LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
devit

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Linux on Toshiba Satellite

I want to install a Slackware 10.2 on a Toshiba Satellite L10-202 notebook. I am using Slackware for over 2 years but this is the first time I am using a notebook so I don't even know if Slackware is a good option. A few weeks ago I installed SuSE 10 for a friend... and it looked nice.. So what do I have to do: insert the Slackware 10.2 CD no1, remove Windows XP partition, make my own partitions and then run setup? Are there some specific settings regarding networking, touch-pad, the display, power saving... Is there a guide for installing Slackware on a notebook? or I should keep Windows on my notebook and Linux on PC?
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #2
fouldsy

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 47
Most distros should be able to resize your partition during install, just make sure you have your data backed up. You could create these partitions in advance through Partition Magic similar and then just point your Linux installer to them.

The L10 is quite Linux-friendly, check my signature for running Gentoo on it, and the only problem I had was with the power management as it needs patching separately (follow the link in my instuctions). Pretty much any distro should work fine, as the graphics, sound + wired network card are fairly common and shouldn't cause problems, and the wireless card is well supported and very easy to configure with ndiswrapper.

Not sure of any Slackwares-specific instructions, but it's fairly common hardware as detailed before, so it shouldn't be too difficult to put Slack on it if that's what you're comfortable with. Since it's a fairly nippy laptop, SuSE should also happily run on it if you liked the eye candy it provides!

But I'd say stick Linux on it rather than leaving it solely for Windows

Old 12-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Fireball7

Distribution: Slackware 10.2, Ubuntu 6.06

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have a Windows XP Pro/Fedora Core 4 dual boot on mine which is nice. I used partition magic 8.0 to repartition without losing all of my data, so that's what i would suggest. Good luck with it.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Check out www.linux-laptop.net and also http://linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/index.htm - Toshiba's Linux pages.