SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Are you guys sure you used the updated Samba package for Slackware 10.0 /10.1 / 10.2 and not for -current??? The packages in the respective /patches directories for the official releases are not linked to any of those packages mentioned in this thread as far as I can determine (using ldd).
root@pooter:~# md5sum /var/slapt-get/patches/packages/samba-3.0.23-i486-2_slack10.2
root@pooter:~# slapt-get --upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0kB/18MB of archives.
After unpacking 10kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [y/N] y
Preparing to replace samba-3.0.23-i486-1_slack10.2 with samba-3.0.23-i486-2_slack10.2
Now I'm back to "isane" packetloss between linux clients using samba.
Windows talks but is really slow at first, about 20 second pause clicking on mapped network drive; but then does work so I'm assuming I'm getting loss on windows too.
I run slackware -current here and I had the same problem. I upgraded to samba-3.0.23-i486-2 (after reading this thread and congratulating myself on waiting this long ). I ended up having to install dmapi-2.2.3-i486-2 to get libdm installed. Here's the output from ldd for smbd:
Maybe a dodgy version of samba-3.0.23-i486-2 got to my mirror? I run my own mirror rsynced from slackware.mirrors.tds.net. But since it's working with dmapi-2.2.3-i486-2 I'm more confused than anything given the email about not needing libdm
IMO you can report this as a bug to volkerdi at slackware dot com and see what he has to say.
Thanks for the advice. Just in case I had the wrong package, I checked the md5sum of my samba-3.0.23-i486-2.tgz against the slackware-security email and since they're the same I emailed Pat with the info (including a link to this thread).
Hi everyone - I received a reply from Pat about this. He pointed out that the slackware-security email states that the 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 packages have been rebuilt on systems without the dm library. It doesn't mention the -current package in relation to libdm, only regarding reported problems with winbind. Also, the dmapi (and possible acl) packages will probably move to the A series in -current RSN since a lot of stuff is starting to depend on them.
The confusion for me was that I assumed the 10.2 changelog quote applied to -current. It doesn't and the -current changelog only has the following for Samba:
n/samba-3.0.23-i486-2.tgz: Patched a problem in nsswitch/wins.c that
caused crashes in the wins and/or winbind libraries. Thanks to
Mikhail Kshevetskiy for pointing out the issue and offering a
reference to the patch in Samba's source repository.
For me, installing dmapi-2.2.3-i486-2 to get libdm on my Slackware -current boxes got things back to normal. I don't have any other configurations (10.2 or earlier) to test against though...