SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've had something go wacky with a 13.1 installation. It ran fine until a week ago. Without getting into it, I tried fixing things. Nothing works right. Tried doing a fresh install into my swap partition just to prove out the hardware...couldn't get an install to work off of my dvd. Made another DVD (slackware.mirrors.tds.net) and it has a different md5sum. So I downloaded the 13.1 dvd again, couldn't get that to load...kde modules were corrupt...yet the md5sum matched the published one.
Now I'm downloading slackware-current, I will access it locally from a discserver via NFS, and see if I can install that in the swap partition (16gb).
Anyone else have anything similar? I tried to verify the operation of my DVD reader, and it seems to be OK. I tried a different DVD reader on another system, without a full install. So then I tried repeated installs from a NFS partition, and that is where I consistently got the corrupt .tgz files for kde.
In an hour or two I should have a complete -current download, and can try that.
Well, I finally was able to do a good install. I got slackware-current, put it on a NFS drive, and _reformatted_ the target directory, and was able to install. At this point it appears that the reformatting of the target was the key event which got things working.
It is also possible that I have a DVD drive which is getting flakey. After I get things up and running, I do some other tests. Fortunately, I have several to use, so I can work around that.
I did not use rsync.
I avoided burning new media, by using a NFS drive on another server. Oh, and I did check md5sums against the one on the mirror. It matched in the burner host. I don't think it did in the target (but was consistently different. Hence my suspicion of a bad DVD drive on the target.
Finally, I am impressed with load speeds off a local server disc, in lieu of using a DVD. Sure is fast.
Last, but not least, thanks for the helpful suggestions, and taking the time to consider the issue. When an installation fails, and in doubt, reformat the target, and try again.