LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
george-lappies
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Secunda, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 180

Rep: Reputation: 9
Question xfce themes and other spices?


Hi all, the kde thread made me want to give xfce another go. The standard themes are a bit dull. I am running the proprietary ati drivers on a HD5470 so compiz and mates should not be an issue. What themes and spices do you recommended to make xfce a bit more wow?
 
Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
Thor_2.0
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere on my hard drive...
Distribution: Manjaro
Posts: 2,221
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: Reputation: 279Reputation: 279Reputation: 279
Hi,

Look at this site...links where to get the "goods" and info on installing the stuff...

Enjoy!

Thor
 
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 540

Rep: Reputation: 256Reputation: 256Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by george-lappies View Post
Hi all, the kde thread made me want to give xfce another go. The standard themes are a bit dull. I am running the proprietary ati drivers on a HD5470 so compiz and mates should not be an issue. What themes and spices do you recommended to make xfce a bit more wow?
For me the beauty of XFCE is that it is non-distracting, not dull. However, I do adjust the XFCE theme, mainly to turn off all images on toolbars and widgets like OK/Cancel buttons; to reduce the size of GTK widgets, scrollbars and pane handles; and to change window colours system-wide. I do most of this by making small changes to the gtkrc file in /usr/share/themes/xfce-*.
 
Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 483

Rep: Reputation: 126Reputation: 126
may be a nice gtk theme?
for example, my favourite gtk engine is Murrine (http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...sktop/murrine/) and my favourite theme for it is Gilouche (http://www.cimitan.com/murrine/node/72)
 
Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
rmjohnso
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 294

Rep: Reputation: 43
You might want to try xfce-look.org.

I personally use this theme:

BSM Simple
http://xfce-look.org/content/show.ph...content=121685
 
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,908

Rep: Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545
Equinox GTK engine:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=121881

Equinox Evolution themes:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=140449

Faenza icons:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=128143

And the XFWM theme of your choice:
http://xfce-look.org/index.php?xsort...ontentmode=420
 
Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
george-lappies
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Secunda, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Hi I think I am doing something wrong... I cannot get my windows to look close to the screenshots included on those pages. How do you know if it installed successfully?
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
george-lappies
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Secunda, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
may be a nice gtk theme?
for example, my favourite gtk engine is Murrine (http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...sktop/murrine/) and my favourite theme for it is Gilouche (http://www.cimitan.com/murrine/node/72)
Hi, I compiled and installed the slackbuild but I cannot get the murrine theme to showup under 'window manager'...
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 483

Rep: Reputation: 126Reputation: 126
you need to additionally install the Murrine Theme

untar it and put it in ./themes in you home
 
Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,908

Rep: Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545Reputation: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by george-lappies View Post
Hi I think I am doing something wrong... I cannot get my windows to look close to the screenshots included on those pages. How do you know if it installed successfully?
The themes will show up in Xfce's theme chooser if you've installed them successfully.

If they don't look right, start a GTK app from an XTerm. If there's a problem with the theme (e.g. a missing theme engine), then you'll see an error message saying so, in the XTerm.

The Equinox engine needs to be compiled. SBo has a SlackBuild for an earlier version, but I always just use src2pkg.

The Equinox Evolution themes get untarred in ~/.themes. They're what you should see in your theme chooser.

Icons get untarred into ~/.icons and should also show up in your theme chooser. There might further instructions in the archive (I can't remember).

If you continue to have problems with the themes I linked to, then post screenshots of what you do have.

Last edited by dugan; 06-07-2011 at 04:03 PM.
 
Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
yuuko
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by george-lappies View Post
Hi, I compiled and installed the slackbuild but I cannot get the murrine theme to showup under 'window manager'...
The theme for xfwm4 is not in that package.
Here it is: Gilouche-xfwm4.tar.bz2

Cheers,
 
Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
george-lappies
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Secunda, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuuko View Post
The theme for xfwm4 is not in that package.
Here it is: Gilouche-xfwm4.tar.bz2

Cheers,
aah thanks!!! that worked
 
Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
george-lappies
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Secunda, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
The themes will show up in Xfce's theme chooser if you've installed them successfully.

If they don't look right, start a GTK app from an XTerm. If there's a problem with the theme (e.g. a missing theme engine), then you'll see an error message saying so, in the XTerm.

The Equinox engine needs to be compiled. SBo has a SlackBuild for an earlier version, but I always just use src2pkg.

The Equinox Evolution themes get untarred in ~/.themes. They're what you should see in your theme chooser.

Icons get untarred into ~/.icons and should also show up in your theme chooser. There might further instructions in the archive (I can't remember).

If you continue to have problems with the themes I linked to, then post screenshots of what you do have.
Thanks, it is working now as well
 
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #14
george-lappies
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Secunda, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 180

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 9
Hi all, is there a way to make the kde apps look exactly like the gtk apps?
 
Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
yuuko
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by george-lappies View Post
Hi all, is there a way to make the kde apps look exactly like the gtk apps?
This post will sort you out.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XFCE Themes GypsyPants Linux - Newbie 2 05-03-2009 05:09 PM
How to use XFCE themes? Edstorm Linux - General 9 07-30-2008 01:10 PM
XFCE themes shane25119 Linux - Desktop 1 08-12-2006 08:56 PM
xfce themes xushi Slackware 2 05-19-2005 09:51 AM
XFCE themes joel112 Linux - Software 1 02-28-2004 11:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration