LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Blogs > Musings on technology, philosophy, and life in the corporate world
User Name
Password

Notices

Hi. I'm a Unix Administrator, mathematics enthusiast, and amateur philosopher. This is where I rant about that which upsets me, laugh about that which amuses me, and jabber about that which holds my interest most: Unix.
  1. Old Comment

    DNS fun

    Ended up dropping nsd, as I don't really need CNAMES and such...just basic A records and PTRs. I'm running my static local data in unbound, which has limited authoritative capabilities. Really nice for a SOHO-type setup.

    The only hurdle I haven't solved is zone-based responses (i.e. if a machine on vlan1103 asks for the ip of fw.j3z.local (my local domain), it will get back the same ip as a machine on vlan2102. I could either let them all hit the firewall on the same (probably management) IP, or better yet I could define the "management" IP of the firewall and allow traffic only from trusted vlans to hit that IP.

    Still, seems hackish. Perhaps nsd will gain split horizon capabilities to provide views as such, but until then I suppose I'll limit the firewall to a single management and access that cross-vlan. Meh.
    Posted Yesterday at 06:50 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  2. Old Comment

    icanhazmathz?

    2^10 is a much bigger keyspace than 10^2, or more generally, X^Y > Y^X for X < Y.

    In short, passphrase length gives more keyspace than passphrase complexity, so if given a choice between a long passphrase of [a-z] or a short passphrase of [a-zA-Z0-9], it's best to choose the longer, simpler passphrase...so I'd have to agree with your choice of "book indexing" of passphrases (a technique I've used before, too...it's a great one!).
    Posted 07-01-2014 at 10:01 AM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  3. Old Comment

    icanhazmathz?

    Interesting.
    For my WPA2 passphrase, I grabbed one of my books, opened a random page, looked for a unique/memorable sentence, changed some letters to upper-case, wrote it on a cigarette paper, memorized it and then burnt the paper. So you'd have to know the book, the page, and the sentence. I've got quite a lot of books: fiction and non-fiction, several genres and subjects. How, excluding torture, would you crack that?
    P.S.
    It's not something I've ever quoted on LQ.
    Posted 07-01-2014 at 06:16 AM by brianL brianL is offline
    Updated 07-01-2014 at 06:28 AM by brianL
  4. Old Comment

    blinky blinky blinky

    My sole reasoning for selecting the BBB is that the rPi isn't OpenBSD-friendly (GPU driver is not open source). I'm considering getting an Arduino as well, but I haven't yet. It's definitely fun stuff =)
    Posted 05-15-2014 at 01:32 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  5. Old Comment

    blinky blinky blinky

    I'm tempted to get a BeagleBone Black. I've got two Raspberry Pis, and an Arduino Uno. Plus a breadboard, wires, and assorted electronic doodahs. Haven't done anything useful with them yet, though.
    Posted 05-15-2014 at 05:36 AM by brianL brianL is offline
  6. Old Comment

    A (sad) tale of ISPs in the USA

    Randicus, that is insane. I wish you all the best in your hunt.

    Vmccord, I envy you =P
    Posted 04-18-2014 at 08:59 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  7. Old Comment

    A (sad) tale of ISPs in the USA

    KC has Google Fiber. It's pretty cool.
    Posted 04-15-2014 at 09:17 AM by vmccord vmccord is offline
  8. Old Comment

    A (sad) tale of ISPs in the USA

    You have it easy. I do not have an internet connection in my home, because the university (I live on campus.) manages the local network with censorship software that will only allow Windows to use the network. I must take my computer to a cafe in order to use the internet. I wish I had it as good as you do. (And yes. I shall not stay at this job very long.)
    Posted 04-14-2014 at 09:52 PM by Randicus Draco Albus Randicus Draco Albus is offline
  9. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Alex
    I have nothing to say to you on this one because if you really think it is so, it is beyond any possibility to explain it to you.
    Perhaps you should open your eyes to the fact that not everyone holds your beliefs true. But I *have* been making that point, so I suppose I should throw my hands up in the air and declare this exchange a complete waste of time as you've suggested.

    Unlike your rigid belief structure, I am not required to shove my beliefs down other's throats, so this will be my last update here.

    Post again as you see fit. You only embarrass yourself.
    Posted 11-16-2013 at 07:04 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  10. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    We no longer believe that someone with "mental illness" is possessed by a demon...
    Sometimes they are.

    Demons and satan exist. Angels exist. And you can't really prove their existance like you would prove a mathematical theorem, but you also cannot prove otherwise. If you don't believe angels and demons exist, that doesn't mean you don't have faith. You have it. You believe they don't exist just like I believe (actually know) they exist. And atheism is also a religion.

    Also, you probably (most likely) think that those believing in angels' and demons' existance are dark outdated people living in a Stone Age who don't know it's 21'st century outside. It is not so because a lot of modern scientists scientists of 20'th and 21'st centuries are/were religious and believe(d) in God. Some of them are/were Christians. That means that even if you are extremely modern and "advanced" dude, doing science and making new scientific researches and discoveries, you can have Christian faith just like a dark man from, say, ninth century. That is because science and religion don't intersect with each other. (Actually they do but the way they do it will be difficult to explain and not everyone will accept it. You have to really know Christianity deeply to see that science and psychology actually proves Christianity's rightness.) What kills faith though are sins not science. Again, telling you this from Christian asceticism (it's a Christian science). It is not computer science, or physics, or chemistry, or biology that kills faith. No matter how strange it may sound to some people, when one does sins (any sins), he loses ability to believe in God. The better a person is, the easier it is for him/her to have faith in God. So "advancing" in atheism actually means going futher into vices and sins, which damages human's soul and makes this human closer to demons. It is not modernity that laughs at this (because, as I said, modern scientists also have faith in God), it is immorality.
    Posted 11-16-2013 at 09:48 AM by Mr. Alex Mr. Alex is offline
  11. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    Yes, it shows that we have advanced as a race.
    Mental illness is an advantage? I have nothing to say to you on this one because if you really think it is so, it is beyond any possibility to explain it to you.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    All sin causes us to lose touch with God, right?
    Right. That means also losing touch with reality, losing sanity, losing understanding of right and wrong, good and evil, losing morals and human face. Losing touch with God leads to death. Mental death at first and physical second. Mental illness is a result of sins, thus a result of going away from God and losing touch with Him. And you call it "advancing".

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    If that statement holds true, then doesn't it follow that you should love your fellow man regardless of whatever hangups he/she is tangled up with? ... Hate the sin, love the sinner, right?
    Yes, you should love your fellow people regardless of what they're doing. And you should hate the sin. "Hate speech" towards sin is mandatory.
    Posted 11-16-2013 at 05:21 AM by Mr. Alex Mr. Alex is offline
  12. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Alex
    If it was a mental sickness 400 years ago, why is it a normal thing today? And in general, why some things that were sick back then are normal now? Doesn't it show something about today's us?
    Yes, it shows that we have advanced as a race. We no longer believe that someone with "mental illness" is possessed by a demon and burn them at the stake for being so.

    All sin causes us to lose touch with God, right? If that statement holds true, then doesn't it follow that you should love your fellow man regardless of whatever hangups he/she is tangled up with? I know plenty of alcoholics and drug addicts and though I disagree with their chosen lifestyle I love them as human beings all the same. Hate the sin, love the sinner, right? AND I DO pull them aside and voice my thoughts on their chosen lifestyle...then allow them to say "#$&%^ you, jerk...I don't want to hear another word out of you on that!" and I respect their wishes. I refuse to become the preacher on the street corner that no one listens to because their engrained sense of righteousness entitles them to demand others bend to their own beliefs. And if they come to me later on and say "hey, let's talk about this", I'm more than happy to stop what I'm doing and discuss it with them.

    I have agreed with you that I do not personally think certain lifestyles are normal, but I refuse to hate the individuals who choose to live that way. And I hold fast to my stance that it is none of my business telling people how to live. That is between them and God...I have no say in the topic. I may voice an opinion, but it is the *sinner's* responsibility to get their life right.
    Posted 11-16-2013 at 02:21 AM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  13. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    You cannot simply levy laws against *potential* issues because something *might* happen. If that were the case, claw hammers would be illegal, as well as ink pens, any manner of rope, apples, computers, air, etc... What a sad world we would live in.

    If my neighbor owns a gun, I do not care...
    You concentrate on material things. Owning a pen, a hammer or a gun is not a problem nor it is a possible threat to others. Because then you'll have to say that bare hands are also a threat. My main point was about immaterial things. For instance a TV. Owning a gun and learning to use it does not make you dangerous. Watching a TV, however, does. Because things shown on TV inject dangerous ideas into your mind and heart, especially if you start watching TV in a very young age. And then a gun in your hand becomes dangerous, but only because of things TV has shown you. That's why I gave you drugs example. You can't really harm people with drugs physically, like hitting them holding some drug in your hand like you would do it with a hammer. But taking drugs makes you immoral and this leads to harming other people with any tool you can find. And things like TV, bad music, foul mainstream culture, fake foul theories make you immoral just like drugs. All sins do it to people. So when I say “Your position of ‘it is NOT my place to judge how someone else chooses to live their own life’ is wrong. Everyone should care about how their fellow compatriots live their lives”, I'm not talking you should care about your neighbor having a pistol, but about your neighbor watching a TV and listening to immoral, foul music. About your neighbor drinking too much alcohol. About your neighbor's general immoral habits and behaviour. About your government forcing your compatriots to behave immorally and protecting immoral manners along with prohibiting righteousness. I'll also put “gender thories” here because these thories are mind damaging. And so on...

    To specify sexes: man is always a man and should feel and see himself as a man, just like it has always been in history. Woman is always a woman since she was born a woman. And there's no way a mentally healthy woman can feel as a man or any other “gender”. In fact, “genders” don't exist. And have never existed. No “roles” of sexes existed because “roles” make you think it's some kind of a game. Like a couple is playing a game and woman plays a role of oppression victim and a man is playing a role of tyrant. No, it's just how it always were and how it should be in normal healthy people — and it's not called “oppression”, “victim” or “tyranny”. And when a guy thinks that maybe he is a female by “gender”, that's waaaaay worse than a game.

    Just imagine. Say, 400 years ago, some country in Europe. Let's take Germany or Spain. Some young guy starts to say to his friends that he is not a man, but rather a woman in a man's body and tells them to treat him like a woman because he doesn't want to play this “man role”. Just imagine that! What would happen? I'm sure at first they'll just laugh and say it's a very silly joke. But if the guy continues to insist, they'd probably place him to hospital (of that time) for mentally sick. But noone seems to think about the question: has anything in our nature actually changed since then? We're just like we've been 400 years ago — men are men and women are women. But WHY do we now have “gender theories”? If it was a mental sickness 400 years ago, why is it a normal thing today? And in general, why some things that were sick back then are normal now? Doesn't it show something about today's us?
    Posted 11-15-2013 at 07:28 AM by Mr. Alex Mr. Alex is offline
    Updated 11-15-2013 at 11:44 AM by Mr. Alex
  14. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Alex View Comment
    So your position of “it is NOT my place to judge how someone else chooses to live their own life” is wrong. Everyone should care about how their fellow compatriots live their lives.
    I didn't say I agreed with the government's assessment of the danger of drugs =)

    I believe that people are, for most cases, grown up and capable of making rational decisions. Sure, a drunk driver is a serious threat to other people...and so the government has levied laws to regulate drunk driving (below a certain blood-alcohol content, it is acceptable). Having a few too many and walking home, however, poses much less threat and even though it may carry *personal* legal liability, it is quite a bit less likely to result in an inter-personal issue (and if it does *then* it is an issue, but not before).

    You cannot simply levy laws against *potential* issues because something *might* happen. If that were the case, claw hammers would be illegal, as well as ink pens, any manner of rope, apples, computers, air, etc... What a sad world we would live in.

    If my neighbor owns a gun, I do not care. If he uses said gun to break into my house, he will meet his end at the hands of my gun...and the law here will not care one bit that I defended myself or that I continue to own a gun, even though I have proven that I am willing to take another human's life. Think about that. Context is important...and it's the portion you are overlooking.
    Posted 11-10-2013 at 10:48 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
    Updated 11-10-2013 at 10:54 PM by rocket357
  15. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    Ok, I'll bite. It's illegal to manufacture and consume drugs because a group of politicians decided it should be illegal. The reasoning behind making that decision is probably something along the lines of "statistically, people who consume drugs commit crimes to support their habit" or some-such. I don't know, so really, I'm curious to hear your theory.
    That was about what I wanted to read you say. Now, you said “but I also realize it is NOT my place to judge how someone else chooses to live their own life”. And you conclude that government understands that if someone does something harmful to only himself (at first), sooner or later he will harm other people. So not caring how others live their own lifes is potentionally dangerous to you. And your family, because they are also people, like you, living close to where you live. So your position of “it is NOT my place to judge how someone else chooses to live their own life” is wrong. Everyone should care about how their fellow compatriots live their lives.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    Then we'll deal with alcohol.
    Same thing here except only govt doesn't regulate it as it should. You would say “it is NOT my place to care how much alcohol people around me consume, it's their own lives, not my business” and you'll think you're so right and so correct but if you think a bit further you'll realize that drunk people (for lives of whom you don't care) might harm you or your family when intoxicated. So you either care for both — others and your family — or for none. Third option seems very illogical.

    But those are just drugs and alcohol. Very crude cases/examples. There are wa-a-a-ay more subtle sins. But they all lead to the same consequences — harming people. And the only right attitude towards other people's lives is to be concerned.
    Posted 11-10-2013 at 06:29 AM by Mr. Alex Mr. Alex is offline
    Updated 11-10-2013 at 10:17 AM by Mr. Alex
  16. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graybeard19
    the idiots are in power and we cant do much about it but vote.
    Well said.
    Posted 11-06-2013 at 06:43 PM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  17. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    finally found a subject I am uniquely qualified to address. I am 60, have MS, and other health problems, disabled and an old hippy.Herb has been a green medicine for health matters for centuries if not thousands of yrs for humanity. In the early 1900's things changed, there is an awful lot of money to be made producing alcohol, taxes to be made from its sale and manufacture. AND you cannot grow a qt of whiskey in your back yard and avoid taxes, but you can with some Northern Lights! Herb is a much much better pain reliever than opiates. I know. Opiates are very extremely addicting, smoke, well, is not. Here in Missouri there were recently 2 bills HB688, and HB512 which were for the medicinal usage without penalty. The speaker of the house put the k bosh on that, no vote. As long as we have politicians with straw for brains we will have high taxes, nobomacare, no decriminalization of medicinal marijuana....lets face it...the idiots are in power and we cant do much about it but vote.
    Posted 11-06-2013 at 06:38 PM by graybeard19 graybeard19 is offline
  18. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Holy cow. One busy day and I'm totally out of the loop.

    1. "Say, a man is learning martial arts and shooting heavy weapons. Just 'cause he likes it. Is it expression of sex or “gender”?"
    Doing these things is an expression of cultural values of masculinity, therefore, it is an expression of gender.

    2. I'm going to go out onto a limb and guess by your spelling that you are not American. (Realise was the tell. American English spells it with a 'z'. We also put periods and commas inside quotations, but I think the British way makes more sense.) That said, Americans did make alcohol illegal during the early part of the 20th century. The cultural norm shifted such that more than 50% of Americans thought alcohol was too dangerous and imposed their will on the remaining percentage. Tobacco may one day go the same way. The governing powers who represent the majority of Americans will make tobacco illegal. And just to demonstrate that cultural values make absolutely no sense sometimes, marijuana will become legal even though the smoke from it is just as dangerous as the smoke from tobacco.

    3. There are biological differences between males and females beyond the obvious presence of reproductive organs. Before I had kids I would have argued that the psychological differences between men and women were a result of gender (meaning cultural formation) and not sex (meaning the physical differences). I am not quite as positive now, but as rocket357 said, I'd rather let my kids explore the options available rather than steer them.

    4. Or perhaps I should just let you menfolk wax philosophically for a while while I run into the kitchen and make y'all a snack. (Or not. This code isn't going to cut itself, you know.)
    Posted 11-06-2013 at 02:14 PM by vmccord vmccord is offline
    Updated 11-07-2013 at 10:34 AM by vmccord (fix punctuation error)
  19. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Alex
    Let's first answer the question about drugs: why is it illegal to grow, cook and take drugs if you only do it to yourself?
    Ok, I'll bite. It's illegal to manufacture and consume drugs because a group of politicians decided it should be illegal. The reasoning behind making that decision is probably something along the lines of "statistically, people who consume drugs commit crimes to support their habit" or some-such. I don't know, so really, I'm curious to hear your theory. Then we'll deal with alcohol.
    Posted 11-06-2013 at 09:45 AM by rocket357 rocket357 is offline
  20. Old Comment

    Keeping an open mind (Non-technical)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    You are, by definition, enforcing gender roles if these statements are true.
    OK then.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocket357
    Alcohol kills more innocent bystanders (drunk drivers, for instance) every year than illegal drugs. Why is alcohol legal?
    Let's first answer the question about drugs: why is it illegal to grow, cook and take drugs if you only do it to yourself?
    Posted 11-06-2013 at 09:17 AM by Mr. Alex Mr. Alex is offline

  



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement

My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration