LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
slazer
LQ Newbie

Distribution: slackware, fedora

Rep: Reputation: 15
how to install man?

hi all,
first of all.. i'm a newbie in slackware.. b4 this i used fedora then decided to switch to slackware. fyi, i didnt install windows manager like kde or gnome etc. just using console... to learn more about linux.

so my problem is , i forgot to install man in my slackware. can anybody here teach me how?

thank you

p/s: sorry for the english... i not good at it...

Old 10-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
gbonvehi

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 53
Put Slackware's CD 1. Mount it to someplace like /mnt/cdrom, then use: installpkg /mnt/cdrom/slackware/ap/man*
That will install man and man-pages packages, they're matched with the wildcard in the command.

You can also get the files from a mirror, like:
Code:
wget http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/s....5p-i486-1.tgz
wget http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/s...4-noarch-1.tgz
installpkg man-1.5p-i486-1.tgz
installpkg man-pages-1.64-noarch-1.tgz
A good book to read if you haven't yet: http://slackbook.org
Also, I'd personally recommend you to do a full install or you'll have to satisfy a lot of dependencies.

Last edited by gbonvehi; 10-16-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
slazer
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
thanks a lot....
i'll try to installpkg the man from cd... but unfortunately my cd drive cannot read it due to the scratch on all over the cd's surface.

i have other questions here. when installing some package or s/ware in slackware.. should i copy it to my /usr/src directory? and after install that package from there? like the case of my man installation, should i copy all the man* package into that directory? because i once tried to install slocate package to my slackware before (from /usr/src/) suddenly, it created other directory in the /usr/src/ for example /bin/ , /sbin, /etc.

can anyone explain to me where should i install a software/package from. should i copy the package to the /usr/src or other directories?

ps: sorry for the poor english...

Old 10-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
gbonvehi

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 53
You can install a package from wherever you want and you don't need to keep the package (the .tgz file) after installed.
Basically a package is a tar/gzip file which contains the directory structure the program needs, plus some install scripts, like:
usr/
usr/bin/program
usr/man/program.1
install/doinst.sh

installpkg uncompress it under root directory (/) so the files are placed where they should, /usr/bin/program in this example. It also runs the install script provided in the package and updates the packages "database" under /var/log/packages where it stores which files are used by the package.

I guess you ended with those directories when trying to install slocate because you untarred the package under /usr/src, you shouldn't do that, if it's a Slackware package, use installpkg/upgradepkg/removepkg or simply pkgtool.

As I said, if you've time read the Slackware book to get more familiar with this.

Edit: By the way, the commands I put in the other post should be exactly the ones you need to type to download & install man and man-pages packages. You could use pkgtool instead of installpkg if you want a menu-based install, but probably you'll find faster installpkg just to install two packages.

Last edited by gbonvehi; 10-17-2005 at 10:54 AM.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
slazer
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
thanks gbonvehi! u help me a lot...

you were right about how i install slocate.. i unzip the package from cd...hehehe
i already have the slackbook... but i think the book is not much detail...

Last edited by slazer; 10-17-2005 at 11:39 AM.