LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 507

Rep: Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387
Hard float port now available


Hello

ftp://ftp.arm.slackware.com/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt

Thanks to everyone who has donated towards it - much appreciated.

Note that the community support around it has had no advance preview, so support for the RPI 2 &3 for example won't be available until later on.

Have fun.
 
Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Linux.tar.gz
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Location: Paris
Distribution: Slackware forever.
Posts: 2,343

Rep: Reputation: 90
Awesome !
Congratulations, and many, many thanks !
 
Old 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 137

Rep: Reputation: 32
Thanks mozes. Great work. Truly great work. Much respect. <3
 
Old 08-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
kazzan
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Gentoo Linux
Posts: 17

Rep: Reputation: 7
Thank you, thank you, thank you
Iíve been eagerly awaiting this release so I grabbed my minirootfs yesterday.

Installing the minirootfs + rasbian boot partition on my RPi2 worked pretty well.
Wget/slackpkg would not work without libidn so I had to scp that package from my workstation.
I'm currently downloading a few selected package series, but I'm hoping to experience the hard float on my RPi2 during the weekend.

Again, my thanks and respect to drmozes for keeping Slackware ARM alive!
 
Old 08-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
Exaga
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: Slackware Linux
Posts: 74

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmozes View Post
Hello

ftp://ftp.arm.slackware.com/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt

Thanks to everyone who has donated towards it - much appreciated.

Note that the community support around it has had no advance preview, so support for the RPI 2 &3 for example won't be available until later on.

Have fun.

I'm running the Slackware ARM hard float port right now on a Raspberry Pi 3. I'm typing this post via Firefox in Xfce. It all works very well. Only a couple of minor issues so far.

Unfortunately and regrettably, support for the RPi 2/3 for the Slackware ARM hard float port from FatDog.eu might take longer than expected.

Have fun? Hahaha... that's an understatement. Thanks once again MoZes. ^5
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 507

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzan View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you
Iíve been eagerly awaiting this release so I grabbed my minirootfs yesterday.

Installing the minirootfs + rasbian boot partition on my RPi2 worked pretty well.
Wget/slackpkg would not work without libidn so I had to scp that package from my workstation.
I'm currently downloading a few selected package series, but I'm hoping to experience the hard float on my RPi2 during the weekend.

Again, my thanks and respect to drmozes for keeping Slackware ARM alive!
Thanks.

libidn will be added to the mini root when I next push that out.
 
Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 507

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaga View Post
I'm running the Slackware ARM hard float port right now on a Raspberry Pi 3. I'm typing this post via Firefox in Xfce. It all works very well. Only a couple of minor issues so far.

Unfortunately and regrettably, support for the RPi 2/3 for the Slackware ARM hard float port from FatDog.eu might take longer than expected.

Have fun? Hahaha... that's an understatement. Thanks once again MoZes. ^5
No problems, I'm glad you like using it.

And thanks for helping continue to create the community around it by providing some great documentation for the RPi.
 
Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Ilgar
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2, Slackwarearm-current
Posts: 956

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
That's awesome work! Thank you drmozes (and everyone else who contributed).
 
Old 08-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
enine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Slackware 14.2, SlackwareArm-current
Posts: 1,189
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 167Reputation: 167
I thought you were not going to use the same name, shouldn't this be SlackwareHardArm or such :P
 
Old 08-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
OldHolborn
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware!
Posts: 128

Rep: Reputation: 90
Up and running on the RPi2 with a quick and unfortunately messy install, it just feels zingier!

Fantastic job and congratulations on another great release, thank you!

Now reinstalling but this time with the date set...
 
Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #11
Penthux
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Middlesbrough, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 137

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by enine View Post
I thought you were not going to use the same name, shouldn't this be SlackwareHardArm or such :P
Will the soft float version become SlackwareEasyArm then?
 
Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
enine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Slackware 14.2, SlackwareArm-current
Posts: 1,189
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 167Reputation: 167
Is the rasbian kernel already compiled hard so I can still use it for raspberry Pi's?
 
Old 08-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #13
OldHolborn
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware!
Posts: 128

Rep: Reputation: 90
kernel is agnostic, you can use the fatdog image (and instructions, it's the same process) to install.

cofi-rpi will need recompiled though

You'll want to grab the new kernel and firmware, this time from the hardfp directory, from the rpi gits.

The fatdog images are getting a little dated now for the rpi and rpi2, neither have yet been updated for 14.2, the rpi one still uses kernel 3.18.

They still both work though and the rpi2 one works for both hard and soft float installs
 
Old 08-26-2016, 05:47 AM   #14
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 507

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHolborn View Post
kernel is agnostic, you can use the fatdog image (and instructions, it's the same process) to install.

[..]
They still both work though and the rpi2 one works for both hard and soft float installs
As long as the Kernel is at least version 3.2, it'll work with hard float. I doubt this is a problem though.
 
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #15
enine
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Distribution: Slackware 14.2, SlackwareArm-current
Posts: 1,189
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 167Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHolborn View Post
kernel is agnostic, you can use the fatdog image (and instructions, it's the same process) to install.

cofi-rpi will need recompiled though

You'll want to grab the new kernel and firmware, this time from the hardfp directory, from the rpi gits.

The fatdog images are getting a little dated now for the rpi and rpi2, neither have yet been updated for 14.2, the rpi one still uses kernel 3.18.

They still both work though and the rpi2 one works for both hard and soft float installs
I ended up doing all mine with the minirootfs as I setup my 3 before the fatdog was available and now the zero as well. So when my kids killed power and the 2's that went down I reinstalled them with minirootfs as well.

I modded the minirootfs anyway by changing some of the config files to what I need then when I write a new SD card some things are already done.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slackware ARM - FAQ - soft float and hard float drmozes Slackware - ARM 10 01-14-2017 07:56 AM
[hard float port] We are already there? Darth Vader Slackware - ARM 10 08-17-2016 01:31 AM
Donations being accepted for 32bit hard float port drmozes Slackware - ARM 9 07-27-2016 03:49 AM
Hard float/soft float interndan Slackware - ARM 5 08-01-2014 10:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration