LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2003, 06:24 AM   #1
SolarDegree
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Linux MAN Pages in PDF format

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a Linux MAN Page collection in PDF format? One might ask, “why in PDF?” Well, I’ll tell you why, for a number of reasons.

First, I have many Linux Books with a wealth of knowledge, however, most discuss reading MAN pages along with the HOWTOs and the News Groups before even mentioning how to install Linux; so the end user is stuck in a recursive cycle of: “I can’t install Linux till I’ve read some MAN pages, but I can’t read MAN pages until I install Linux.”

You say, “There are other ways of accessing the MAN Pages; online, html, from Installation CDs, Books, etc.” You’re absolutely right! However the simple rebuttal to this is not everyone has access to these resources that many so commonly take for granted. Some people struggle financially or are restricted to primitive technology or have no on-line means, or perhaps can’t even obtain Installation Discs for this reason or that.

Secondly, I’m in the process of compiling a CD with a bunch of resources and cool stuff for Linux newbies. Including; HOWTOs (in different formats), GUIDEs (in different formats), MAN Pages (hopefully, in different formats), BOOKs, Pictures (such as the hot linux chicks, most commonly found all over the internet), ASCII ART (such as TUX the Penguin), the LINUX SWITCH FLASH animation, and a whole lot more… It’s my small way to contribute to the community and at the same time learn, not to mention having a wonderful Resource CD handy ;-)

Third, It would just plain be cool. Imagine being able to transport the MAN pages on your Palm Pilot to review while away from the computer. Or simply knowing the fact that you have access to the rare distribution of the MAN Pages as a whole (believe me, I know, did a ton of Google Searching.)

Fourth, personal reasons. Does everything have to have a reason… ?

Anyhow, if someone comes across a compilation of the Linux MAN Pages in PDF format or if they are willing to compile such a collection on their own, then I would appreciate it if they would drop me a line via e-mail: rkm@arn.net or even POST a response in this forum/newsgroup.

Thanx in Advance,
Ryan \ SolarDegree \ nerpoc

Old 03-23-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
david_ross

Distribution: Slackware, RedHat, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 79
The linux documentation project has something similar for HOW TOs http://www.embeddedlogic.com/ELSweb/LDPCD_info.html