LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
alxndr
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Where to get Suse 9.1 Pro for cheap?

Hello, as posted, where can I get the cheapest 9.1 pro version? Lowest I can find is $60 for the retail package. Anybody who can give a suggestion? Retail or otherwse, doesn't matter as long as it's complete. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
gandalf79
LQ Newbie

Why do you want/need the professional version as opposed to the personal version?

If all you want is the larger selection of packages, then I suggest you use the free personal version. After you install that, you can download additional packages from an ftp mirror. This is very simple process. All you need to do is add an ftp mirror as an installation source in yast (under change source of installation). The open Add and Remove Software, select the packages you want, click accept, and your are done. Doing this gives you the same packages you would have with the professional version. And you can't beet the price.

If you need it to support the 64 bit architecture then you can download the installation CD and install directly from the ftp site. This will take longer but again you can't beet the price.

If you just want the books...well you can find a lot of free documentation on the Internet.

If you still just want the retail version I don't think you can find a better price than $60 but I could be wrong there.

Hope this helps
Justus

Old 10-23-2004, 07:01 AM   #3
djk2450
LQ Newbie

fry's electronics has the suse 9.1 for $40. that's where i got mine. that is also normal price. you might also try the ebay route. Peace and God bless. dan

Old 10-23-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
v1pEr

Distribution: winxp + suse 10.1 dual boot

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by gandalf79
Why do you want/need the professional version as opposed to the personal version?

If all you want is the larger selection of packages, then I suggest you use the free personal version. After you install that, you can download additional packages from an ftp mirror. This is very simple process. All you need to do is add an ftp mirror as an installation source in yast (under change source of installation). The open Add and Remove Software, select the packages you want, click accept, and your are done. Doing this gives you the same packages you would have with the professional version. And you can't beet the price.

Justus
Can you please tell me what this ftp mirror is? or are they already standard built-in in YOU?

thx in advance

Old 10-23-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
ojasom

Distribution: ?

you could do an ftp install from scratch. download the ISO boot disk from one of these sites, burn it with an iso burner (k3b on suse, or deepburner on windows). boot your computer with this disk. when the boot screen comes up select manual install, then the kernel will load and a screen with some options will appear. Select install modules. On the next list select install network cards. Install your network card module (if you need to get this info from windows do that, manufacturer documents). then, go back and select start installation. select network installation. select ftp. you'll also need to find the ip address of the ftp website--to do this open a dos prompt or unix shell and ping the website. the installation will then prompt you for this ip address. it will ask you if you want to use a password--select no. then it will ask you if you want to use stp, blah, blah...select no. it will prompt you for the directory (example /suse/i386/9.1) then it will load info into ram disk. then it will start yast. there you go.
http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...t_mirrors.html

Belgium
ftp.skynet.be/mirror/suse.com/ftp.suse.com/

(Brussels)
complete

ftp.belnet.be/linux/suse/

axp, i386, ppc, sparc

mirrors.telenet.be/mirrors/ftp.suse.com/

i386 (current distribution only)

Old 10-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
gandalf79
LQ Newbie

To: v1pEr

You can find a list of mirrors on the suse web site here. http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...t_mirrors.html

when setting up the new installation source you need to make sure you specify the correct directory. I used "ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386/9.1" because it is the fastest server near me.

To: ojasom

Yes you can do an ftp install that way, but I feel using the free personal version is a lot faster for installing. Every time I have done an ftp install it takes hours (with cable internet). I was able to download the personal iso image, burn it, install on a blank hdd, install all the additional packages, install all updates, and be ready to go in less time than it took for previous ftp installs.

I don't know why it took so long but it did. And I tried many different servers.

Not to mention if you want to install more than once, as I often do, you do not have to download the packages on the personal version more than once.

Justus

Old 10-23-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
tigerflag

Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2012.08

Rep: Reputation: 30
I got it the Pro version for about $12 from a vendor at Amazon.com. Do a search on Amazon...

Old 10-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #8
ChrisR(SQL DBA)

Quote:
Originally posted by djk2450
fry's electronics has the suse 9.1 for $40. that's where i got mine. that is also normal price. you might also try the ebay route. Peace and God bless. dan

Do you know if you get any sort of support with the $40 version?

Old 10-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #9
v1pEr

Distribution: winxp + suse 10.1 dual boot

Quote:
Originally posted by gandalf79
To: v1pEr

You can find a list of mirrors on the suse web site here. http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...t_mirrors.html

when setting up the new installation source you need to make sure you specify the correct directory. I used "ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386/9.1" because it is the fastest server near me.
WOW thx, you really helped me, I can dl a lot of stuff now, thx, I didn't know this

Old 10-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
dkpw

Distribution: LinuxMint16 & Ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 30
eBay as a source

You can normally find very reasonable deals for the Pro versions of SuSE in either DVD or CD format on eBay. There are usually both sets available for about £5-£6 and this can include postage. I bought the Pro version of 9.0 on eBay for £4.99.

Usuful for those without broadband or who cannot be bothered to download 5 CDs worth.

dkpw

Old 10-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #11
svinka

Distribution: SuSE 9.3 Professional, Kubuntu 5.04, Ubuntu 5.04, Knoppix 4.0

I got a problem. When I try to add an installation source, i choose ftp, right the name and the directory click ok and... This comes up:

Details:
ERROR(InstSrc E_no_instrc_on_media)
What the hell does that mean? What did I do wrong???

Old 10-24-2004, 10:55 PM   #12
ojasom

Distribution: ?

I get the same problem with any installation source that i try to add. I have successfully done an ftp install from scratch many times, but i have yet to be able to add an installation source after i've installed it. I went and bought the $90 package at compusa, and i still can add a new source. i think that i just need to do some studying to understand suse 9.1 better but i still like it better than all the other distros that i've tried.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:34 AM   #13
out_west
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Suse 9.1

you need to specify the 'yast' ftp directory when you add an installation source.

if you correctly navigate to the correct ftp directory, there should be a file called 'yast directlry blah' or something...when you add this, the error goes away cause yast has all the info it needs to search for packages or whatever.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:08 PM   #14
Cynthia Blue

Distribution: SuSe 9.1

Ahhh it all makes sense now.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #15
syphoncode.32

Distribution: SuSE, Vector, Slackware

Thats exactly what i did, jus download 9.1 personal, changed the yast installation source to a couple ftp mirrors, mainnly for kde and gnome stuff. One thing to remember is that 9.1 personal doesnt include gcc or kernal sources, so those 2 are a must to get. With all the extra stuff ive downloaded, including apt-get, cedega, etc...I basically have the professional version now