LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #31
adamberns
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Suse 10.0 x86_64

Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by piscikeeper
for sounds,as root:
/opt/kde3/bin/startkde

test -n "$KDEWM"&&KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
kdeinit +knotify
kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM

-------add the kdeinit line,it's probably missing---------

same audio issue as the 3.3.2 update,but it was faster to look through my notes than to lookup the link.besides,it might be a good idea to pull all the issues and fixes into a single thread .

for the kicker issue i dont have a clue just yet,but it's probably in the kicker config.
That did the trick for the System Notifications. Now I have some audio feedback in KDE.

Thank you piscikeeper!

Old 03-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #32
dasbooter

Rep: Reputation: 15
ohhh god I have spent hours on this I just don't want to give up on it.

(sigh) I just cant get the Suse 9.2 's search feature of KDE HelpCenter/Suse HelpCenter(the lifebuoy in the panel menu) to work since I upgraded KDE to 3.4

It prompts me to build an index but there is nothing to check off under search scope in the build search index window that opens. I therefore cannot build a search index.

I have done alot of googling on the subject and it seems this happens to quite a few people after upgrading KDE from all the way back to really old versions. I have tried alot of stuff from these old threads and nothing seems to work

here is what I have tried:
Deleting ~.kde/share/config/khelpcenterrc so new config file would be written

running from konsole susehelpindex --force. It builds the index for 20 docs but I cant seem them in the above window.

I have tried editing this file to make sure it had the appropriate stuff in it : /etc/sysconfig/susehelp:
DOC_HOST="yourhost.yourdmain"
DOC_ALLOW="localhost .yourdomain"
DOC_AUTOINDEX="yes"

I have from the console, run "rundig" but I only partially understand what it is doing. I simply tried to follow directions from another thread I found.

I checked all the susehelp/help related packages and pressed update to force a reinstallation of those packages anyways.

One curious thing though is that I recently had a power outage due to cat (not the command but the curious clawed type) that was causing reiserf warnings. I tried to use the suse installation disk 1 to fix this and when it was doing its thing it I thought it said something about missing a package that was part of the minimum packages that you need. I think that it might have been susehelp but it wouldn't fix it. Of course it wouldnt fix the reiserf warnings either so I learned a lot about holding my breath and # fschk --rebuild that day.

Thanx all for the help. I always try to help myself bfore consulting others so I hope it justifies this lengthy post

Last edited by dasbooter; 03-28-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #33
dasbooter

I thought I would also mention that those who decided to rebuild arts 1.4.0-8 from a rpm.src as a fix for the lack of system notifications will need to set the sliders to 100% in control center> system notifications > player settings to in order to hear .ogg files play for sys. notifications. If set to less than that they wont play at all for some reason.

alsamixer shows all levels good so I dont know why the weird behavior

I have edited startkde according to this thread and I still have this weird behaviour but I do have sys notification sounds as long as the slider is set to 100%

Hope this helps

Old 03-30-2005, 06:44 AM   #34
greenthing

Distribution: Suse 9.3 pro

Rep: Reputation: 17
This looks like its a general kde 3.4 problem thread if its not please tell me so and i will delete this post.
I upgraded to kde 3.4 but now i cant login. If i enter username+pass and try to login the screen goes black for two seconds then im back at the login prompt anybody know why.

PS loging into fvwm2 works fine.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:56 AM   #35
abisko00

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally posted by greenthing
This looks like its a general kde 3.4 problem thread if its not please tell me so and i will delete this post.
I upgraded to kde 3.4 but now i cant login. If i enter username+pass and try to login the screen goes black for two seconds then im back at the login prompt anybody know why.

PS loging into fvwm2 works fine.
I noticed a similar strange behaviour when I updated KDE from KDE and restarted without reboot. Did you try to reboot?

Old 03-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #36
greenthing

Yes.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #37
abisko00

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 58
I'd say, delete the users .kde folder and try again. It may be worth checking ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/kdm.log first.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #38
greenthing

I tried to delete the .kde flder but it didnt work but i for some reason tried an apt update thinking it might hav been broken packages and it showed dependencies that YaST did not. I solved the dependencies and the problem was solved.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #39
piscikeeper

Distribution: SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 30
setting login screen wallpaper

it seems now as if KDE will no longer use wallpaper not in the correct file as login screen backgrounds.
the answer is to simply add your choice to /opt/kde3/share/wallpapers ,then select it from the drop-down menu in login screen setup.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #40
galliar

Distribution: Suse 10.2, FreeBSD 6.2

Rep: Reputation: 32
VNC not working

Hello,

I upgraded per the instructions in this forum and almost everything works. When I connect from any computer using a web browser by typing in for the address: http://xxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx:5801, I get a VNC login screen. When I login, I just get a very low res blank screen with an X for the mouse pointer. Has anybody ran into this? I re-installed the old Tight-vnc package and I still get the same problem. Using the VNC client is key to me, since I use my machine from wherever I am.

If anybody has resolved this, please let us know!!

Regards,

Randy.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:28 AM   #41
piscikeeper

kmenu icon size

just a fix for those huge new menu icons:
/home/<user>/.kde/share/config/kickerrc
under [menus] change "MenuEntryHeight=32" to something you like better (22 works well @1280x1024) ,then restart kde.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #42
YellowFin

Distribution: SuSE 10.1

i upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4, i had some of the problems listed above got them all straighten out ((thanks))
but i have one issue... when i move my mouse tio the edge of the screen it switchs to another window, i tried to disable it but no luck sereching in control panel any suggestions?

thanks , kevin

Old 04-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #43
piscikeeper

control center>desktop>window behavior
un-check "Traverse windows on all desktops"
might have to re-start kde.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #44
YellowFin

Distribution: SuSE 10.1

i tried to do that several times, but it seems to be "stuck" there

well i serached around more, and its in desktop>>window behavior>>advanced tab>>active desktop borders

thanks

Last edited by YellowFin; 04-03-2005 at 11:53 AM.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #45
piscikeeper

partial fix for cursor theme

the problem is somewhere in the kdebase3-suse package,the package that customizes kde for suse,the kmenu icon being the most noticable.by removing the package on another machine,i now have the cursor themes working.