro Linux - Software 2 04-26-2011 12:55 PM
Weak signal and slow speed with Realtek RTL8185 mawkernewek Linux - Wireless Networking 30 02-03-2010 05:06 AM
[SOLVED] What are short range link and long range links in routing? mq15 Linux - Networking 6 06-26-2009 11:16 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration