LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories Just spent four hours configuring your favorite program? Just figured out a Linux problem that has been stumping you for months?
Post your Linux Success Stories here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2003, 05:17 AM   #1
twan

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 15
Configuring ADSL with SuSE and a Speedtouch USB modem

Here's my guide to this --^

First step: Getting your files

Before we can install our Speedtouch modem, we have to download a file. This file is located at Alcatel's website. The file is called "Management Software". If you can't find this file (like I did), just contact them. They are happy to send it to you.

Note: Make sure you have the packages "make", "gcc" and "glibc-devel" are installed or else you won't have the possibility to compile from source.

Second step: Compiling the sourcecode

Log in as 'root'. Then go to Konsole. Unpack the package you have downloaded from the Alcatel website.
Unpack it with the following command:
$ tar -xvf speedmgmt.tar.gz
Change to the new directory "mgmt" by entering the following command:
$ cd mgmt
Now enter these commands to compile the sourcecode:
$ make
$ make install

Third step: Modifying the script

Now we have to change a line in the start script and in the file "usb.usermap". To do so, open the file /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtouch with an editor (like KEditor) and change the line "modprobe -k speedtch" to "modprobe -k speedtouch".
Now open the file /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap. Add one "0x0000" after the already existing "0x0000".
Restart the hotplug service with the command:
$ rchotplug restart

Fourth step: Finalizing settings

Now start "YaST2" and open the module Network/Basic -> DSL Configuration. You will be asked if T-Online is your provider, answer 'No'. In the next dialog enter user name, password, VPI/VCI numbers (ask your provider), and switch the "PPP mode" to "PPP over ATM".

So as you can see it's quite easy to configure it

Sources: SuSE help center and some tutorials on the web, combined to a fast & working one by me

Old 06-02-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
alfredovogel
LQ Newbie

Distribution: ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
a question ...

Was your modem a 330? or is it the old froggy?

I have a 330 and could not make it work following your steps to success under SuSE 8.1

Thanks
alfredo

Old 06-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #3
twan

Distribution: Gentoo

Original Poster
i have the green "froggy type" modem

Old 12-29-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
Stanley56

Distribution: Gentoo, Debian

Quote:
Originally posted by twan
i have the green "froggy type" modem
Me too. Configuring it in Gentoo is piece of cake.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Twan - your Success Story on the Speedtouch USB Modem seems to be ideal for our LinuxAnswers section.

Would you be willing to submit it? It would be of help to the site and to the rest of our membership if you would do so (it would also put your instructions in a prominent place for anyone searching for it ).

If you are willing to do so, read this link on submitting an Answer beforehand.

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
Theylan
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware mostly, Gentoo is going on the games machine, Fedora on the TV websurfer

link for management software :
http://download.ethomson.com/download/speedmgmt.tar.gz

Old 08-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #7
LinuxLala

Distribution: Fedora 7

Rep: Reputation: 45
And twan,

please include the links to howtos, tutorials, etc. that helped you install successfully. It's always nice to provide the links

Great work, and do think about submiting the howto.

Cheers.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
tpurch
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Novell Enterprise 10.1

Speedtouch 330 configured in SuSE

Hi!

I have had a few days messing about trying to configure speedtouch with kernel drivers and have done it! System now boots and I can connect using Kinternet!

Heres what I did:

I followed the SUSE http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/0...peedTouch.html

but I am using version Suse 9.1 so I didn't change the modprobe -k speedtch in /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtouch.

I was still unable to access via kinternet. So I rebooted and when the system loaded I double clicked on the Adapter Card Icon in the Systray, looked for the Speedtch modem (it was listed under unknown!) click on it and checked the properties. It said it was Active and Configured.

so I tried again, but no luck...... I viewed the connection log for kinternet and I was getting a SOCKET Error (can't remember what it said sorry!!!)

Anyway so I looked about a bit more and found that the ppptoatm kernel module wasn't loaded! I opened a Console Session and typed: modprobe -k ppptoatm

My internet connection started to work!!!! so I edited the /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtouch file and added the line: modprobe -k ppptoatm (just under the modprobe -k speedtch line!)

Old 12-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #9
tpurch
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Novell Enterprise 10.1

re: My Previous Post

Just a quick update to say that I have now tried the Purple and Silver Frogs ! Both work using the method I used above!