LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
xgreen

Distribution: Slackware,Arch

Rep: Reputation: 30
swaret screw up my slack!!!!!!!!!

ha...ha.. i won't use swaret anymore.....i have to install fresh slack after upgrade....

Old 01-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
H2O-linux

Distribution: debian testing

what will not work? If swaret.conf is set to 10.0 there should be no issues. When it is set to current is where problems may arise. If you have a command prompt try swaret --dep then install the files listed.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
xgreen

Original Poster
i set it to current.....i took me 10 hrs to download 300MB packages and the result was very amazing.......it mess up my slack

Old 01-15-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Okie

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
slapt-get is pretty good, just leave the stock config in /etc to slackware's ftp and jaos is in there too, don't use any of those other mirrors at LinuxPackages.net as a mirror as they tend to screw things up too...

Old 01-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
H2O-linux

Distribution: debian testing

current is where the problems happen. Use 10.0 and only upgrade what you need to. Also always run "swaret --dep" after swaret does its own dep check. I have had the same problems. Current=not stable or even untested.

Last edited by H2O-linux; 01-15-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Old 01-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
xgreen

Original Poster
i already have the current packages inside my hard drive (from swaret) and how to update these packages using slapt-get??

Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
xgreen

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by H2O-linux
current is where the problems happen. Use 10.0 and only upgrade what you need to. Also always run "swaret --dep" after swaret does its own dep check. I have had the same problems. Current=not stable or even untested.
i am using 10.0 right now & i execute the dep check after installing the current packages....

Old 01-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
Okie

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
slapt-get is a tool that is basically apt-get from debian, i only used it to download & install upgrades from slackware's ftp, i guess you can add a location on your harddrive as a source, i never did it that way tho, i usually just run upgradepkg *tgz in a directory that has all the upgrades and in a separate directory i keep extra packages i just run installpkg *tgz

Old 01-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Ninja Cow

Distribution: Debian, Slackware, Amigo, Ubuntu

If you install Slack 10 and upgrade to current afterwards your installation is going to get hammered. Make sure you upgrade all of your 10.0 packages first, THEN upgrade to current.

That's how I do it and have not had any problems.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
slackwarefan

Distribution: Slackware

This is strange, I haven't had a problem doing an upgrade to current, although I almost killed it updating only one package (X) at a time.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
glennt11
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu,Red Hat,Centos 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs down

Well, I'm on the other side of that coin I had Slack 10.0 and updated all the packages....then tried upgrading to current(using slapt-get and swaret --dep), which broke my machine, I had all kinds of errors, I've reinstalled so I don't remember them all. But some were I couldn't compile any programs, my nvidia drivers would no longer recognize even if I used an older module, even after I made sure to change out all the *.new conf files with the older ones(and I checked to make sure there wasn't some option that was gone in the newer configs..). For me and my machine, staying away from slack-current is a good idea.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
keefaz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
Basically what swaret do is download and install/upgrade packages in your system, nothing more

But be advised that upgrade a package often install .new config files that may need to be
tweaked (and remove .new in filename)

Also when upgrading, avoid upgrade all packages at the same time if you are not sure what
will be upgraded and in which order, do that step by step.

I use swaret and have no problem with current, I have to say that I think twice when swaret
ask me if I want to download and install a package, I generally separate swaret upgrade into
logic steps, then check the .new config file if any, do the config change and then continue
the upgrade for other packages

Old 01-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
oxleyk

Distribution: Ubuntu

Don't shoot the messenger; Swaret isn't the problem.

Kent

Old 01-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #14
glennt11
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu,Red Hat,Centos 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by keefaz
Basically what swaret do is download and install/upgrade packages in your system, nothing more

But be advised that upgrade a package often install .new config files that may need to be
tweaked (and remove .new in filename)

Also when upgrading, avoid upgrade all packages at the same time if you are not sure what
will be upgraded and in which order, do that step by step.

I use swaret and have no problem with current, I have to say that I think twice when swaret
ask me if I want to download and install a package, I generally separate swaret upgrade into
logic steps, then check the .new config file if any, do the config change and then continue
the upgrade for other packages
well it sounds to me what you're saying is if you're going to do a swaret upgrade to current, practice extreme caution, because swaret doesn't check for dependencies while it installs...which I also found out the hard way.

And oxleyk I agree, I'm a dumbass, but swaret should come with a warning saying use at your own risk....which it might have, I never took the time to read all the documentation on it. There have been cases where I used swaret to install xine, and it crashed my system. Then again I always wanted a new system, I heard these ECS motherboards are crap now...ah well all I was saying for the most part is use caution when upgrading your packages.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
Phathead

Distribution: Slackware 10.1, Slamd64 10.1, IpCop 1.4

Rep: Reputation: 15
Swaret isn't really an official slackware application, so by default it's a use-at-your-own-risk application. That said, I use it to do completely unattended upgrades on a production machine. That box only updates the 10.0 files.

My home computer gets updated to current about every week. The things you have to be careful with swaret is never upgrade the kernel with swaret, don't upgrade lilo or swaret itself with swaret.

No, swaret doesn't do much dependency checking, but it does virtually automate the process of finding and installing updates to Slackware. For that reason alone, I find it indespensable.