LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
michijo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 162

Rep: Reputation: 0
dependencies


Is there a clean way to check for dependencies that may already be installed beyond user's knowledge? Like if I want to install Gnash, and it requires agg and xulrunner, before I install those as well, a simple command like "which" to locate them?
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
where are you installing Gnash from?
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
michijo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 162

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
where are you installing Gnash from?
http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=gnash&sv=13.37
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
comfree
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Germany
Distribution: Slackware64-current, Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You can always list all installed packages on your system by typing:

Code:
ls -l /var/log/packages
You can grep out the package you are searching for. In your case a dependency:

Code:
ls -l /var/log/packages | grep <packagename>
If you installed programs, maybe from sourcecodes or whatever you can use find:

Code:
find / -name <name>
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
well, i usually check what I have installed with pkgtool
actually, if you are using sbopkg and install Gnash from its build queue, dependencies that are already present will be indicated as installed

Last edited by solarfields; 11-01-2012 at 11:24 AM.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
michijo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 162

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfree View Post
You can always list all installed packages on your system by typing:

Code:
ls -l /var/log/packages
You can grep out the package you are searching for. In your case a dependency:

Code:
ls -l /var/log/packages | grep <packagename>
If you installed programs, maybe from sourcecodes or whatever you can use find:

Code:
find / -name <name>
The grep line seems to work good.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
michijo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 162

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
well, i usually check what I have installed with pkgtool
actually, if you are using sbopkg and install Gnash from its build queue, dependencies that are already present will be indicated as installed
I just installed sbopkg. Do you recommend installed all the updates for various packages it finds?
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Quote:
Do you recommend installed all the updates for various packages it finds?
I am sorry, what do you mean exactly?
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
michijo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 162

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
I am sorry, what do you mean exactly?
I was using slapt-get to update my system before, but apparently it never updated any packages I installed from Slackbuilds.org. now I run sbopkg and it is updating them for the first time. I was suspicious of so many updates. Normally I install most packages the slow way of downloading them and their dependencies manually from slackbuilds.org.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
SBo is not a repository for precompiled packages, so to the best of my knowledge slapt-get will do nothing with it.

What version of Slackware are you using?
Did you use some 3rd part repo for slapt-get, like slacky.eu?

Quote:
Normally I install most packages the slow way of downloading them and their dependencies manually from slackbuilds.org.
sbopkg does this for you, simply it is a bit more automated. It is left up to you to decide what to upgrade.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
michijo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 162

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
SBo is not a repository for precompiled packages, so to the best of my knowledge slapt-get will do nothing with it.

What version of Slackware are you using?
Did you use some 3rd part repo for slapt-get, like slacky.eu?



sbopkg does this for you, simply it is a bit more automated. It is left up to you to decide what to upgrade.
So far most of the upgrades I tried dont work, as no dependencies are resolved. Is there a way to update packages manually without sbopkg? Like ffmpeg couldnt update, because something else was out of date. Also, couldnt install gnash, as NSPR or something was missing.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Please tell us this:

What version of Slackware are you using?
Did you use some 3rd part repo for slapt-get, like slacky.eu?

Quote:
Is there a way to update packages manually without sbopkg?
of course, download everything from SBo the "old fashioned way", run the SlackBuild, the ready package will be placed in /tmp. then upgrade it with

# upgradepkg /tmp/package-$ARCH-$BUILD_SBo.tgz

It is up to you to resolve the dependencies

Last edited by solarfields; 11-01-2012 at 03:48 PM.
 
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
michijo
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2011
Posts: 162

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
Please tell us this:

What version of Slackware are you using?
Did you use some 3rd part repo for slapt-get, like slacky.eu?


of course, download everything from SBo the "old fashioned way", run the SlackBuild, the ready package will be placed in /tmp. then upgrade it with

# upgradepkg /tmp/package-$ARCH-$BUILD_SBo.tgz

It is up to you to resolve the dependencies
I cant really recall where I got slapt-get. I usually use trusted sources. I just upgraded to Slackware 13.37.

Ah, so those tgz filse are still in temp eh? I should look around there. I suppose one could also do

# upgradepkg /tmp/*.tgz

like a wildcard maybe to do a complete check on possible upgrades.
 
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
zrdc28
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama USA
Distribution: Slackware current
Posts: 248

Rep: Reputation: 40
This the way I do it! locate xulrunner
 
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
dumdadum
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 215
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Wink it seems that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michijo View Post
So far most of the upgrades I tried dont work, as no dependencies are resolved. Is there a way to update packages manually without sbopkg? Like ffmpeg couldnt update, because something else was out of date. Also, couldnt install gnash, as NSPR or something was missing.
Hello dear friend,

Are you having problems COMPILING gnash? Cuzz its really simple IF that is the question...

Waiting for your reply,
10/4

Dumdadum
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dependencies zenerdiode Linux - Newbie 5 10-01-2006 11:01 PM
dependencies lnebrown Linux - Newbie 2 02-04-2005 12:35 PM
I recieve a failed dependencies error, but I have all required dependencies Laptop2250 Linux - Software 15 02-03-2004 07:58 PM
dependencies :/// maciek Linux - Software 1 11-02-2003 08:10 PM
dependencies slam Linux - Newbie 3 06-06-2003 04:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration