LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Micro420

Distribution: Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 2003 Server/Vista/7/XP/2000/NT/98, Ubuntux64, CentOS4.8/5.4

Rep: Reputation: 45
ATI+Mandrake for Newbies

I finally got my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro to work and I want to share how I did it as I was frustrated for such a long time!

(disclaimer: some chipsets (KT400, KT600, and P4X400 (all VIA)) need additional modification. MUCH conversation can be found out about these modifications here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ght=ATI+agpgart

--------
My previous problem was here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=88453
--------

**What to do (hopefully this works for you guys, too!)

1) go to www.ati.com and download the correct Radeon driver for linux. It should be an *.RPM file

2) go to KONSOLE and type 'rpm -Uvh <file name>.rpm'
3) Do you see this? :
-----------------------
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:fglrx-glc22 ########################################### [100%]
*** Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
*** WARNING ***
Tailored kernel module for fglrx not present in your system.
You must go to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod subdir
and execute './make.sh' to build a fully customed kernel module.
Afterwards go to /lib/modules/fglrx and run './make_install.sh'
in order to install the module into your kernel's module repository.
(see readme.txt for more details.)

As of now you can still run your XServer in 2D, but hardware acclerated
OpenGL will not work and 2D graphics will lack performance.

failed.
*** Error: no kernel module build environment - please consult readme.
Installed: qt3 (gcc 3.2) based control panel application
===
ATI display drivers successfully installed
please run 'fglrxconfig' now
===
------------------------

4) Ignore all that mumbo-jumbo text that it displays. instead, type in your console 'uname -a' and note the kernel version number and write this down!

5) go back into the mandrake GUI and go to your Control Center, Software, Add RPM software

6) search ALPHABETICALLY for 'kernel-source' and find the matching version number in step 4. Select that version and install it

7) after installing, go back to your KONSOLE to the ATI driver file and type 'rpm -i --force <file name>.rpm'

8) it will do its thing and you see a bunch of text that makes no sense.

9) type 'fglrxconfig' in the KONSOLE and go through the text based set up.

10) reboot and see if games like tux racer is running smooth now.

** I hope this makes sense and at least helps one person! It took me forever to figure this out as nobody really gave me a step by step instruction on how to install this stuff.
Questions/comments please

Last edited by Micro420; 09-26-2003 at 02:35 PM.

Old 09-26-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
courtrrb

Distribution: MDK Since V6.5

Rep: Reputation: 30
If you think you were frustrated I had 3 ATI7500 (All less than a yr old) and none of them will run any 3D game. After reading, downloading every supposedly working driver, compiling, changing every config file and compile numerous of time and reloading system time & time again I still didn't have 3D after 4 months. I ended up replacing all but one with NVIDIA and had all systems done in an evening Now I have 3D. Oh the last one it's in my server. Ya great place for a $85.00 video card in a server.

Old 09-26-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
jpbarto

Distribution: Gentoo / NetBSD

micro420 excellent post. However please add a disclaimer that some chipsets (KT400, KT600, and P4X400 (all VIA)) need additional modification. MUCH conversation can be found out about these modifications here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ht=ATI+agpgart

If you don't mind waiting and if it would help I could create a formal write up that you could add to this post.

sincerely,
jpbarto

Old 09-26-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
Micro420

Distribution: Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 2003 Server/Vista/7/XP/2000/NT/98, Ubuntux64, CentOS4.8/5.4

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by courtrrb
If you think you were frustrated I had 3 ATI7500 (All less than a yr old) and none of them will run any 3D game. After reading, downloading every supposedly working driver, compiling, changing every config file and compile numerous of time and reloading system time & time again I still didn't have 3D after 4 months. I ended up replacing all but one with NVIDIA and had all systems done in an evening Now I have 3D. Oh the last one it's in my server. Ya great place for a $85.00 video card in a server.
Yes, from what I am reading, NVIDIA does make it easier to install. However, I can't just throw away my beloved video card. Ah... the memories with Windows XP...

Old 09-26-2003, 02:32 PM   #5
Micro420

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by jpbarto
micro420 excellent post. However please add a disclaimer that some chipsets (KT400, KT600, and P4X400 (all VIA)) need additional modification. MUCH conversation can be found out about these modifications here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ht=ATI+agpgart

If you don't mind waiting and if it would help I could create a formal write up that you could add to this post.

sincerely,
jpbarto
I think a sticky or a formal post would be great. When I did searches for ATI drivers and Radeon cards, all the posts are scattered and confusing! We just need one post that can explain everything! I"ll be happy to contribute if I can when the new formal write up is made.

And please, if you do make the formal sticky post, please edit out off topic comments in that post. We don't need people saying that Nvidia is better or how the weather is better in Hawaii than New Mexico.

Last edited by Micro420; 09-26-2003 at 02:37 PM.

Old 09-26-2003, 02:44 PM   #6
jpbarto

Not sure about how to make a sticky post but we can certainly start a formal 'how-to' thread in the Linux Hardware forum this post would be a great start.

Old 09-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #7
Micro420

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by jpbarto
Not sure about how to make a sticky post but we can certainly start a formal 'how-to' thread in the Linux Hardware forum this post would be a great start.
Only the moderators can do this. We have to ask them to do it for us. HOpefully a moderator will read this and consider it?

Old 09-26-2003, 03:04 PM   #8
jpbarto

perhaps ... if not tomorrow we'll post a request in the Q&A section.