12.2/current KDE 4 desktop issues
I have a number of unsolved issues with KDE 4.x.x - I'm running -current ( as of today ) at the moment with KDE 4.2.4, NVidia binary driver 185.18.29 and GeFroce 7300GT.
1. konsole - never remembers my selection of 'show in menu' items ( Settings -> Manage Profiles -> select 'show in menu' for each profile ). As I have quite a number of profiles ( about 30 at last count ) it's a pain to go in each time and select 'show in menu' for each profile. Or am I doing something really stupid here?
2. I have an issue, which seems to happen after using OpenOffice apps for a while, with the kwin interface slowing down to a crawl. Any clicks, pop-ups, tool-tips, launch menu selections, panel autohide, etc takes about 5-10 seconds to execute. I'm using Robby Workman's 3.1 OO packages. The problem doesn't happen immediately ( only after a few days ) and I can't pin it down to OO specifically but is seems more than coincidence. 'top' doesn't show any CPU heavy apps running when this happens.
3. the system notifier in the lower right corner persists in showing info about kget even when kget has not items in progress ( see attachment )
4. window placement and sizing is a continuous issue - I normally use the following method:
a. set running app window to desired settings ( eg. full screen, 2nd monitor )
b. right-click title bar and 'Configure Windows Behaviour'
c. select 'window specific'
d. 'new' -> 'detect window properties' -> select app window
f. position -> remember
g. fullscreen -> remember
This is a bit of a lucky draw and sometimes I have to do this a number of times. I have to say that 3.5's window placement was a lot better.
5. folder view naming issue: if I create a link to a folder/app/whatever, then the name of the icon shows up as <name>.desktop. If I create a folder ( eg. ) in a folder view, then it has the correct name.
6. setting a name for an icon in a panel ( right-click -> icon settings ) using the general and/or application tab, does not always take.
7. system settings -> network settings -> network settings just throws a 'cannot parse xml settings' error.
8. k3b ( yes I know it's very alpha status ) crashes on ISO writes. non-ISO data/audio burns are fine.
9. sftp connection to a remote server in konqueror will request username/password 3 times before opening.
I know some of this is user knowledge but any help is appreciated - Regards, Robby