LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
bmarley83
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 133

Rep: Reputation: 27
Lightbulb Alien BOB


Eric, what email service do you use? I am asking here because I don't know your email address. Also I'm contemplating creating my own email server with Slackware. If you don't answer I won't be offended, just severely brokenhearted but seriously please answer.
 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
bmarley83
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 133

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
Oh and the Slackware guide to creating your own email server is a bit outdated can anyone give me some help on a more current guide or explanation?
 
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 AM   #3
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,944

Rep: Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarley83 View Post
Oh and the Slackware guide to creating your own email server is a bit outdated can anyone give me some help on a more current guide or explanation?
Setting up a mail server is not exactly a trivial task. I've written a short HOWTO about the subject.

http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/L...Mail-HOWTO.txt
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #4
Mark Pettit
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64 Multi-Lib
Posts: 442

Rep: Reputation: 140Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
Setting up a mail server is not exactly a trivial task. I've written a short HOWTO about the subject.

http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/L...Mail-HOWTO.txt
Ho Ho - what an understatement !

But it's all in French. Might as well be in Ancient Greek :-)
 
Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
kite
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Shenzhen, China
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 301

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pettit View Post
Ho Ho - what an understatement !

But it's all in French. Might as well be in Ancient Greek :-)
I followed this guide to setup my Slackware mail server successfuly:

http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.ph...r#Installation
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,379

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
If you did not find any of my email addresses then you really did not look.

I run my own mailserver at home, using Slackware's own sendmail as the MTA and Cyrus-IMAP as the local IMAP server (using Slackbuild and package which I created for myself but never released into the open). I have plugged SpamAssassin and ClamAV into my Sendmail process, so that emails are checked for viruses and SPAM before they reach my inbox. Cyrus IMAP has a server-side filtering daemon called "sieve" so that I do not have to define rules in a mail client like Thunderbird, but the mails get sorted into sub-folders immediately when they reach my inbox.
I can access my emails from everywhere (phone, PC, etc) and for emergency access to mail I also have RoundCube running (a webmail solution).

That's my home situation. I also use GMail for a lot of other (non-family related) activities, and I use yet another mailbox on the slackware.com server. I have a truckload of email aliases too, those mails all get forwarded to my home server.

Eric
 
7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,944

Rep: Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pettit View Post
Ho Ho - what an understatement !

But it's all in French. Might as well be in Ancient Greek :-)
Sing, O goddess, the anger of Lennart son of Redhatus, that brought countless ills upon the Slackwareans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to this forum, and many a hero did it yield a prey to bugs and alpha software, for so were the counsels of Linus fulfilled from the day on which the son of Poettering and great Volkerding first fell out with one another.

 
10 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 3,118

Rep: Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pettit View Post
But it's all in French. Might as well be in Ancient Greek :-)
Open a tab in your browser, go to http://translate.google.com, copy-paste the URL provided by Niki, hit the Translate button.

Niki writes clearly in French and Google Translate does an excellent job of porting that to English.

Hope this helps some.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 825

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
If you did not find any of my email addresses then you really did not look.

I run my own mailserver at home, using Slackware's own sendmail as the MTA and Cyrus-IMAP as the local IMAP server (using Slackbuild and package which I created for myself but never released into the open). I have plugged SpamAssassin and ClamAV into my Sendmail process, so that emails are checked for viruses and SPAM before they reach my inbox. Cyrus IMAP has a server-side filtering daemon called "sieve" so that I do not have to define rules in a mail client like Thunderbird, but the mails get sorted into sub-folders immediately when they reach my inbox.
I can access my emails from everywhere (phone, PC, etc) and for emergency access to mail I also have RoundCube running (a webmail solution).

That's my home situation. I also use GMail for a lot of other (non-family related) activities, and I use yet another mailbox on the slackware.com server. I have a truckload of email aliases too, those mails all get forwarded to my home server.

Eric
That's awesome! Does your ISP not block port 25 though? Back a long time ago, it used to be open until too many windows boxes were compromised and were used as spam bots. I believe ISP open port 25 if the account is a business class.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,379

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
That's awesome! Does your ISP not block port 25 though? Back a long time ago, it used to be open until too many windows boxes were compromised and were used as spam bots. I believe ISP open port 25 if the account is a business class.
When sending mails out of my LAN to the world, I use my ISP's SMTP server (the same you would have to configure in your mail client) as the Smart Host in Sendmail's configuration. Otherwise lots of emails would not get accepted because they originate from a consumer IP address range.
Receiving emails works because indeed my ISP (UPC) does not block any port. Not even for my consumer subscription.

Eric
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 825

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
When sending mails out of my LAN to the world, I use my ISP's SMTP server (the same you would have to configure in your mail client) as the Smart Host in Sendmail's configuration. Otherwise lots of emails would not get accepted because they originate from a consumer IP address range.
Receiving emails works because indeed my ISP (UPC) does not block any port. Not even for my consumer subscription.

Eric
Very nice!
 
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 3,118

Rep: Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
Sing, O goddess, the anger of Lennart son of Redhatus, that brought countless ills upon the Slackwareans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to this forum, and many a hero did it yield a prey to bugs and alpha software, for so were the counsels of Linus fulfilled from the day on which the son of Poettering and great Volkerding first fell out with one another.
Didya mean?
Quote:
Τραγουδήστε, O θεά, την οργή του Lennart γιος του Redhatus, που έφερε αμέτρητα δεινά από τις Slackwareans. Πολλοί μια γενναία ψυχή δεν το στείλετε σπεύσει κάτω σε αυτό το φόρουμ, και πολλά ήρωας δεν θα αποδώσει ένα θήραμα σε σφάλματα και άλφα λογισμικού, για τόσο ήταν οι βουλές του Linus πληρούνται από την ημέρα κατά την οποία ο γιος του Poettering και μεγάλη Volkerding έπεσε πρώτη έξω με το ένα το άλλο.
modern but
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
bmarley83
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 133

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
Thanks everyone, awesome thread! Marked as Solved.
 
Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
bmarley83
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 133

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
Oh sorry one more question. Would this even be possible on an ISP (Verizon Fios) that uses Dynamic IP configuration?
 
Old 01-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,944

Rep: Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
That's awesome! Does your ISP not block port 25 though? Back a long time ago, it used to be open until too many windows boxes were compromised and were used as spam bots. I believe ISP open port 25 if the account is a business class.
In case your ISP blocks port 25, you can configure Postfix to use port 587 for sending messages. Just comment out one line in /etc/postfix/master.cf:

Code:
smtp       inet  n    -    n    -    -    smtpd
#smtp      inet  n    -    n    -    1    postscreen
#smtpd     pass  -    -    n    -    -    smtpd
#dnsblog   unix  -    -    n    -    0    dnsblog
#tlsproxy  unix  -    -    n    -    0    tlsproxy
submission inet  n    -    n    -    -    smtpd  --> uncomment
Reload Postfix:

Code:
# /etc/rc.d/rc.postfix reload
The popular french ISP Orange is blocking port 25, so I'm regularly using port 587.

Cheers,

Niki
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Vote for Alien Bob samac Slackware 49 08-27-2013 09:48 PM
Alien Bob's Blog. cwizardone Slackware 15 01-19-2012 06:29 AM
[SOLVED] is alien bob's site down? nivieru Slackware 9 06-27-2011 03:14 PM
Alien Bob's Server Down? vtel57 Slackware 8 03-28-2011 09:51 PM
One for Alien Bob cwwilson721 Slackware 28 08-15-2006 05:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration